The Student Room Group

Scottish Vet Med Applicants???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Labrador99
Hello. This year I think I'm doing AH biology, chemistry, maths and physics. What subjects did you do in S6? And what did you do your assignments on? No textbooks yet :frown:, nothing from Hodder about a How to Pass, but BrightRed are saying 28th October on their website for publishing their study guide, so hopefully soon! :smile:

Wow! I could never have done 4 AHs haha. I did AH bio, chem and maths. My bio assignment was investigating the maturity of woodlice on turn alternation behaviour (leaned behaviour stuff etc.) and for chem I looked for a correlation between calcium carbonate content in different breeds of hens

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just came across this thread and thought I'd say hello. I'm going into S6 next week and want to study vet med when I leave school. I don't know anyone from my area who wants to be a vet, so I think this thread will be very helpful for questions and sharing suggestions, so thank you for making it! Just wondering- eilidhhhh have you been to many open days?? Thanks. PS- Congratulations Treen98 on your offer and eilidhhhh on your results:smile:

I went to Glasgow and Edinburgh in June :smile: what about you? Have you been to any? Thanks very much! :h: Are you happy with your results?
Hello. Sorry for not replying to you both sooner, but for some reason my notifications weren't working properly.
Original post by Treen98
Wow! I could never have done 4 AHs haha. I did AH bio, chem and maths. My bio assignment was investigating the maturity of woodlice on turn alternation behaviour (leaned behaviour stuff etc.) and for chem I looked for a correlation between calcium carbonate content in different breeds of hens

I couldn't decide between maths and physics, so I'm going to try doing both and see how I get on, but most people are telling me I'm crazy! Your assignments sound interesting- were your teachers ok with you doing something vet related and a bit different?- I'm just asking as I think my teachers usually have a few that get used every year and pupils pick between those ones.

Original post by eilidhhhh
I went to Glasgow and Edinburgh in June :smile: what about you? Have you been to any? Thanks very much! :h: Are you happy with your results?

I was at Glasgow in June too! I went to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Liverpool last September/October and also Glasgow the October before that. I'm happy with my results (6As). What subjects are you doing this year? Do you do the REACH programme?
Hello. Sorry for not replying to you both sooner, but for some reason my notifications weren't working properly.

I couldn't decide between maths and physics, so I'm going to try doing both and see how I get on, but most people are telling me I'm crazy! Your assignments sound interesting- were your teachers ok with you doing something vet related and a bit different?- I'm just asking as I think my teachers usually have a few that get used every year and pupils pick between those ones.

I was at Glasgow in June too! I went to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Liverpool last September/October and also Glasgow the October before that. I'm happy with my results (6As). What subjects are you doing this year? Do you do the REACH programme?

For assignments, my teachers didn't really have a hand in them; we really did them totally independently with little or no input. So once you get started basically do whatever you like :P
I know your Reach comment isn't directed at me but I did it at Glasgow and it's so useful! Don't lose touch with them because they'll check your PS and do a little interview prep too. What vet students did you see at your campus week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
For assignments, my teachers didn't really have a hand in them; we really did them totally independently with little or no input. So once you get started basically do whatever you like :PI know your Reach comment isn't directed at me but I did it at Glasgow and it's so useful! Don't lose touch with them because they'll check your PS and do a little interview prep too. What vet students did you see at your campus week?Posted from TSR Mobile
That's good to know about the assignments. I found the campus week really useful too, especially the personal statement and interview workshops. Sorry but I can't remember the names of the students- I am really terrible with names!
That's good to know about the assignments. I found the campus week really useful too, especially the personal statement and interview workshops. Sorry but I can't remember the names of the students- I am really terrible with names!

No worries- you'll actually get a visit from Reach to see you PS and then you'll email them a draft. And once you apply, if you have an interview invite, you'll be invited for an interview prep session at the uni with the other vet applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
No worries- you'll actually get a visit from Reach to see you PS and then you'll email them a draft. And once you apply, if you have an interview invite, you'll be invited for an interview prep session at the uni with the other vet applicants Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the info :smile:
Hi guys, thought I'd say hello, I'm applying for vet med this year! I'm in the reach programme too! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachelmcl13
Hi guys, thought I'd say hello, I'm applying for vet med this year! I'm in the reach programme too! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, love hearing people are in the Reach programme! May even see some of you when I start Glasgow next month :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
Hey, love hearing people are in the Reach programme! May even see some of you when I start Glasgow next month :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on getting in!! I'm so excited and nervous for the year ahead, the ucas deadline is approaching so fast 😬😬 also could I ask where you did your lab placement as I can't find one anywhere and I'd love to get one before my application goes in! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rachelmcl13
Congrats on getting in!! I'm so excited and nervous for the year ahead, the ucas deadline is approaching so fast 😬😬 also could I ask where you did your lab placement as I can't find one anywhere and I'd love to get one before my application goes in! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did mine at Edinburgh university but I know students who got into SRUC labs- and if you can get in there the experience will actually be more relevant than what mine's was. Focus on your PS though alongside your wex, because although its not everything, one is no use without the other
Original post by Treen98
I did mine at Edinburgh university but I know students who got into SRUC labs- and if you can get in there the experience will actually be more relevant than what mine's was. Focus on your PS though alongside your wex, because although its not everything, one is no use without the other

Perfect thanks, I'll check that out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Just wanted to say hi - I'm a current student at the RVC going into second year and I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh and RVC and received offers for Glasgow and RVC! Was also a second time applicant after not getting in first time round and taking a gap year. I didn't even consider applying to RVC first time round and its where I ended up picking! We could use some more Scottish students down in London :wink:

Happy to answer any questions about the interview processes for any of them.
Original post by devlina1
Just wanted to say hi - I'm a current student at the RVC going into second year and I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh and RVC and received offers for Glasgow and RVC! Was also a second time applicant after not getting in first time round and taking a gap year. I didn't even consider applying to RVC first time round and its where I ended up picking! We could use some more Scottish students down in London :wink:

Happy to answer any questions about the interview processes for any of them.

Hiya, I've got quite a few questions, sorry !! When you applied to RVC did you get your loan from SAAS even though its in England? If it was SAAS did they pay for a little bit of the course or was it just a loan? When you applied the first time how much work experience did you have and how much did you have after your gap year? I'm sooo sorry for the many questions! Thank you lots 😊
Hiya, I've got quite a few questions, sorry !! When you applied to RVC did you get your loan from SAAS even though its in England? If it was SAAS did they pay for a little bit of the course or was it just a loan? When you applied the first time how much work experience did you have and how much did you have after your gap year? I'm sooo sorry for the many questions! Thank you lots 😊

Can't answer your WEX questions but SAAS will give you a loan for the tuition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

Hi that's fine don't worry! SAAS pay your tuition fees and provide you with a maintenance loan - you only pay these back once you graduate and make over a certain amount (its pretty unlikely you'll ever pay it all back considering how long the degree is). One thing to bear in mind is the maximum maintenance loan paid to Scottish students by SAAS is less than Student Finance England pay to English students and all the info about funding on the RVC website assumes you're English which I didn't realise before applying.

I think I had around 8 weeks first time though I can't remember exactly, which consisted of a few days a week at the same practice for over a year, lambing and dairy and after probably about 14 weeks with additional weeks at stables, a cattery, a pet shop and a mixed vets.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Treen98
Can't answer your WEX questions but SAAS will give you a loan for the tuition

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by devlina1
Hi that's fine don't worry! SAAS pay your tuition fees and provide you with a maintenance loan - you only pay these back once you graduate and make over a certain amount (its pretty unlikely you'll ever pay it all back considering how long the degree is). One thing to bear in mind is the maximum maintenance loan paid to Scottish students by SAAS is less than Student Finance England pay to English students and all the info about funding on the RVC website assumes you're English which I didn't realise before applying.

I think I had around 8 weeks first time though I can't remember exactly, which consisted of a few days a week at the same practice for over a year, lambing and dairy and after probably about 14 weeks with additional weeks at stables, a cattery, a pet shop and a mixed vets.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys!!!! Very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending