The Student Room Group

Am I entitled to be disappointed with last year's GCSE results

I'm still kind of disappointed now, a whole year later. I did OK. I wanted to do AMAZING.

I got my AS level results the other day. They were mediocre (BBC + an E in a subject I'm dropping). But these are A levels. They are much harder, I'm ok with not doing that well at them. I had low expectations, especially knowing I lacked motivation this year, and had been going through some sh*t.

However at GCSE I expected to get at least 6 A*s. Instead I got 4 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs and a C. I was really pissed off with myself. GCSEs are known to be quite easy (at least they were when I did them) and I worked really, really hard for them. I feel like I deserved more A*s, but the year I took them in they'd made A*s harder to obtain, which I think is why I didn't achieve what I thought I was on track to achieve.

My whole family was over the moon with what I got. But I couldn't be happy. My dad told me I was selfish for not letting them be happy for me and threatened me with violence for not pretending to be happy about my result around relatives, resulting in a huge ugly family argument. I was already depressed that summer but those results really made it worse.
I posted on here a year ago about them and got called a c**t for being disappointed with them. I was shocked as this is TSR, where most people seem to get like at least 8 or more A*s in their GCSEs. I thought people would be sympathetic.

So was I being unreasonable?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I still feel insecure now. At college in a lot of my classes, the majority of people seemed to have done much better in their GCSEs than me.
Why not?
But everyone has different abilities. Therefore surely I'm allowed to be disappointed with what I got despite the fact other people would be happy if they got the same.

Objectively, my results were not stellar, so many people get 5 or more A* grades. GCSEs are easy.
Reply 4
Hello! I know how you feel. Slightly different because I was expecting maybe 3A*'s and got 7 and 3A's, and to start with I was really happy but when I decided to apply for medicine I knew most people would have 10. I was gutted because my 3A's were each just 1 UMS off the A*! I'm not complaining, it's a good set of results but I can relate with that feeling of not being entirely happy. I can relate to the self harm as well, I've been in a very similar situation as you but my parents never knew - but they won't understand your feelings as you've probably done amazingly in their minds but just aren't really taking your thoughts into consideration - I get that a lot at home as well, with my grades and admissions tests and stuff, and it sucks and makes things really hard. Have you tried explaining to them why you aren't happy?

Spoiler

Reply 6
I think you have every right to be upset about this. If it wasn't what you expected and wasn't what you wanted then it's fine to be upset. In the end, you weren't (or didnt seem to) wanting to be pleasing anyone else other than yourself, and I think that it's fine to be upset if it's only for meeting your own standards.
But you possibly need to consider the context of these results. If you're posting these on a site where people haven't necessarily done as well, then it's a given that they may be upset if you bash those grades.
(but tbh as long as you did your best you should be proud of yourself!! take pride in your high standards for yourself!!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh I think your grades are quite good, if they were my grades I'd be happy
Reply 8
Please, don't be like this! Everyone has different expectations - it depends on so many things; what school you go to, what your friends get, what your teachers expect, your own ability and expectations...for example most people at my school got 10A*'s and I only got 7 which is obviously still very good but I remember feeling gutted that my 3 A's were all 1UMS off the A*! It's different for everyone so please don't compare yourself to this situation because you don't know how other people are feeling about it. I'm not trying to be rude, but just sticking up for something I can relate to :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Guys, this isn't about how you would feel if you had got those grades, please have some respect for other people's expectations - while many people would indeed be happy with those grades, as I said in my previous post it depends on so many things :smile: Every situation is different
Yes, most people would be thrilled to receive those results, but you cannot help if you are disappointed?
I am sorry that the consequences were so difficult for you, and I do wish that you had someone to talk to who was a little more understanding, that couldn't have been easy at all.
You shouldn't still be disappointed, since you can't change the past now. No matter how much you worry and feel down, that won't change your results.
Try to focus on what is happening now, and work towards your A level goals. Hopefully, one day, you'll be able to feel happier with your results, and I hope that day is soon for you
It really pissed me off how the dumb kids commented on my thread last year saying "I worked my @ss off and got Ds, so you should be happy, you ungrateful so and so". And I was like "um no, clearly you didn't work hard, otherwise you wouldn't have failed the easiest, most basic qualifications there are". I have no reason to be grateful. I wasn't given these results. I had to work for them. And if I don't feel they match up to the amount of work I put in, then I am right to be disappointed.
Original post by TheEccentric
I'm still kind of disappointed now, a whole year later. I did OK. I wanted to do AMAZING.

I got my AS level results the other day. They were mediocre (BBC + an E in a subject I'm dropping). But these are A levels. They are much harder, I'm ok with not doing that well at them. I had low expectations, especially knowing I lacked motivation this year, and had been going through some sh*t.

However at GCSE I expected to get at least 6 A*s. Instead I got 4 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs and a C. I was really pissed off with myself. GCSEs are known to be quite easy (at least they were when I did them) and I worked really, really hard for them. I feel like I deserved more A*s, but the year I took them in they'd made A*s harder to obtain, which I think is why I didn't achieve what I thought I was on track to achieve.

My whole family was over the moon with what I got. But I couldn't be happy. I ended up self harming in secret, was obviously depressed with what I got and my family picked up on it. My dad told me I was selfish for not letting them be happy for me and threatened me with violence for not pretending to be happy about my result around relatives, resulting in a huge ugly family argument. I was already depressed that summer but those results really made it worse.
I posted on here a year ago about them and got called a c**t for being disappointed with them. I was shocked as this is TSR, where most people seem to get like at least 8 or more A*s in their GCSEs. I thought people would be sympathetic.

it happened a year over and your still upset over itt?
Original post by Hashtosh302
it happened a year over and your still upset over itt?

Yep
It's okay to feel a bit dissapointed, but not okay to obsess over it

Concentrate on your A Levels and aim for the best you can in those
Original post by Serine Soul
It's okay to feel a bit dissapointed, but not okay to obsess over it

Concentrate on your A Levels and aim for the best you can in those

I struggle to not obsess. I have mental issues tbh. Not a specific disorder or illness, I'm just genuinely depressed and miserable
It really pissed me off how the dumb kids commented on my thread last year saying "I worked my @ss off and got Ds, so you should be happy, you ungrateful so and so". And I was like "um no, clearly you didn't work hard, otherwise you wouldn't have failed the easiest, most basic qualifications there are". I have no reason to be grateful. I wasn't given these results. I had to work for them. And if I don't feel they match up to the amount of work I put in, then I am right to be disappointed.

maybe their just not smart
you have every right to feel upset as you didn't meet the expectations you set yourself - the people saying stuff like 'you should be glad you got that, I'd be over the moon' have lower expectations and are just ignorant

My whole family was over the moon with what I got. But I couldn't be happy. I ended up self harming in secret, was obviously depressed with what I got and my family picked up on it. My dad told me I was selfish for not letting them be happy for me and threatened me with violence for not pretending to be happy about my result around relatives, resulting in a huge ugly family argument. I was already depressed that summer but those results really made it worse.

You have the right to be disappointed with them, but self-harming I'd say is taking it a bit too far. Calm down and understand that they're good grades, and it's A-levels that matter.
You do have the right to be disappointed if you feel like you haven't met your personal expectations (which is respectable). However, what's been done is done. You shouldn't dwell over it now as it will affect your future results on A-level by occupying your mind over GCSE's. You may have disappointed your self but there's always space for redemption to make your self proud. Don't give up OP.

Quick Reply

Latest