The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Too late for guaranteed accommodation, need to find private housing

Sussex was my insurance choice so I am only just applying for accommodation. I was told by the housing team that although I can apply for housing I am unlikely to be allocated anywhere so should look for private housing. I don't know where to start looking and would really appreciate any advice.

Scroll to see replies

Hi i'm in the same boat as you! have you spoke to the people at Sussex accommodation?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
OMG SAME! No point asking them tho, they've told me that they cant do anything about itSo im left looking for private housing.But its best if freshers live with freshers in the first year, however in private accommodations we'll end up with masters students and stuff. Let me know what you guys are doing and where you'll search for accommodation !
Need to try and find a house share thread on Facebook, maybe ussu can help pointing you in right direction? Or get looking at local student accom agents and get a house share going
Reply 4
Hi everyone , ive submitted the form and told to expect a phone call? Has anyone heard back from them yet?
Original post by dimiguy
Hi everyone , ive submitted the form and told to expect a phone call? Has anyone heard back from them yet?

I've applied through clearing, I completed a form and I didn't hear back from them either :frown: I don't know if you are in the same situation, they didn't tell me that they would call me though.
Original post by WestboundSign
I've applied through clearing, I completed a form and I didn't hear back from them either :frown: I don't know if you are in the same situation, they didn't tell me that they would call me though.

I wasn't told i would receive a call either just that they would hopefully contact me soon and i received an e-mail telling me they're going to take 2 weeks to see if they have any on-campus accommodation left :/
Reply 7
I'm the same boat guys! I haven't even received a welcome email or anything from sussex uni and it was my insurance... hmmm
Well on the plus side, I'm not alone in having to look for accommodation last minute. Hopefully we'll all find somewhere soon.
does university REALLY start the 12th september ???
need to look for flights too 😳🙈
yep got jack **** too , kinda peak to leave everyone on clearing/insurance to get private accommodation , and a lot of the private stuff is bad
Reply 11
Am wondering if people who had Sussex as an insurance have received any welcome emails? Because i have gotten nothing from the university. :frown:
Original post by dotbot
Am wondering if people who had Sussex as an insurance have received any welcome emails? Because i have gotten nothing from the university. :frown:

i did same day i got in :/
Original post by Arei1997
yep got jack **** too , kinda peak to leave everyone on clearing/insurance to get private accommodation , and a lot of the private stuff is bad

i don't think the majority will be in private accommodation though? its just that they cannot guarantee everyone will get on-campus accommodation. The annoying thing is there is no point securing private accommodation unless you're sure the university isn't giving you any:frown:
Original post by LittleElfiee
i don't think the majority will be in private accommodation though? its just that they cannot guarantee everyone will get on-campus accommodation. The annoying thing is there is no point securing private accommodation unless you're sure the university isn't giving you any:frown:

ye in an email they said it takes more than 2 weeks for any accommodation to be given to people who arent guaranteed it if they have any , and courses start on 12th lmao
ye in an email they said it takes more than 2 weeks for any accommodation to be given to people who arent guaranteed it if they have any , and courses start on 12th lmao

yeah that's why i have no idea what to do, like surely they should be able to sort it out earlier :confused:
Original post by LittleElfiee
yeah that's why i have no idea what to do, like surely they should be able to sort it out earlier :confused:

have you looked for stuff coz i havnt found anything decent
have you looked for stuff coz i havnt found anything decent

I've been looking on this site:
https://sturents.com/student-accommodation/brighton/
and i think its pretty good, how about you?
Reply 18
Since everyone is in the same boat and I'm having a lot of trouble looking for private accommodation, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to find private accommodation with me in case Sussex can't provide us with one. At least we could have a few potential housemates on standby. I'm 18, female and starting the bioscience (foundation year) course. I'm looking to live with other freshers.

I don't mind sharing with 3-5 other people, I'm a non-smoker, no pets, don't mind mixed accommodation and would prefer a quiet environment (not a house party person).En-suite accommodation (if possible) but if not, other housemates must be able to clean up after themselves. Budget within £100-150 a week. Not too far from Sussex uni and all bills included too.

If anyone is looking for a housemate like me just message me.

*This is just in case Sussex can't accommodate us
Original post by ROY@LE
Since everyone is in the same boat and I'm having a lot of trouble looking for private accommodation, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to find private accommodation with me in case Sussex can't provide us with one.

Sounds like a great idea, I sent you a pm btw. Hopefully if a few of us get together we can find somewhere decent to stay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending