The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Anyone from St Andrews please help me out? Need to decide tonight!!

I need to decide where to go to uni tonight, or it will be too late to change if I don't doit tomorrow. I have applied for philosophy at bristol and st andrews and can't find any clear information about how the degree in Scotland works.
Basically - I really like St A - but don't see the point in doing an extra year for an equivalent degree as the BA at Bristol.
However, they call it a 'Master of Arts' - yet I have read that this is actually the same as an English BA and I would still have to apply for a masters after..

Is there not anyway that you can get an actual masters in the 4 year degree at St A? Is there a way I could do it in 3, if not? (I realise that you can for certain subject, but i didn't see philosophy on the list).

Anyone doing philosophy at St A - or just at St A, who can clear this up? :biggrin:
Reply 1
2nd year entry is only offered by subjects in the school of sciences.

In Scotland, an MA (undergrad) in Philosophy would still take you 4 years, and is generally considered equal to a BA, with an MLitt (postgrad masters) requiring another year of study: for a total of 5 years in the Scottish system to gain a PG Masters degree vs 4 years in the English system.

In St Andrews your first two years would also require you to study two other subjects alongside Philosophy so this is another factor to bear in mind when deciding; as, if you are 100% sure it is just philosophy you want to complete your degree in, you may find 2/3rds of your timetable taken up with random classes you don't see the point in.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by JM_1998
2nd year entry is only offered by subjects in the school of sciences.

In Scotland, an MA (undergrad) in Philosophy would still take you 4 years, and is generally considered equal to a BA, with an MLitt (postgrad masters) requiring another year of study: for a total of 5 years in the Scottish system to gain a PG Masters degree vs 4 years in the English system.

In St Andrews your first two years would also require you to study two other subjects alongside Philosophy so this is another factor to bear in mind when deciding; as, if you are 100% sure it is just philosophy you want to complete your degree in, you may find 2/3rds of your timetable taken up with random classes you don't see the point in.

Ahh thanks - That really sucks, I loved St Andrews when I went there and it's fantastic for philosophy.. but another year of £9,000 for the same degree when bristol also has a great philo department is just unrealistic I think... :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by dock-leaf
Ahh thanks - That really sucks, I loved St Andrews when I went there and it's fantastic for philosophy.. but another year of £9,000 for the same degree when bristol also has a great philo department is just unrealistic I think... :frown:

Yeah if I was an English student I'd be put right off Scottish Unis because of the extra year of fees - if money and time weren't an issue then I'd recommend simply choosing where you liked best; but if you don't want to add a superfluous year and an extra nine thousand quid of fees - alongside living costs - I'd say an English Uni would suit you better haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending