The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - I met my offer and got into medical school!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You guys all met your offers then? congrats! (I got mine last week-scottish lol)
Reply 21
Original post by emem2011
After convincing myself there was no way I was getting in, yesterday came as a massive shock to log onto UCAS and see my place confirmed! Really goes to show to the younger years that regardless of how badly you think you've done (I was pretty sure I'd got a B in Chemistry) there's always hope!So excited to start now Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thechemistress
Yeah, so pleased!!! Got my grades yesterday so I'm off to uni in a months time to do medicine, which I'm so so pleased about

Original post by Yammy
You guys all met your offers then? congrats! (I got mine last week-scottish lol)

Well done everyone! :smile:
Original post by manlike99
Hey man what revision book did you use for biology? I am doing OCR and I'm really not sure which one is most useful

Unfortunately I did WJEC, but I advice you buying the actually revision guide from the exam board as well because it follows the specification word by word.
Original post by Yammy

Hey thanks, where are you heading?
Reply 24
Original post by theboss1998
Hey thanks, where are you heading?

Edinburgh, you?
Off to Liverpool uni, so happy! My mum has already ordered me a stethoscope think she is more excited than me hahaha :bigsmile:
Well done on getting in everyone :smile:
Original post by Yammy
Edinburgh, you?

Birmingham!
Reply 27
Birmingham!

Nice! Have fun there :smile:
Original post by Yammy
Nice! Have fun there :smile:

Thank you! You too :smile:
Reply 29
Of course no problem!
I have got into The University Of Birmingham (A100), I achieved A* in Maths, and 3A's in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I also have an A* Arabic.

Any Qs about UoB fire away!!
Original post by ChkATM
Any Qs about UoB fire away!!

Thanks a lot !!! I shall be asking you questions soon...
Reply 31
Thanks a lot !!! I shall be asking you questions soon...

PM me any time! :smile: Although your username suggests medschool should be a walk in the park :wink:
Original post by ChkATM
PM me any time! :smile: Although your username suggests medschool should be a walk in the park :wink:

Thanks! And my era is over now :biggrin: Med School is more like a walk in the Amazon rain forest, with a very complicated map! If you can read that map, you will make it out of here, otherwise ... :frown:

But hopefully it will be a good journey, I have faced a lot of obstacles, so I know how it tastes to fall down and get back up!:h:
Reply 33
Anyone off to Exeter??? So excited but can't find anyone else doing it there!! Bring on freshers!!!!!
Congrats! Where are you heading?

I'm going to Cardiff, absolutely ecstatic it still hasn't sunk in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I got into ucl medicine too. I got ABBB i dont know how but im soooo excited!!!
Reply 36
Hey guys, I'm a an as student here (sorry to break the celebrations) but I want to be in the position you guys are in next year. So please If you guys could possibly say everything you did to revise : I.e how you revised? And how long/ how early did you start? And what books you used

By the way well done!! To everyone for getting in hopefully I can do it too
Original post by fxb11
Hey guys, I'm a an as student here (sorry to break the celebrations) but I want to be in the position you guys are in next year. So please If you guys could possibly say everything you did to revise : I.e how you revised? And how long/ how early did you start? And what books you used

Hi!
I don't know about the other people on this thread but I found past papers to be my most useful form of revision. Do each one several times and analyse the mark schemes. Quite often the exam boards are extremely specific and will penalise you if you miss out just one way and you'll pick this up from looking at the mark schemes.
Other than past papers I would say make notes and keep them in a safe place (I wasted a lot of time this year as I started my revision very early then misplaced my notes that I'd made so had to completely redo them). I found colour helped and I also tried to make them really neat so I wanted to look at them. It also meant that I took the information in more as I was taking the time to write tidily rather than scribbling quickly across the page.
I'd also strongly recommend using the different resources available on the Internet. There are good revision websites out there and the YouTube channel videos helped enormously.

My summary of tips would be to start early, pace yourself so you're not cramming all your notes a couple of months before the exam and make sure you ask for help if you don't get something.

I got a B at AS Chemistry (I was actually dead on the B border) and I worked so hard to bring it up this year. I ended up finishing this year with an A, only being a couple of marks off the A* which I never expected. All the hard work is definitely worth it to log onto UCAS and see the congratulations message, and it honestly goes to show that if you work hard you can achieve what you want :smile:

Good luck for next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Thanks! And my era is over now :biggrin: Med School is more like a walk in the Amazon rain forest, with a very complicated map! If you can read that map, you will make it out of here, otherwise ... :frown:

But hopefully it will be a good journey, I have faced a lot of obstacles, so I know how it tastes to fall down and get back up!:h:

It's a great journey. Tough don't get me wrong, it's unlike anything you've done before. Bham Pre-clin is hard work but once you reach clinical years it's just a dreammmmm

First year isn't so bad :wink: slightly tough, fair bit of anatomy. Year 2 is an absolute rip snorter. Vast amounts of content and the questions are humdingers, BUT I've the best time of my life at uni and medicine is just part of the uni experience. I think you should be pretty damn excited :smile:
Original post by fxb11

Hope AS went well.

As for some tips for revision:
1) Make sure as you are learning things you are spending time each evening going over the information and consolidating it. This can be done in many ways by making more condensed notes on it, by mind mapping the important information, by making flash cards with the important information etc.
2) At the weekends make sure you spend a few hours going over the stuff you learnt from AS level, the new reformed Alevels if you are sitting them will mean your exams are all at the end of A2, so go over AS notes often.
3) the best way to revise Alevels if past papers, make sure you do all the past papers availible, every answer you get wrong note down the correct answer and try to memorise the mark scheme wording for particular common questions.
4) if your subject has a lot of definitions to learn start making flashcards for them and doing them every so often - it really helps trust me!
5) make yourself a good revision timetable from the start of the year, when it comes to january this is when I would reccomend revising a bit more, start going over AS stuff and revising stuff you learnt before christmas. The more you go over things the better so plan your weeks and make sure it is realistic and you can cover it all.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending