The Student Room Group

Getting into medicine with these AS grades

Hi, I recently got my AS grades (history = B maths = B chemistry = D biology = C). I am dropping maths and taking on the rest onto A2 . I want to apply for medicine this year but am unsure as to whether I'll be able to get in with these grades. I am also considering maybe applying anyway and taking a year out and then applying next year with my A Level grades or doing a different degree in radiography or medical science. I'm not sure which is the best option for me or if I will be able to get in with these grades. Would anyone be able to offer any advice? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jessie Davis
Hi, I recently got my AS grades (history = B maths = B chemistry = D biology = C). I am dropping maths and taking on the rest onto A2 . I want to apply for medicine this year but am unsure as to whether I'll be able to get in with these grades. I am also considering maybe applying anyway and taking a year out and then applying next year with my A Level grades or doing a different degree in radiography or medical science. I'm not sure which is the best option for me or if I will be able to get in with these grades. Would anyone be able to offer any advice? Thank you :smile:

I am in the exact same situ as you right now! My AS results are ABDU (geog bio chem maths) and I'm really confused as to what to do! From what other people have told me, it depends whether you REALLY wanna do medicine, if you really want to then I'd go with the plan you've said above and get the grades in year 13 then reapply then, after a gap year. If you on the other hand want to go to uni next year and could do a different degree like radiography, paramedic, biology and then get grad entry medicine, that's also an option (but grad entry med is really hard to get into and apply for than undergrad so keep that in mind). Overall I'd say it's up to you (really bad advice sorry) but maybe work really hard this year and try and get AAA but apply for like 2 med courses and 3 others and see what happens. :smile:

Unless you have had some compelling personal circumstances that have impacted your results it's hard to see how you can be predicted the grades you'd need for a medical school application. Even IF you could convince your teachers to predict AAA it is not likely that universities would think such an outcome was likely. If these grades are a surprise and you are very confident you can change your approach and make massive improvement then applying in a gap year with the required grades may be an option. Talk to people who have a good insight into your potential but it looks like an alternative path is your best option. I'm a bit surprised to see you dropping maths when it's one of your better subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Unless you have had some compelling personal circumstances that have impacted your results it's hard to see how you can be predicted the grades you'd need for a medical school application. Even IF you could convince your teachers to predict AAA it is not likely that universities would think such an outcome was likely. If these grades are a surprise and you are very confident you can change your approach and make massive improvement then applying in a gap year with the required grades may be an option. Talk to people who have a good insight into your potential but it looks like an alternative path is your best option. I'm a bit surprised to see you dropping maths when it's one of your better subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM
Reply 4

There are two important things.

Short term - To get predicted AAA on your UCAS application

Long term - To try and achieve AAA at A2.

It'll be hard to be predicted AAA due to your AS but in the event that you are, then you could have a shot with an application this year.

More importantly, even if you don't get any offers, you need to achieve AAA at A2. If you get this and you still want to do medicine, then don't do an alternative degree! Take a gap year and re-apply with achieved grades. If you don't achieve AAA, then an alternative degree would be the best option with grad medicine if you still wish to pursue after your degree.
Hi, I'm sorta in the same boat as you (AAAB) but a B in chemistry, what are my chances for med? I will try and talk to my teacher to give me a A prediction for chem but if that doesnt happens what then?

Sorry this was the only thread i could find to post my concerns
Reply 6
Original post by HotChocolate007
Hi, I'm sorta in the same boat as you (AAAB) but a B in chemistry, what are my chances for med? I will try and talk to my teacher to give me a A prediction for chem but if that doesnt happens what then?

Sorry this was the only thread i could find to post my concerns

You have excellent AS grades and nothing to worry about. You shouldn't have a problem getting your school to predict you one grade above which is the norm. Congratulations on your results
Original post by JayAhm
You have excellent AS grades and nothing to worry about. You shouldn't have a problem getting your school to predict you one grade above which is the norm. Congratulations on your results

Thanks, I'm worried though my school tends to predict us our AS grades for our A2. Hopefully i can talk to my teachers though and see what they say
Hey, I just got my As results, they are really bad,I wanted to do medicine but I got DDD in biology,chemistry and maths, I also got an A in Spanish,I really want to study medicine as I know I am capable of getting A grades, I don't think any university will accept me with these As grades, I was thinking about not applying this year and work really hard in A2,and then take a gap year because I really don't want to do anything else accept medicine,I got really good gcses as well, I have booked ukcat for this year as I thought I would get really good grades but don't know what to do with that now.Does anyone think there's a way I can get into medicine,help please!!
Original post by Juststudent
Hey, I just got my As results, they are really bad,I wanted to do medicine but I got DDD in biology,chemistry and maths, I also got an A in Spanish,I really want to study medicine as I know I am capable of getting A grades, I don't think any university will accept me with these As grades, I was thinking about not applying this year and work really hard in A2,and then take a gap year because I really don't want to do anything else accept medicine,I got really good gcses as well, I have booked ukcat for this year as I thought I would get really good grades but don't know what to do with that now.Does anyone think there's a way I can get into medicine,help please!!

Hi, I've been thinking about my options too regarding getting into medicine with not so good AS grades. I think I'm going to do a degree in Biomedical Science and then apply for medicine as a postgraduate if I still decide I want to do it. The other option is what you said, about taking a year out. Either way is fine, you just have to decide whether you want to go to uni next year or wait a year as medicine is really what you want. I also know of the University of Buckingham which is a four year course and I think allows you to get in with A Level grades of ABB but you will have to check as I think you can only apply if you fit some quiteria but it's worth looking at. I hope that helps you and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending