The Student Room Group

Further maths remark help!

I have gotten my results back for further maths and was wondering how much of a mistake can an examiner make? I was thinking I'd get atleast 90 UMS in fp3 but instead the UMS for each module :
fp1 - 91
m2-97
m1-93
fp3-79 (67 raw)
fp2-82 (63 raw)
d1-76
I've sent it off for a remark and also asked to get a copy of the transcript but by how many could it possibly go up? I looked at the unofficial mark scheme and everything seemed right...
Reply 1
Original post by Major-fury
I have gotten my results back for further maths and was wondering how much of a mistake can an examiner make? I was thinking I'd get atleast 90 UMS in fp3 but instead the UMS for each module :
fp1 - 91
m2-97
m1-93
fp3-79 (67 raw)
fp2-82 (63 raw)
d1-76
I've sent it off for a remark and also asked to get a copy of the transcript but by how many could it possibly go up? I looked at the unofficial mark scheme and everything seemed right...

You have an A* on the marks you've told us. What was the point of getting a re-mark?
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
You have an A* on the marks you've told us. What was the point of getting a re-mark?

I don't... I only get an A as an A* requires a 90UMS average on the A2 modules : fp3, fp2 and m2. I've gotten an A* in maths I was just hoping to get an A* in further to alleviate pressure for next year.
Reply 3
Original post by Major-fury
I don't... I only get an A as an A* requires a 90UMS average on the A2 modules : fp3, fp2 and m2. I've gotten an A* in maths I was just hoping to get an A* in further to alleviate pressure for next year.

My mistake, should have read that with my glasses on.

Stop stressing and wait for the re-mark - if it's Edexcel it should be back by Monday anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
My mistake, should have read that with my glasses on.

Stop stressing and wait for the re-mark - if it's Edexcel it should be back by Monday anyway.

I don't know I feel quite let down with the amount of work put in and money invested.. ( teacher at schools didn't really help me I had a private tutor each week for 2 hours). Also spent ages learning vectors on fp3 by myself because i didn't understand it when being taught it's just that type of feeling where you tried and yet you still dont get what you thought you would
The thing with Further Maths modules is that people only take them if they're good at maths. This means that the UMS curve is always going to harsh. Exactly why your raw 89% in FP3 turned into 79% UMS. One raw mark will probably bring it up about 3% and so on. Maths isn't very good with remarks because you're either right or wrong. Who knows, you might get an extra mark or two but unless they missed a page, unfortunately I strongly doubt it will go up too much. You need 12 UMS over FP2, FP3 and M2 for it to go up to an A*. I'd say the most you're likely to get is probably 3/4.
Reply 6
Original post by Lewishier
The thing with Further Maths modules is that people only take them if they're good at maths. This means that the UMS curve is always going to harsh. Exactly why your raw 89% in FP3 turned into 79% UMS. One raw mark will probably bring it up about 3% and so on. Maths isn't very good with remarks because you're either right or wrong. Who knows, you might get an extra mark or two but unless they missed a page, unfortunately I strongly doubt it will go up too much. You need 12 UMS over FP2, FP3 and M2 for it to go up to an A*. I'd say the most you're likely to get is probably 3/4.

I'd say i'm not bad at maths and should have the skill. I finished maths a level in year 11 and further in year 12 ( heading into year 13 now). I thought I got 100% on fp3 it was quite easy I just dont know how the hell I lost marks maybe it was my writing or something
I also had a strange mark but in M3, felt very confident in the exam and from what I remembered I got everything on the unofficial mark schemes, yet came out with 87%. But if you're confident you got everything at least see your script to see if you can spot any mistakes and then go for a remark if so :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by somevirtualguy
I also had a strange mark but in M3, felt very confident in the exam and from what I remembered I got everything on the unofficial mark schemes, yet came out with 87%. But if you're confident you got everything at least see your script to see if you can spot any mistakes and then go for a remark if so :smile:

exact thing with fp3 I have no idea where I lost 8 marks which made me get 79 ums (was a really easy paper) idk how this happened...

Quick Reply

Latest