The Student Room Group

Can I study animation at uni even though I have no prior knowledge or experience?

Title
Original post by Sau5sage
Title

What did you study at sixth form/college? It doesn't sound like the best idea, or easy to make happen, but if you have qualification in relevant subjects you could contact universities and see what they suggest. It's worth getting yourself as much experience as you can though, and learning as much as you can in your free time so you can build up a portfolio or a showreel.
Title

YES! I have no experience at all but started studying animation at lincoln this year! Here is my portfolio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHg8422pgA It had no animation work at all, they just want to see you are willing to learn! Let me know if you have any questions!! :-)
Reply 3
Thank you so much! I didn't expect this question to receive any more answers. My a-levels were in photography, media studies, and film studies. I'm also doing an HNC in creative media production. Do you think this will be right for me? Also do you think somebody has to be an expert drawer to do the course?

EDIT: sorry I just realised you mentioned about the drawing in the video.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much! I didn't expect this question to receive any more answers. My a-levels were in photography, media studies, and film studies. I'm also doing an HNC in creative media production. Do you think this will be right for me? Also do you think somebody has to be an expert drawer to do the course?

HEY sau5age,

A friend of mind didn't take any of those subjects and they manage to get into an Animation course, here at Ravensbourne. They had to start from scratch and build a showreel/portfolio from no creative base subjects. And as sophieann14 said, if you are willing to learn and be dedicated to animation, go for it!

The subjects you have chosen for your a levels seems like they are good for animation so hopefully you'll be able to have something great to show interviewers. If you are concern about your drawing skills, just practice but I don't think you have to be that much of an expert drawer to be an animator. Plus it depends on what sort of animator you want to be.

Hope this helps and if you're interested in studying in London, come check out Ravensbourne. We have an animation course that you might be interested in. Click Here for home page.

Kay

All of those subjects are great, heavily media based which is a perfect choice! Youll be absoloutley fine! Happy to have helped, and yes you definately dont need to be a brilliant drawer, thats what you are going to learn! Any more questions just post on the video or if not Ill reply when i see this 😊😊!

Quick Reply

Latest