The Student Room Group

Aspiring Doctor - Disappointing AS results

Hiya, StudentRoom
I got my AS-level results today and, out of my four subjects, the only one I was pleased with was French, which was an A.
My other three subjects (the ones that I NEED) were lower. Biology was a high B, just far enough from an A that a remark wouldn't help. Maths was a middling B, which to be honest I kind of expected. And Chemistry was a middling C, which left me distraught, as I had been performing to a much higher standard throughout the year and generally do well in exams. I had been predicted four A's. Obviously I did not get that.
I'm arranging to have a meeting with my three teachers (and the fourth, to tell her that I'm dropping French: I spent way too much time focusing on it and that was stupid of me, and I need to concentrate on the important subjects now) but the earliest they can see me is a week from now.
I just wanted to gauge opinions here, and see if anyone thinks it would be possible for me to bring that BBC (haha, I just realised the acronym) up to AAA by A2.
I'll say again that I normally perform well in exams, and that my ten GCSE grades were all A*'s. I've also recently completed the UKCAT exam, and I'm really pleased with my result.
I live in Northern Ireland but my first choice for university would be Edinburgh.
If you wanted to know.
It's just that I'm aware there would be a TON of work involved in bringing up grades up, and that most medical schools won't accept resits.
Maybe someone out there has a similar story with a happy ending? Please?
Thanks.
Yes, it is indeed possible for BBC->AAA. Resits within the two years for modules are usually fine for med schools.
Original post by Alternatively
Hiya, StudentRoom
I got my AS-level results today and, out of my four subjects, the only one I was pleased with was French, which was an A.
My other three subjects (the ones that I NEED) were lower. Biology was a high B, just far enough from an A that a remark wouldn't help. Maths was a middling B, which to be honest I kind of expected. And Chemistry was a middling C, which left me distraught, as I had been performing to a much higher standard throughout the year and generally do well in exams. I had been predicted four A's. Obviously I did not get that.
I'm arranging to have a meeting with my three teachers (and the fourth, to tell her that I'm dropping French: I spent way too much time focusing on it and that was stupid of me, and I need to concentrate on the important subjects now) but the earliest they can see me is a week from now.
I just wanted to gauge opinions here, and see if anyone thinks it would be possible for me to bring that BBC (haha, I just realised the acronym) up to AAA by A2.
I'll say again that I normally perform well in exams, and that my ten GCSE grades were all A*'s. I've also recently completed the UKCAT exam, and I'm really pleased with my result.
I live in Northern Ireland but my first choice for university would be Edinburgh.
If you wanted to know.
It's just that I'm aware there would be a TON of work involved in bringing up grades up, and that most medical schools won't accept resits.
Thanks.

The really hard part here will be the C in chem, trying to get predicted an A from a C will be hard, but that will be the only obstacle. Providing you can get predicted AAA you should be fine applying.
Hiya, StudentRoom
If you wanted to know.
Thanks.

I understand your disappointment as I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago, and it is completely possible to go from ABBC to AAA at A2! Only thing I would say is to thoroughly check admissions criteria and apply to your strengths. E.g. Don't apply to unis asking for all As at AS, but use your good GCSEs and UKCAT score to apply to unis looking at that instead. Best of luck.
Reply 4
You just need to work hard to convince your Chemistry teacher to predict you that A.

Most importantly for you, you've shown previous academic achievement with your great GCSE so you know that you're capable of doing well. You're aware of what went wrong because you put in too much time with French which you shouldn't have.

Rethink. Re-strategise and forget about the disappointment you're feeling and motivate yourself to work hard to get those A2 A's!

Also: what's wrong with dropping Maths and keeping French? Obviously, do what you enjoy but you seem to be doing better at French than Maths so you need to give yourself the best chance of getting AAA at A2!
Thank you so much for your quick responses!
I have contacted my universities of choice to inquire about my situation and I should get a response back within the next week. I have also messaged all of my current teachers to get their opinions.
Kovothe the arcane, I'm so glad to hear you say that! I know that if I could just repeat one Chemistry module, I'd be golden. I would just hate to ruin my chances of even being considered for application by going ahead with a repeat only to find out my chosen universities aren't cool with it.
To answer your question, JayAhm, the reason I have decided to forego French is that I know its workload would increase even from last year's insane amount, and I cannot afford to focus that much time on a language (which I love) when I need to improve in my other three subjects. I also love Maths, you see, and - although this isn't a real excuse - my timetable meant I had to switch teachers from possibly my favourite of any subject ever (with whom I got nearly 100% in two GCSEs) to someone I frankly cannot learn from.
Truth be told, it was my old Maths teacher that I emailed rather than the new one. I know that's unfair, but I can't seem to get past it. The new one is lovely, and we get along well. She just can't teach, god love her ...
Hey, Komodo dragon, what a terrific nickname! Yes, my first choice would be Edinburgh University and they focus a lot more on the UKCAT as long as I have the minimum A-level grades (which I fully intend to get. *Gonna Fly Now fades in as I apply war paint and a bandana, and break into summer revision*)
Natalierm2707, I was so worried about predicted grades for a bit yesterday, but I have a very good relationship with both my Biology and Chemistry teachers, both of whom have assured me - even with the B and C - that they intend to predict a final A grade.
(Plus, JayAhm, I couldn't take French now, anyway. I already sent a break-up email to Madame 😅)
Thanks again, everyone!
Reply 6

(Plus, JayAhm, I couldn't take French now, anyway. I already sent a break-up email to Madame 😅)

Lol, 'it's not you, it's me!'

Your predictions are the only thing you need to worry about for the next month or two and it looks like there's nothing to worry about! If your Bio and Chem predict an A, Maths will be no problem predicted an A (as you achieved B).

So you're sorted with the predictions! AAA

Now all you have to do is nail A2 and achieve AAA!

Good luck with your forthcoming UCAS application and also with your A2 year!
Reply 7
Hiya, StudentRoom
If you wanted to know.
Thanks.

Definitely possible, I got ABC at AS and got AAA at A2. It will require a lot of hard work but if you want it enough you can do it.
hey i want to do medicine as well,i got an A in spanish and DDD in maths,bio and chem ,i was shocked to see these results as i have never got such bad grades,dont know what to do now but looking at you worrying about Bs i think i should just give up.I dont think any of my teacher will predict me an A
Original post by Juststudent
hey i want to do medicine as well,i got an A in spanish and DDD in maths,bio and chem ,i was shocked to see these results as i have never got such bad grades,dont know what to do now but looking at you worrying about Bs i think i should just give up.I dont think any of my teacher will predict me an A

If you really want to do medicine work really hard during A2, resit some exams and get those Ds up to A grades, then apply during a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending