The Student Room Group

Resitting AS or taking up a BTEC?

Hi everyone,

I sadly got a DDU at AS (mainly due to poor work ethic) in Chemistry, Maths, Physics. Physics I'm NOT continuing with and I've been offered to either resit or continue onto A2 with chemistry, maths and a single btec or retake. If I put the effort into Maths I know I can achieve a B at A2. Chemistry is Linear and with the right work ethic I know I can do it. I'm doing an EPQ and want to study Chemistry at Uni. Should I try again? Will a BTEC ruin my chance of getting into a good Uni?
Original post by Zy786
Hi everyone,

I sadly got a DDU at AS (mainly due to poor work ethic) in Chemistry, Maths, Physics. Physics I'm NOT continuing with and I've been offered to either resit or continue onto A2 with chemistry, maths and a single btec or retake. If I put the effort into Maths I know I can achieve a B at A2. Chemistry is Linear and with the right work ethic I know I can do it. I'm doing an EPQ and want to study Chemistry at Uni. Should I try again? Will a BTEC ruin my chance of getting into a good Uni?

I'm in the same situation with Biology as I want to study it at uni and I've dropped Physics which I got U in too. And I'm going to take EPQ and continue onto A2. Work hard next year and take mocks for Chemistry in September like I'm doing so your predicted grades get improved.
Reply 2
Original post by Zy786
Hi everyone,

Depends what uni's you are aspiring to apply to. BTEC wouldn't ruin your chances, it give you UCAS points.

This is what is going to get you into university at the end of the day.
If it makes a difference, I had to do the same thing too - only I have to do double business
Reply 3
Original post by imanonymous123
I'm in the same situation with Biology as I want to study it at uni and I've dropped Physics which I got U in too. And I'm going to take EPQ and continue onto A2. Work hard next year and take mocks for Chemistry in September like I'm doing so your predicted grades get improved.

Okay. I'm hoping I smash A2. What unis are you looking at?
Original post by Zy786
Okay. I'm hoping I smash A2. What unis are you looking at?

I'm looking into Kingston, Westminster, Middlesex to do Biological sciences. You?
Reply 5
I'm looking into Kingston, Westminster, Middlesex to do Biological sciences. You?

Brunel and Reading to do Chemistry
Original post by Zy786
Brunel and Reading to do Chemistry

Brunel requires a BBB for Biochemistry which I was interested in but I'm only expecting to get predicted BCC at the most.
Reply 7
Taking a combination of BTEC and A-levels are usually accepted by most universities (I got 5 offers when I applied with a combination of BTEC, A2 AND and EPQ). Turn this into a positive. I discussed the advantages of learning different skills through the BTEC (coursework) vs A-levels (exam based) and how this combination had set me up for both skills required at university.

However, this does sound like an awful lot to cram into an A2 year where realistically if you haven't done as well as you want to at AS, you should be focusing entirely on your retakes/A2 exams, because they truly do require your full attention to achieve high grades. It certainly is ambitious and may be very stressful and challenging; but it is doable.

If it's any reassurance achieved an A in my EPQ, D*D* in a 90 credit BTEC (equivalent to 1.5 A2's) and CC (Got EU in my AS!) in Chemistry and Biology in this year with AS retakes and have just accepted an unconditional offer from my university for Anatomy and Pharmacology. If you really work hard, you should be fine. Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Brunel requires a BBB for Biochemistry which I was interested in but I'm only expecting to get predicted BCC at the most.

I'd apply anyway. If your personal statement shows your enthusiasm and passion for the course they might offer you a conditional.
Reply 9
Original post by STEMfit
Taking a combination of BTEC and A-levels are usually accepted by most universities (I got 5 offers when I applied with a combination of BTEC, A2 AND and EPQ). Turn this into a positive. I discussed the advantages of learning different skills through the BTEC (coursework) vs A-levels (exam based) and how this combination had set me up for both skills required at university.

However, this does sound like an awful lot to cram into an A2 year where realistically if you haven't done as well as you want to at AS, you should be focusing entirely on your retakes/A2 exams, because they truly do require your full attention to achieve high grades. It certainly is ambitious and may be very stressful and challenging; but it is doable.

If it's any reassurance achieved an A in my EPQ, D*D* in a 90 credit BTEC (equivalent to 1.5 A2's) and CC (Got EU in my AS!) in Chemistry and Biology in this year with AS retakes and have just accepted an unconditional offer from my university for Anatomy and Pharmacology. If you really work hard, you should be fine. Good luck :smile:

That sounds like a lot of work. But wow congratulations! That actually has given me hope
Original post by Zy786
I'd apply anyway. If your personal statement shows your enthusiasm and passion for the course they might offer you a conditional.

I'll consider it but I'm keeping it safe with most of my options with BCC entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest