The Student Room Group

Is Romance Dead? What are romantic things you appreciate and do?

With modern technology such as dating apps, finding relationships seems to be much easier - but do they tend to last as long and be as romantic? :heart:

Do couples still have date nights? Do people still put in enough effort into relationships? What are the romantic things you do/would like to do and receive back? :love:

Scroll to see replies

Finding relationships isn't easy. I never been in one and don't think I will ever be. At this point I'm cutting my losses. I just want a guy to at least take me out on a date. Even if I have to pay for the both of us. I just want to feel appreciated and worthy of attention for once in my life. I hate how I've never been asked out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like it is compared to the olden times :frown: tinder and Facebook messaging have replaced letters and the guy bravely phoning your landline. It's all texting what you up to rather than the guy turning up outside your house and hanging out with you. Friends with benefits and casual dating have replaced courting. So many guys are so reluctant nowadays as well to declare their feelings for a girl! :frown:
We go out and have tea and cake like an old married couple. It's the simple things that make me happiest in our relationship.we do have the occasional date night but since we re living together and paying for our wedding, we d rather get some nice food in and watch tv but we ve never wanted to spend much money on doing things anyway, it's time that matters not how much you spend.
(edited 7 years ago)
I take my hand out to nandos every weekend <3
Reply 5
Original post by BurstingBubbles
With modern technology such as dating apps, finding relationships seems to be much easier - but do they tend to last as long and be as romantic? :heart:

Do couples still have date nights? Do people still put in enough effort into relationships? What are the romantic things you do/would like to do and receive back? :love:

Nice joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's exactly the same as 50 years ago. Guys want sex and they will want it even in 2116.
Reply 7
Romance is not dead!! Well at least I hope it's not because I'm a complete soppy romantic at heart :') I'm still longing from a completely romantic proposal something disney style....well I can hope :wink:
I am far from believing that romance has died.

Yes, technology has made hook-ups and dating a lot easier and a lot less effort, however it also brings people closer and enables us to consolidate relationships from afar.

When I was away from my boyfriend for a long period of time, social media enabled us to stay in touch - FaceTime each other and watch a film together, send each other a song if we were missing the other person, send a goodnight message when you're thinking of them. It's things like that that I love about relationships and that modern advancements have enabled us to do.

I am also a fan of the more 'old-fashioned' forms of romance like writing him a nice letter, going on a walk or going out for dinner.

I'm a romantic and I hate to think romance is dead. Romance has changed, but it hasn't died a sudden death.
Reply 9
Me and my partner still have date days or nights once a fortnight. We do things together all the time but do something special like a proper day out at least once a fortnight or once a week of we can afford it. I wouldn't say we do it to keep the relationship alive but instead just to have fun and in essence, that keeps us going.

For me, I find the little things most romantic. I'm not the kind of person who needs a grand proposal or a bed full of rose petals to feel loved, him running me a bath out the blue, cooking me my favourite meal or offering to watch a horror movie with me when he hates them is romantic to me :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not everyone is blessed with amazing looks, I know that much. But mentality and personality is something that can be improved - at the very least, if you do nothing, you're screwed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
Not everyone is blessed with amazing looks, I know that much. But mentality and personality is something that can be improved - at the very least, if you do nothing, you're screwed.

I know - apparently my problem is being "too mature"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cooked food for my girlfriend on our anniversary, candle lit dinner and all. Just because I'm a sop sometimes:3
Original post by Andy98
I know - apparently my problem is being "too mature"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps, and I am not attacking or critcising or trying to make you feel bad, rather offering constructive criticism - they say that but just mean too boring or not as interesting or can't converse that well.
Even though I'm a hopeless romantic I've never actually experienced anything romantic.

Call me old fashioned but I don't like how things are now for example I much rather a guy ask me out in person than by text. I find things like going out for a walk or writing cute notes really sweet.
We're both quite skint, so date nights are hard and soon we'll only see each other once a month at best so it's the little things really. Saying good morning/good night every night, making time to talk to each other, sometimes playing games together, random compliments. The small, often forgotten things.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

Myself and my partner live in different parts of the country (shes about 70 miles away) shes doing her masters and i work two jobs. As such once school starts seeing each other could become problematic.

So we have decided that at least one day/night a month we always have a date night, whether thats a meal, cinema, bowling whatever. Its important to make time for each other
Reply 17
Original post by SeanFM
Perhaps, and I am not attacking or critcising or trying to make you feel bad, rather offering constructive criticism - they say that but just mean too boring or not as interesting or can't converse that well.

Well, you're three for three there:tongue:
Original post by Andy98
Well, you're three for three there:tongue:

I am all 3 of those things as well - trust me. You have to be aware of it and consciously try to change, even if it doesnt come naturally.
Romance died after Jane Austen

Quick Reply

Latest