The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2017 University of Edinburgh hopefuls

Hello! I don't think there's a thread like this and I haven't seen one, so I thought I'd make one for those thinking of applying for 2017 entry.

GCSE Grades: A*A*AAAABBBB
AS Grades: ABC
Predicted A Level Grades: AAB
A-level Choices: Sociology, English Literature, Geography, starting EPQ
Course: Sociology
Extra Curricular: Youth council, member of Young Labour, Young Leader's Programme (got to work with the Home Office and university professors and learnt about radicalisation, extremism, global conflict and national security), lectures, wider reading (Sociology Review), youth debates, political Q&A, sixth form prefect, NCS, musical theatre, grade 5 piano, grade 5 music theory,
Other Universities Applying To: Bristol, Durham, Leeds, Sussex
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh my god hey! This is such a great thread, I hope people start using this!! I'll add in my AS choices too if you don't mind!

GCSE Grades: 10A*s with maths, English, triple science award, history, French, Russian and Latin
Predicted AS grades: AAAA in mocks
Actual AS grades: AAAA - 88% in English Lang, 92% in History, 94.5% in Class Civ and 99% in English Lit, giving me an overall raw mark average of 93.35%
Predicted A Level grades: 3 A*s!
A Level choices: English Literature, English Language, History, Classical Civilisation (but I'm hopefully dropping this after AS), EPQ
Course: Linguistics!!!! If anyone's ever seen my posts, I'm pretty into the subject...
Extra curricular: Linguistics Olympiad (Silver award), won my school's essay comp, entered a Cambridge essay comp, did some writing for First News in 2014, Cambridge Linguistics masterclass, grade 6 ballet tap and modern, grade 6 speech and drama, won a whole school poetry competition, founded a couple of choirs at my new school, been in a bunch of school plays/musicals, directing a spoken word choir, learning Swedish and French on the side, plus lots of extra reading too!!
Other universities applying to: Cambridge, UCL, York, Newcastle/Manchester

I'd love to go to Edinburgh, did you go to the open day? I loved it at the open day, more than any other uni so far!
(edited 7 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by blue2337
Oh my god hey! This is such a great thread, I hope people start using this!! I'll add in my AS choices too if you don't mind!

GCSE Grades: 10A*s with maths, English, triple science award, history, French, Russian and Latin
Predicted AS grades: AAAA in mocks
Actual AS grades: we'll find out in... 8 days...
Predicted A Level grades: A*A*A probably? we haven't got them yet!
A Level choices: English Literature, English Language, History, Classical Civilisation (but I'm hopefully dropping this after AS), EPQ
Course: Linguistics!!!! If anyone's ever seen my posts, I'm pretty into the subject...
Extra curricular: Linguistics Olympiad (Silver award), won my school's essay comp, entered a Cambridge essay comp, did some writing for First News in 2014, Cambridge Linguistics masterclass, grade 6 ballet tap and modern, grade 6 speech and drama, won a whole school poetry competition, founded a couple of choirs at my new school, been in a bunch of school plays/musicals, directing a spoken word choir, learning Swedish and French on the side, plus lots of extra reading too!!
Other universities applying to: Cambridge, UCL, York, Newcastle/Manchester

I'd love to go to Edinburgh, did you go to the open day? I loved it at the open day, more than any other uni so far!

I'm going in October, I'm so excited!! I loved Cambridge, but I don't think I have a chance of getting in lol. UCL was nice, but their course wasn't for me.
Original post by LanaDelReys
I'm going in October, I'm so excited!! I loved Cambridge, but I don't think I have a chance of getting in lol. UCL was nice, but their course wasn't for me.

This will sound so weird, but how are you getting to Edinburgh? I went by train and I seriously fell in love with the city on the train ride there! The train station actually cinched it for me, it felt so magical! (I'm aware how sad that sounds haha!)

Where else are you looking? I love the thought of Cambridge but equally I don't think I'm good enough to get in either, it's so ridiculously competitive :s-smilie:
Reply 4
This will sound so weird, but how are you getting to Edinburgh? I went by train and I seriously fell in love with the city on the train ride there! The train station actually cinched it for me, it felt so magical! (I'm aware how sad that sounds haha!)

Where else are you looking? I love the thought of Cambridge but equally I don't think I'm good enough to get in either, it's so ridiculously competitive :s-smilie:

I'm flying from Stanstead, but I'll be taking the train at some point if I get in. I'm applying for Cambridge, LSE, Bristol and Sussex, not too sure about LSE though, the graduate prospects are amazing, but I'm not sure if the university is for me.
GCSE Grades: 4 A*'s, 3 A's, 3 B's
Predicted AS grades: Got BBCD in mocks
Actual AS grades: AAAB
Predicted A Level grades: A*A*A
A Level choices: Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Course: Physics with a Year Abroad
Extra curricular: Week-long work experience placement at Durham University (Centre for Advanced Instrumentation), summer school at University of York, summer school at Newcastle University, attended lecture by Helen Sharman (first Briton in space), attended talk by NASA scientist working on JWST, wider reading (pop-sci books as well as more niche books), school trip to a small country in Africa which involved fundraising beforehand
Other universities applying to: St Andrews, Nottingham, Warwick, UCL
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi I'm starting at the uni of Edinburgh in September! I reckon it's the name of the station. I'm mean Edinburgh Waverley definitely has a magical feel to it haha
Original post by Fizzster21
Hi I'm starting at the uni of Edinburgh in September! I reckon it's the name of the station. I'm mean Edinburgh Waverley definitely has a magical feel to it haha

That's exactly it! It's the kind of name you'd expect from say, Harry Potter... and ooh, which subject are you studying?
Original post by DarkEnergy

Extra curricular: Week-long work experience placement at Durham University (Centre for Advanced Instrumentation), summer school at University of York, summer school at Newcastle University, attended lecture by Helen Sharman (first Briton in space), attended talk by NASA scientist working on JWST, wider reading (pop-sci books as well as more niche books), school trip to a small country in Africa which involved fundraising beforehand

Can I just say that you have some insanely good extra curriculars! I bet your personal statement is so crazy good
That's exactly it! It's the kind of name you'd expect from say, Harry Potter... and ooh, which subject are you studying?

English Literature and Philosophy 😊
Can I just say that you have some insanely good extra curriculars! I bet your personal statement is so crazy good

Thank you so much. I'm hoping they make up for the sub-par GCSEs. I go to a state school where opportunities are few and far between, so I've just tried to make the most out of whatever has came to me.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thank you so much. I'm hoping they make up for the sub-par GCSEs. I go to a state school where opportunities are few and far between, so I've just tried to make the most out of whatever has came to me.

Your results were brilliant and you've done so much! Well done you! :yy:
Wow you're all highly intelligent candidates. I've an offer for Law & History (LLB). I'm predicted AAB but only need ABB. My grades are petty compared to all of the above! Good luck with results, hope you see you all this September 👊🏼✌🏼️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*AAAAABBC
AS Grades: AAA
Predicted A Level Grades: (guess) A*A*A + A* EPQ
A-level Choices: English Literature, History, Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) + starting EPQ
Course: MA Politics
Extra Curricular: Labour Party member (Youth Officer in Local CLP + possible committee member in regional Young Labour group - let's see how the election goes + volunteering for Sadiq Khan and <not gonna say whether I'm specifically backing Smith/Corbyn> campaigns), Deputy Head Boy, Student MP, Chair of Debating Society (school - two victories in two competitions against grammar and public schools - not bad for a *****y comp), 2 week work experience placement at Fulham FC (commercial department), wider reading, learning bass
Other Universities Applying To: Durham, Leeds, Birmingham, Hull

I'm that guy with one C in my list of GCSEs - am I ****ed (it's in Maths)?

And wow, all the other hopefuls look great! I'd so want to go to Uni with all of you :smile:.
Original post by Spur
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*AAAAABBC
AS Grades: AAA
Predicted A Level Grades: (guess) A*A*A + A* EPQ
A-level Choices: English Literature, History, Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) + starting EPQ
Course: MA Politics
Extra Curricular: Labour Party member (Youth Officer in Local CLP + possible committee member in regional Young Labour group - let's see how the election goes + volunteering for Sadiq Khan and <not gonna say whether I'm specifically backing Smith/Corbyn> campaigns), Deputy Head Boy, Student MP, Chair of Debating Society (school - two victories in two competitions against grammar and public schools - not bad for a *****y comp), 2 week work experience placement at Fulham FC (commercial department), wider reading, learning bass
Other Universities Applying To: Durham, Leeds, Birmingham, Hull

I'm that guy with one C in my list of GCSEs - am I ****ed (it's in Maths)?

And wow, all the other hopefuls look great! I'd so want to go to Uni with all of you :smile:.

Well done on your AS grades! Don't worry about the C, your GCSES were fantastic
How did everyone's AS Levels go? Mine were unexpected (ABC) , but I had a lot of extenuating circumstances and I feel like I did the best I could have done in the face of adversity. My overall track record for my subjects have been good, so my predicted grades will be higher.
How did everyone's AS Levels go? Mine were unexpected (ABC) , but I had a lot of extenuating circumstances and I feel like I did the best I could have done in the face of adversity. My overall track record for my subjects have been good, so my predicted grades will be higher.
Well done, considering extenuating circumstances those are great results.I got AAAB with the B in the only subject that mattered... Maths. The other 3 are linear so they won't count towards my final A-levels but Maths is modular so it will. It was 3 UMS off an A but I've been advised to not get any of my modules remarked and just try harder next year. Also wish we could see raw marks for the new spec. exams as I'm a bit curious.
Hiya peeps! I'm not quite sure if I belong in here since I'll be starting in 2017, but technically I've already been accepted (taking a gap year, then doing Linguistics and Japanese xD). Regardless, I'm American, so if any Americans are in here and have any questions about stuff (entry reqs, SATs, etc.), feel free to say hi or shoot me a message! :biggrin:
Hello! I don't think there's a thread like this and I haven't seen one, so I thought I'd make one for those thinking of applying for 2017 entry.

GCSE Grades: A*A*AAAABBBB
AS Grades: ABC (extenuating circumstances, hoping to bump up to A*AB)
Predicted A Level Grades: A*AB
A-level Choices: Sociology, English Literature, Geography, starting EPQ
Course: Sociology
Extra Curricular: Youth council, member of Young Labour, Young Leader's Programme (got to work with the Home Office and university professors and learnt about radicalisation, extremism, global conflict and national security), lectures, wider reading (Sociology Review), youth debates, political Q&A, visited the Royal Courts of Justice and Church of Scientology, sixth form prefect, NCS, musical theatre, grade 5 piano, grade 5 music theory,
Other Universities Applying To: Cambridge, Bristol, LSE, Sussex

I had the same AS grades and I bumped them up to the same A2 grades as the ones on your post.

Well done for overcoming the extenuating circumstances hun, and high five for having EC (although I don't really think mine were that severe) I'm sure universities will see you as a fantastic candidate for coping with bad stuff and still coming out with good grades!!! I'm super pleased with my AS - AAAA - which should hopefully give me good enough predictions for Cambridge despite the less than good stuff going on over AS :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending