The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Canadian student incoming!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IrrationalRoot
How is the chess society? Is it possible to get lessons? Are there many tournaments/teams you can join to compete?

It's good. Quite strong (two masters). There are beginner sessions (though I have been told they go to intermediate as well. Haven't attended any). Yeah you can join a team. I didn't last year never got round to it and joined late but will try next year. The university teams are very successful.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Alex621
Hey! I'm not a current student at Warwick but i'll be joining in October to study Maths and Physics :smile: I got rejected by Cambridge too, and also by Imperial, and I got an offer from Durham but turned it down for Warwick :biggrin:

I've heard that if you put Rootes as your first choice then you're very likely to get it, and apparently Tocil and Westwood are quite undersubscribed so it seems likely that you'd get one of those if not Rootes :u:

Ahh that's great to hear! Hopefully I'll be alright! So, who was your insurance?
Original post by AsphodelMist
Travel wise get a 16-25 rail card, it saves you 30% on pretty much all train fares. The cost of buying the card was covered in the saving I got on 1 ticket to london, and if you buy the card for more than 1 year it costs even less.

For other discounts sign up to UniDays, its free and you get 10-15% off a lot of well known brands. You'll have to wait until you have your university email though as thats how they verify your account.

Thank you! I'll try and get that as soon as possible, back in the UK in September :smile:
Original post by BlueSam3
Pretty good. Get busy around exam time, but otherwise fine. The physics department has two different undergraduate workrooms, and 90% of people never find the second one, so if you find that, you'll never be short of a place to study.

Ah, when you say hockey, do you mean field or ice? People wont automatically assume ice in the UK.

Thanks for all your advice!!! It's great to hear :smile: And yes, I mean field hockey but would like to try out ice hockey!
This is so similar to the post I made last year!

Well done for getting into Warwick! With great grades too!

Most of the questions are pretty much answered but one thing I can put my 2p in, is that the Maths and Physics (I'm pretty sure) have a shared maths exam and I think you're allowed to do a few maths modules. :smile:

Good luck and join all the societies you want!!!!
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It's good. Quite strong (two masters). There are beginner sessions (though I have been told they go to intermediate as well. Haven't attended any). Yeah you can join a team. I didn't last year never got round to it and joined late but will try next year. The university teams are very successful.

Nice, I'd love to play OTB again for the first time in what 6 years XD. Managing to improve a lot online but it's way more fun to play OTB and in tournaments.
Reply 26
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Nice, I'd love to play OTB again for the first time in what 6 years XD. Managing to improve a lot online but it's way more fun to play OTB and in tournaments.

Yeah I think I play a lot better in long time controls over the board. I play loads of blitz chess online but tbh I'm pretty crap for how much I've played and I'm a real slow thinker. Never been in a tournament apart from a terribly organised school knockout one; I won a few games and then it just stopped halfway through lol.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yeah I think I play a lot better in long time controls over the board. I play loads of blitz chess online but tbh I'm pretty crap for how much I've played and I'm a real slow thinker. Never been in a tournament apart from a terribly organised school knockout one; I won a few games and then it just stopped halfway through lol.

Haha, the only times I've had the opportunities to compete was when I was a stark beginner, so wasn't really able to fully appreciate my opportunities.

I'm so bad at blitz but so much better at long time controls that I literally never play blitz. Always 30|0 or more.
I'm a slow thinker too lol.
Where is the cheapest place to eat? Kinda gutted that the accommodations are all self catered, I can't cook at all :/. Also, I have read in another post that everything closes early in the nearest of cities, so not like London. Is this the case?

I really don't want to waste time learning how to cook! :/
Btw guys, I can't find the Facebook Physics freshers page- could someone link it to me pleaseeeee!!!
Original post by LukasAlgebra
but would like to try out ice hockey!

The ice hockey society welcomes beginners. They teach you how to skate and let you loose on the ice with a stick and puck :tongue:

When I was at Warwick there was also a roller hockey society: we played in the Westwood gym (apparently we'd wreck the floor is the main gym) but it was very close knit and I don't know if they still play. That's a lot of fun too and even less formal than the ice hockey.
Original post by Sabertooth
The ice hockey society welcomes beginners. They teach you how to skate and let you loose on the ice with a stick and puck :tongue:

When I was at Warwick there was also a roller hockey society: we played in the Westwood gym (apparently we'd wreck the floor is the main gym) but it was very close knit and I don't know if they still play. That's a lot of fun too and even less formal than the ice hockey.

Sounds sickkk ehhhh!!! Is ice hockey a big thing in the UK or is it an upcoming popular sport?
Sounds sickkk ehhhh!!! Is ice hockey a big thing in the UK or is it an upcoming popular sport?

It's not a big thing but there is a national league and Coventry has a pretty good team so you can go watch it if you're interested. I'd say it's gaining popularity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
It's not a big thing but there is a national league and Coventry has a pretty good team so you can go watch it if you're interested. I'd say it's gaining popularity.

I'll definitely check it out!!!

Also, since we're in the conversation of sport- do you know if the Warwick Gym is any good? I have just checked to see that there is another gym near the campus which apparently- acc. to the reviews, is really good? The gold membership seems a bit pricey so is it worth it?
Ahh that's great to hear! Hopefully I'll be alright! So, who was your insurance?

I didn't have one because my offer was unconditional but I also got an offer from Bath which I turned down.

Have you joined the general Freshers group on facebook? I don't think there's a Physics specific one and in the freshers group chat there's only a couple of us doing Physics so we'll probably just have to wait until we get there to meet other people on the course :tongue:
Original post by Alex621
I didn't have one because my offer was unconditional but I also got an offer from Bath which I turned down.

Have you joined the general Freshers group on facebook? I don't think there's a Physics specific one and in the freshers group chat there's only a couple of us doing Physics so we'll probably just have to wait until we get there to meet other people on the course :tongue:

Yeah im on Physics too, which ones the legit ww freshers?
I'll definitely check it out!!!

Also, since we're in the conversation of sport- do you know if the Warwick Gym is any good? I have just checked to see that there is another gym near the campus which apparently- acc. to the reviews, is really good? The gold membership seems a bit pricey so is it worth it?

I only went to the gym a couple of times when I was there (quite a few years ago now) and didn't like it. It was small and hot with few machines. I think there's a dedicated weight room that you have to pay more for but I've never been.

I don't have any experience with the private gym near the campus - I know it's at Cannon Park which is a tiny mall a short walk away but that's it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :colondollar:

I noticed you asked about the library. I really liked studying there late at night when I lived on campus. There were less distractions than in my room (bloody xbox!) so I got a lot of work done. It has comfy chairs, is a nice temperature, and has single person work tables with power outlets for your laptop. However, it does get VERY busy in exam season so I generally avoided it then.
Will you be going to Welcome to Warwick orientation? I also received an email about it
Reply 38
Original post by bibimbab
Will you be going to Welcome to Warwick orientation? I also received an email about it

I will x
Original post by she101
I will x

I think so too!! It doesn't seem too expensive, I guess. :smile:

Quick Reply