The Student Room Group

Should I Quit My Duke Of Edinburgh? Please Help

Poll

Should I drop out and quit or continue?

Hey, so my silver award expedition is supposed to take place in less than three weeks, but I'm seriously considering dropping out😕

At our last practice expedition, three people in our group (of 7) were being really rude to me and two other people. One of the girls actually told us to our faces to drop out and go home, and I was ready to kick her up the as* by this stage. Our team never works together either, so the three of them walk on and leave us behind, then when we catch up they make us walk at the front and then they roll their eyes at us and slabber about us and other stupid things that are just downright rude. We were supposed to write our route cards for our expedition, but so far me and my friend have been the only people doing them. It's like those other girls that are rude to us are just using us to get their award.

Another problem is the teachers. On the second day of our practice, one member of our group got hurt and had to be sent back to camp, so one of the teachers (the nice one) told me and my friend to go back to camp with her, incase anything happened on our way so one of us could stay with her and the other get help. When we got back, another teacher who used to like me shouted at us for at least half an hour, because at this point we hadn't finished a whole day's walking, as we got lost the day before and we're going to be late back to camp and went in the teachers' cars. She then asked us individually if we wanted to keep doing Duke of Ed, so the girl that got hurt said she wasn't sure and my friend said 'not really but I probably will anyway'. I, on the other hand, said yes, because I didn't want to quit it (ironic😂😂) So that teacher just told me to work on my fitness, which was fine, and to bring less in my bag, which was too heavy and weighed 3 3/4 stone, and ended up slowing me down a lot, because I was finding it painful to carry after several hours. As a matter of fact, when we left to get into the teachers' cars, another teacher lifted my bag to load it in and said that the weight was actually dangerous😁
Lately, a list of names of people in each group were posted and I wasn't on it. I assumed it was a typo, but we weren't sure so my mum spoke to one of the other teachers, and he said 'it must have been a typing error'. He called us back the next day to say that he called one of the other teachers (the one who shouted at us and used to like me) and she said it wasn't a mistake, and that when she asked me, I SAID I WASN'T DOING IT. I clearly said yes, and she knew that because she mentioned about improving my fitness for the real thing, so obviously then I was keeping at it.

This argument has been going on for several days, and at this point, I'm just sick of it all. One part of me wants to keep doing it to rub their faces in it and prove some of the people in my group wrong, but another part of me is, as I said, sick of it and just wants to give up. It's even annoying my family, and my mum was crying because of it all and I feel really bad for being the cause of that.

Please tell me what you think I should do, because I'm beating myself up about it and I just want to make a decision.
As a group stand up to the ones being horrible to you guys and tell them to grow up and cut the attitude. It'll seem hard to muster up the courage but they need a reality check to not be so rude in the future
But don't quit now. In the future you'll encounter lots of difficult things and situations, you'll be so proud of yourself once you complete it. It's just one weekend then it's done, that's it! Don't back down now, pester the teacher person and keep telling her you want to do it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pinkberry_y
As a group stand up to the ones being horrible to you guys and tell them to grow up and cut the attitude. It'll seem hard to muster up the courage but they need a reality check to not be so rude in the future

Thanks, do you have any idea what I could do concerning the teachers? My mum's looking to get the principal involved and I'm not sure what to do
Original post by LittleIrishGeek
Thanks, do you have any idea what I could do concerning the teachers? My mum's looking to get the principal involved and I'm not sure what to do

Do it. They can't just tell you you're no longer doing the expedition anymore
I would honestly just finish it, you might as well because of all the time and effort you have put into it. Make sure you have a light bag this time, take out hairbrushes and things you don't really need.
Even if it sounds disgusting, it will be much better for your back. I've just recently completed by Gold and my bag for Gold was lighter than Bronze or Silver ever was.
Make sure you take freeze dried food for dinner - its the lightest to carry and
dried fruit for snacks.
Make sure you check the weather, if it looks like it is going to rain, take more spare clothes etc, if it is sunny, take less.
And if anyone is rude to them, show them that their words don't affect you at all, and answer them back if needs be.
You're going to be with them for at least 3 days, so perhaps at the start cut to the ******** and just say that you aren't having anyone being rude or mean to each other because teamwork is a key part of DofE anyway.
( I know a group who failed because they kept arguing)
But best of luck, try your hardest to pass and make sure all of your team mates and you, know what to do and are prepared for the expedition :smile:
Original post by Hannah003
I would honestly just finish it, you might as well because of all the time and effort you have put into it. Make sure you have a light bag this time, take out hairbrushes and things you don't really need.
Even if it sounds disgusting, it will be much better for your back. I've just recently completed by Gold and my bag for Gold was lighter than Bronze or Silver ever was.
Make sure you take freeze dried food for dinner - its the lightest to carry and
dried fruit for snacks.
Make sure you check the weather, if it looks like it is going to rain, take more spare clothes etc, if it is sunny, take less.
And if anyone is rude to them, show them that their words don't affect you at all, and answer them back if needs be.
You're going to be with them for at least 3 days, so perhaps at the start cut to the ******** and just say that you aren't having anyone being rude or mean to each other because teamwork is a key part of DofE anyway.
( I know a group who failed because they kept arguing)
But best of luck, try your hardest to pass and make sure all of your team mates and you, know what to do and are prepared for the expedition :smile:

Thank you, I'll definitely think about it!😊
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Do it. They can't just tell you you're no longer doing the expedition anymore

Okay, thanks😊
Reply 7
I agree, it's only for a couple of days and after that, you never have to see those people again! Good luck with it
Reply 8
I agree, it's only for a couple of days and after that, you never have to see those people again! Good luck with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest