The Student Room Group

Netherlands on brink of BANNING sale of PETROL and DIESEL cars.

Europe appears poised to continue its move towards cutting fossil fuel use as the Netherlands joins a host of nations looking to pass innovative green energy laws.

The Dutch government has set a date for parliament to host a roundtable discussion that could see the sale of petrol- and diesel-fuelled cars banned by 2025.

If the measures proposed by the Labour Party in March are finally passed, it would join Norway and Denmark in making a concerted move to develop its electric car industry.

It comes after Germany saw all of its power supplied by renewable energies such as solar and wind power on one day in May as the economic powerhouse continues to phase out nuclear energy and fossil fuels.

Read More:
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/netherlands-petrol-car-ban-law-bill-to-be-passed-reduce-climate-change-emissions-a7197136.html

Netherlands in 10 years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Truth88
Europe appears poised to continue its move towards cutting fossil fuel use as the Netherlands joins a host of nations looking to pass innovative green energy laws.

The Dutch government has set a date for parliament to host a roundtable discussion that could see the sale of petrol- and diesel-fuelled cars banned by 2025.

If the measures proposed by the Labour Party in March are finally passed, it would join Norway and Denmark in making a concerted move to develop its electric car industry.

It comes after Germany saw all of its power supplied by renewable energies such as solar and wind power on one day in May as the economic powerhouse continues to phase out nuclear energy and fossil fuels.

Read More:
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/netherlands-petrol-car-ban-law-bill-to-be-passed-reduce-climate-change-emissions-a7197136.html

Netherlands in 10 years

Why would electric cars be any better? The electricity that they use would be obtained from fossil fuels on powerstations anyway! Renewables are simply still too expensive and not powerful enough to provide 100% for a country reliant on power.
Reply 2
Original post by DanGG
Why would electric cars be any better? The electricity that they use would be obtained from fossil fuels on powerstations anyway! Renewables are simply still too expensive and not powerful enough to provide 100% for a country reliant on power.

Thats what I mean, the dwindling EU energy grids will never handle the load.
Reply 3
Original post by Truth88
Thats what I mean, the dwindling EU energy grids will never handle the load.

I know I am just putting out more reasons in case any eco freak is convinced this is a good move.
Reply 4
What about nuclear cars?
Original post by DanGG

I guess that until you make bold moves nothing will change. Just look how the bands and smoking and plaice bags have changed behaviour. Banning petrol and diesel cars is a game changer. Good on the Netherlands for being radical.
Original post by DanGG

Not if the power stations are nuclear.
Reply 7
Original post by IYGB
What about nuclear cars?

Fallout. :biggrin:
Original post by Truth88

Read More:

Netherlands in 10 years

I thought the plan was just to ban the sale of new petrol/diesel powered cars.
Original post by Mathemagicien
ARE they NOW? That's INTERESTING! WHAT do people THINK?

its a VERY BIG ​Problem
Original post by Mathemagicien
ARE they NOW? That's INTERESTING! WHAT do people THINK?

Here in the UK analysts are forecasting more than 50% of new car sales to be electric by 2025 anyway based on current growth so all the Netherlands would be doing is speeding that process up.

The real question is how the electricity is being produced and at what cost vs fuel in addition to questions surrounding the lost tax revenue. Germany's success is still limited over the year.
Original post by DanGG

In Norway they use 100% renewable energy. In a bit of an irony, they have financed their green economy with fossil fuels... Any how, Norway is a country where they've been running on 100% renewable for a while now. This is also old news

Even IF electricity came from fossil fuels, it's still more efficient and greener than power from petrol/diesel cars. Power plants are simply cleaner and more efficient. Besides, the grid is getting cleaner all the time. We could power the whole of Europe with the Sahara project, however several European investors pulled out. It will now be used for Morocco's energy needs

[video="youtube;Bkh5nnMac7U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkh5nnMac7U[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Internet
In Norway they use 100% renewable energy. In a bit of an irony, they have financed their green economy with fossil fuels... Any how, Norway is a country where they've been running on 100% renewable for a while now. This is also old news

Even IF electricity came from fossil fuels, it's still more efficient and greener than power from petrol/diesel cars. Power plants are simply cleaner and more efficient. Besides, the grid is getting cleaner all the time. We could power the whole of Europe with the Sahara project, however several European investors pulled out. It will now be used for Morocco's energy needs

[video="youtube;Bkh5nnMac7U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkh5nnMac7U[/video]

The European transmission grid (extending to North Africa) is certainly an interesting prospect however the problem here is the cost per kwh. Solar is only just reaching grid parity as far south as Spain, by the time it gets transmitted to the UK it would be hideously expensive,

Once Germany reaches 75% annual production from renewable (currently about 30% for 2015) i do think that we should go renewable en masse in the UK but it's not until then that any grand plan to transmit energy across Europe would become affordable after transmission costs.
Original post by JohnGreek
I hope that electric cars will move outside the small city car/sports car niches to more common models (like fully electric family hatchbacks and sedans such as the e-Golf) by that time.

Or like the Tesla Model 3. The Nissan Leaf has been around for a while however. The Mitsubishi PHEV is good. Their MiEv however isn't so good
Original post by Rakas21
The European transmission grid (extending to North Africa) is certainly an interesting prospect however the problem here is the cost per kwh. Solar is only just reaching grid parity as far south as Spain, by the time it gets transmitted to the UK it would be hideously expensive,

Once Germany reaches 75% annual production from renewable (currently about 30% for 2015) i do think that we should go renewable en masse in the UK but it's not until then that any grand plan to transmit energy across Europe would become affordable after transmission costs.

Fair point. We're making great advancements mainly with battery storage which helps in a climate like ours. In the interim, we will need other sources (Which is likely to be nuclear)
Original post by Truth88

Read More:

Netherlands in 10 years

Sounds unrealistic to me.

I think we should be running coal power stations and charging customers as if we weren't therefore paying for these new greener ways of producing energy in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
*sigh* Liberal climate change lunatics at it again. Ridiculous.
Original post by paul514
Sounds unrealistic to me.

I think we should be running coal power stations and charging customers as if we weren't therefore paying for these new greener ways of producing energy in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your still going to shaft the consumer then there's no point being so convoluted, just do what Germany is doing and pile into renewables.

I too want coal but i'd rather the consumer got the full benefit until the technology to replace it reaches full grid parity.
Not gonna happen, the Dutch government makes too much from taxing the hell out of new car sales. How will they fund all the fixing of the perfect roads??
Original post by KingBradly
Not if the power stations are nuclear.

Even if power stations were 100% coal, they'd still be a heck of a lot cleaner and more efficient than current ICE vehicles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending