The Student Room Group

Resitting as maths with a2 modules

is it alot of work?

Scroll to see replies

Please help guys
Original post by geography1294
Please help guys

I resat 2 of my 3 AS maths modules, along with the three A2 modules. Obviously a-level maths is kind of a lot of work anyway, but I didn't find it too bad doing the extra. The core 1 and core 2 are built on at A2 so it isn't like you are going to forget the material in C1 and C2. I found that i understood C2 material much better after learning the A2 stuff, and actually found that exam quite easy.

Unless you really don't have an understanding of the basics of each module (in which case you probably wouldn't be doing maths A2 anyway) you probably don't need to start revision for the AS exams right at the beginning of the year. I started around january/february, and began with the topics I found hardest. Overall it's very doable to have resits along with A2 exams, the only issue is when the exams actually start happening and they can be a little overwhelming if you have a lot. But, AS exams tend to be earlier than A2 so don't let that put you off.
Original post by katiemfob
I resat 2 of my 3 AS maths modules, along with the three A2 modules. Obviously a-level maths is kind of a lot of work anyway, but I didn't find it too bad doing the extra. The core 1 and core 2 are built on at A2 so it isn't like you are going to forget the material in C1 and C2. I found that i understood C2 material much better after learning the A2 stuff, and actually found that exam quite easy.

Unless you really don't have an understanding of the basics of each module (in which case you probably wouldn't be doing maths A2 anyway) you probably don't need to start revision for the AS exams right at the beginning of the year. I started around january/february, and began with the topics I found hardest. Overall it's very doable to have resits along with A2 exams, the only issue is when the exams actually start happening and they can be a little overwhelming if you have a lot. But, AS exams tend to be earlier than A2 so don't let that put you off.

What did you get first time? and what did you get after the resit?
What did you get first time? and what did you get after the resit?

at AS i got a D in maths, with a C in core 1 and 2 and a U in decision.
I resat core 2 and decision, got an A in core 2 (89 UMS) and still only a D in decision, but with my A2 modules got a B overall.
at AS i got a D in maths, with a C in core 1 and 2 and a U in decision.
I resat core 2 and decision, got an A in core 2 (89 UMS) and still only a D in decision, but with my A2 modules got a B overall.

Hello, So would you say I wouldnt be out of my depth? I know my content, its just in the exam , i forgot the simplest things, like how to solve quadratics. Also last year, I didnt finish one exam, and I cried for a couple days after. When I go into an exam, I know my content, but the aim is always just to finish if you know what I mean? It messes up my grade
Reply 6
I resat all 3 of the modules this year, so ended up with 6 exams. I pulled my grade up from 183/300 or 61% and a C at AS, to 454/600 or 75.7% and a B at A2. For me i don't think that it was too difficult, with dedication to revising for the exams (which i didn't start until a month before the first exam) the Core modules are so early in the exam season, it shouldn't really effect the other modules.

I went from a B in C1, a D in C2, and a D in D1 to a B in C1, an A in C2, a B in C3, an A in C4, a B in S1 and a B in D1

Honestly, resitting the exams is a good option in my opinion as you have a broader and better understanding of maths. Hope my experiences help you in your decision. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, So would you say I wouldnt be out of my depth? I know my content, its just in the exam , i forgot the simplest things, like how to solve quadratics. Also last year, I didnt finish one exam, and I cried for a couple days after. When I go into an exam, I know my content, but the aim is always just to finish if you know what I mean? It messes up my grade

I think if you're pretty confident with the content and it was more a case of some bad exams then you definitely won't be out of your depth. If you have trouble finishing some exams have you considered seeing if you'd be eligible for extra time?

Otherwise, issues with forgetting basic stuff when under pressure (and i've definitely done that) may not occur next year, when you'll have more exam experience, and doing lots of timed exam practice helps with that as well
I think if you're pretty confident with the content and it was more a case of some bad exams then you definitely won't be out of your depth. If you have trouble finishing some exams have you considered seeing if you'd be eligible for extra time?

Otherwise, issues with forgetting basic stuff when under pressure (and i've definitely done that) may not occur next year, when you'll have more exam experience, and doing lots of timed exam practice helps with that as well

The thing is also, It takes me a lot of time to understand what a questions is asking of me too so i dont know
The thing is also, It takes me a lot of time to understand what a questions is asking of me too so i dont know

it's probably worth looking into extra time in that case, if you have a tutor at college they would probably know where to direct you, or someone in student support, or any of your teachers really. you'd just do some sort of test (i don't know the specifics of it though) and then you could perhaps get 10% or 25% more time.
it's probably worth looking into extra time in that case, if you have a tutor at college they would probably know where to direct you, or someone in student support, or any of your teachers really. you'd just do some sort of test (i don't know the specifics of it though) and then you could perhaps get 10% or 25% more time.

I'm going to go to look into it. Although do you think that it would be possible to achieve an A grade in maths considering I do know the content well, its just that I panick in exams hall, all though I appear calm. I didnt revise for my jan mocks, and got the same grades as I did when I put in the effort.
I'm going to go to look into it. Although do you think that it would be possible to achieve an A grade in maths considering I do know the content well, its just that I panick in exams hall, all though I appear calm. I didnt revise for my jan mocks, and got the same grades as I did when I put in the effort.

from what i can tell, yeah i do think you could get an A
from what i can tell, yeah i do think you could get an A

The aim was for me to start resit revision this week, and be finish with c1 and c2 by christmas, is that too much
Reply 13
I know someone who resat all AS maths modules this year as well as taking the A2 ones.
Got a B at AS last year, got an A* at A2 this year.
The aim was for me to start resit revision this week, and be finish with c1 and c2 by christmas, is that too much

it sounds reasonable, since you'll find your A2 workload increases after christmas. the only thing would be if you think you'd forget the material by the time the exams come around, but just reviewing the material in the weeks before the exam might be enough
If you start Core 3 early before school starts and try and get ahead of the class then that could help.
Original post by bradnom
I know someone who resat all AS maths modules this year as well as taking the A2 ones.
Got a B at AS last year, got an A* at A2 this year.

What subjects did he do? At AS was he close to an A grade?
it sounds reasonable, since you'll find your A2 workload increases after christmas. the only thing would be if you think you'd forget the material by the time the exams come around, but just reviewing the material in the weeks before the exam might be enough

We've only got 3 more chapters of C3 left tho

I really dont hope I'm getting my hopes up for no reason, and it ends up backfiring.
Reply 19
What subjects did he do? At AS was he close to an A grade?

Decision maths

And no, literally scraped the B

Quick Reply

Latest