Scroll to see replies

Retaking AS levels

Results

Subject: EPQ Predicted A / Achieved A*
Subject: English Literature Predicted B / Achieved A
Subject: Government and Politics Predicted B / Achieved A

Subject: Law Predicted B / Achieved C

Subject: General Studies Predicted: n/a (none given) / Achieved C

(Law I'm planning to retake unit 1 as I got a D in unit 1 and an A in unit 2)
Results:

Maths: Predicted A* / Achieved A
Further Maths: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
English Lang/Lit: Predicted A* / Achieved A
Physics: Predicted A / Achieved A

Firm Offer if Received:

University of Warwick - English and Creative Writing - AAA - accepted.

Insurance Offer if Received:

UCL - English - AAA - declined them.

Comments/Reactions:

I went from a BDDE to an A*AAA!!! Still in shock... I retook a year after getting an E in Further Maths but I did not expect to jump that much. Thought that A* was a misprint at first... I'm so mindblown!!
Original post by Azula
Yay I can finally do this!

AQA Biology - A*
AQA Chemistry - A*
OCR MEI Maths - A*
AQA EPQ - A
EDEXCEL Geography - B

Very happy :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, congrats what will you be doing at uni and at which uni?

Another thing I also did MEI maths and AQA biology, could you please help me?

Please tell me how you revised in detail for both of these subjects including the books you used and whether you did the questions in the books, did you watch any youtube vids to aid understanding, did you do all past papers (including old spec) and any exam tips. I would really appreciate the help because I'm retaking next year. Please be specific as possible.

In terms of maths, any tips on the C4 comprehension?

Also how did you do in all maths and Biology units?

Please reply, thanks a lot and congrats!
Reply 223
Original post by Kira Yagami
Wow, congrats what will you be doing at uni and at which uni?

Another thing I also did MEI maths and AQA biology, could you please help me?

Please tell me how you revised in detail for both of these subjects including the books you used and whether you did the questions in the books, did you watch any youtube vids to aid understanding, did you do all past papers (including old spec) and any exam tips. I would really appreciate the help because I'm retaking next year. Please be specific as possible.

In terms of maths, any tips on the C4 comprehension?

Also how did you do in all maths and Biology units?

Please reply, thanks a lot and congrats!

I'll PM :smile:
Original post by Azula

Thanks... A LOT :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Results

Maths: Predicted B / Achieved A
Further Maths: Predicted C / Achieved B
Chemistry: Predicted B / Achieved B

Firm Offer if Received

University of Birmingham - Physical Science and Engineering Foundation Year - BBB

Comments/Reactions

Was expecting a C in Chem and FM. Loads of improvement from last year. Went from BCE to ABB.
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
Results:

Maths: Predicted A* / Achieved A
Further Maths: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
English Lang/Lit: Predicted A* / Achieved A
Physics: Predicted A / Achieved A

Firm Offer if Received:

University of Warwick - English and Creative Writing - AAA - accepted.

Insurance Offer if Received:

UCL - English - AAA - declined them.

Comments/Reactions:

I went from a BDDE to an A*AAA!!! Still in shock... I retook a year after getting an E in Further Maths but I did not expect to jump that much. Thought that A* was a misprint at first... I'm so mindblown!!

I don't see how you got an A* in further maths and not maths considering further maths builds on it lol. Congrats on your results! You improved by so much:smile:
Results

Chemistry: Predicted A / Achieved A
Maths: Predicted B / Achieved A*
Physics: Predicted B / Achieved A*

Firm Offer if Received

University of Sussex - Chemistry - BBB

Insurance Offer if Received

University of Leicester - Chemistry- Unconditional

Comments/Reactions

Absolutely astonished at my A2 results, would never have expected to get the grades that I did!! Almost got 100% UMS in maths and was 3% off an A* in chemistry, but I can't ask for more. wondering whether or not to use adjustment but I don't think I will :smile:
Results

Maths/Further Maths/French
Predicted - A*AA
Achieved - A*A*A*

Grade 1 in STEP 1

Firm Offer if Received

Durham University - Maths (and Philosophy) - A*AA

University of Nottingham - Maths - AAA

Comments/Reactions

Absolutely over the moon, especially with my French grade. I knew I was capable of A*'s in all my subjects but after the exams I was really depressed about my French written paper thinking i'd bombed it and let down my teachers whom I love. Turns out I just scraped by! Oh and to think i'd have got an A* in Further Maths considering the struggle through AS, i'm so happy things have paid off. Hopefully changing course to Maths and Philosophy but DURHAM HERE I COME!!
b]Results

English Literature: predicted: A / got A
Geography: predicted B / got B
Health and Social Care: predicted A/ got A* (thank god as that was my most important A level.)

Firm Offer if Received

Derby, Course: Occupational Therapy (NHS course), 300 points (smashed it)

Liverpool, Course: occupational therapy (NHS course), BBB

Comments/Reactions
Omg I'm so thrilled at being accepted into derby. It was my fave uni. Its also nice knowing I could have got into Southampton if I had applied there since they had AAB as their requirements which I didn't think I would be able to get. Congratulations everyone, we managed to get through 2 years of HELL :smile:
Daughter's results - A* Politics (Predicted A*)

A* English, with 100%! (Predicted A)

A Philosophy (1 UMS off an A*) Predicted A

Offer for 1st choice of Bristol was AAA - she could have gone for Adjustment but decided to stick with Bristol - Politics & Philosophy.
English Language: Predicted A / Achieved A
Media Studies: Predicted A / Achieved B
Photography: Predicted B / Achieved E

Edge Hill - Media, Film and Television - BCC

I'm really disappointed about my media grade to be honest. I got an A last year and got an A in my coursework this year as well, but only managed a C in the exam which isn't like me at all. I did find the exam a little challenging because of the unseen products, but whenever I've had a bit of difficulty in the past I've always managed to find enough to write about to end up with at least a B.

Very pleased with English, but still feeling quite bittersweet about it being my best grade seeing as I decided to do a media course rather than an English course at the very last minute because the English taster session at my uni really hadn't done anything for me. I need to stop overlooking the fact that it's still an A grade just because I'm not doing it at degree level - after all, English always has been just that little bit more challenging than Media was for me. Also, I've heard people saying they marked the Media exam more harshly this year than they have done previously. Does anyone know if this is true?

Photography...well...I don't know where to start. I'd been let onto the A Level course despite not having done it at GCSE. Absolutely love photography and being creative, but absolutely DESPISED the entire A Level course. My teacher hardly seemed to know what he was doing half the time, and this became especially evident when people in the class were asking him how best to achieve a high grade in the exam and he would give different but equally vague responses each time. It was quite farcical. I did so much work for it as well! Plenty of different shoots and in-depth write-ups. If it wasn't enough, then it wasn't made clear to me. Not that I'm going to pin my failure on the way the subject was 'taught' to me (I say 'taught' because I didn't learn a thing, haha!), but I think I could have gotten at least a C if my teacher hadn't been so unintentionally cryptic when discussing exactly what I needed to do to do well in the subject. In all fairness, I hadn't taken Photography because I was serious about becoming a professional photographer, but because I wanted the opportunity to write about the meaning behind photographs I was proud of. Am I okay with an E? Certainly not, but am I going to let it take away from my other grades? I'd be mad if I did. I put a lot of effort in, but I hated the whole thing, so surely it doesn't matter too much.

Overall, I'm still trying to feel proud of myself for doing so well in English and also trying to accept that while I didn't get the Media grade I was hoping for, a B is still a good grade and that the As I received for my creative work are great! I always preferred the more hands-on side of things anyway and look forward to more at university.
Subject: English Literature Predicted A/ Achieved A*
Subject: Psychology Predicted A/ Achieved A*
Subject: Music Predicted B/ Achieved C

University Queen's University Belfast- Subject- English Grades- ABB

I'm so happy that I got into Queen's and can't believe my A*s in English Lit (CCEA) and Psychology (Edexcel) :smile: A little bit disappointed with my C grade in Music (CCEA), but the examiners have always been really harsh when marking our composition, so wasn't very surprised tbh... Congrats to everyone else! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azula

Could I get the same tips too? I took pretty much the same exams as Kira and I am hoping to retake next year. Any help would be very much appreciated. :smile:
Reply 235
does anyone know when is the deadline for priority remark (edexcel)???
Results

English Literature: B / C
History: B / C
Subject: D / C

Firm Offer if Received

Chichester University - English Literature and History - CCD

Winchester University - English Literature and - CCC

Comments/Reactions

Very happy that I got into my firm. :smile: However. I'm pretty disappointed I didn't get a B in English Lit or History
Original post by Kira Yagami
Congrats! Would you mind telling how me how you revised for maths specifically, e.g. what book did you use? What videos? Did you do all past papers and any tips please, I would appreciate it a lot. :smile:

So there aren't any real accompanying text books for the course, so my teacher would print out relevant areas from A-level maths books and statistics text books. There is a website called Integral Maths that we used to get the official spec. and the few specimen papers that there are. I found the website Mathsisfun to be quite helpful. Basically when I did it, there were quite a limited amount of resources; there wasn't even a specification until about my second year. Good luck if you are planning to take it.
Reply 238
Hey guys, I have a quick question. If you sat an AS this year but continue with the full new spec linear A Level, does your AS get cancelled? do you still have to put in on UCAS?Is there even such method such as cancelling your exam grade for a subject?Please answer, thanks!
Achieved in 2015 (A2):

Maths: A
Biology: B
Chemistry: B

Resat some modules during my gap year (2016)

Maths: Predicted A*/ Achieved A*
Biology: Predicted A/ Achieved A
Chemistry: Predicted A/ Achieved A

Firm Offer:

Pharmacy (AAB) - Cardiff

Insurance:

N/A

Comments/reactions:

Happy that I managed to bring each grade up and that I was only three marks off an A* in chemistry! I also got 100UMS in C4 this year so that was nice!

Going to be starting at Cardiff next month :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest