The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danielwinstanley
We've done the evaluation for activity 1 and 2, and it's already 10 pages long. Thankfully, were doing the evaluation after each unit so it's not as bad

Same, we are doing the evaluation for activity 1 and 2. I have to do a draft over the holidays which I haven't started yet.
Reply 81
Anyone here doing OCR Computing?
Original post by snikerio
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! Are you doing Jane Eyre? That's the one I really struggle with - the two plays (Macbeth and AIC) seem more manageable because they're shorter, but being able to answer a question on any part of Jane Eyre seems incomprehensible :frown:

If you want a tip for maths, I reckon it's just down to past papers (although considering we're the first ones to do this exam that's a bit tricky), and making sure you understand what's in the course - buying a textbook and ticking off the units as you go will most likely make it seem like much less work. We did a few old spec papers in class, and you get used to the type of questions they're asking quite quickly.

Good luck! :smile: :smile:

Your welcome! :biggrin: No I'm not doing Jane Eyre but the rest of my year are. My class studied it in year 9 and our teacher decided to switch to Jekyll & Hyde to 'challenge' us. Jane Eyre is pretty long which is why I'm glad JH, Macbeth and AIC are shorter.

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll start doing past papers now try and get it out of the way for September.

Good luck!:h:
Original post by Hashtosh302
what a coincidence i'm doing exactly the same as you! :smile:

There are no coincidences :colone:
[QUOTE=MrMackyTv;67064438]Same, we are doing the evaluation for activity 1 and 2. I have to do a draft over the holidays which I haven't started yet.

The evaluation is easy as hell, just waffle 😂 but it does take ages
Original post by JTran38
:banana::bl:Welcome to the Official Year 11 Thread (2016-2017):bl: :banana:

As you're aware, we're the first cohort to sit the new GCSE Exams in English Language & Literature and Mathematics in 2017, so we should all help each other out as it will be very bumpy on the road ahead.
Things YOU can do ...
- Introduce yourself
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- How many GCSEs are you taking?
- What subjects are you taking and with what exam board?
- Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
- What's your favourite subject(s)?
- What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)

Changes made to GCSE's for current Year 11's (2016-2017), if you want to see A-Levels please scroll down. All of this information is from the government site.
September 2015:
Students currently will start learning new GCSEs, graded 9 - 1, in:
- English Language
- English Literature
- Mathematics
Summer 2017:
Students will take exams for new GCSEs, graded 9 - 1, in:
- English Literature
- English Language
- Mathematics
November 2017:
Students get the chance to take resit exams for new GCSE's in:
- English Language
- English Literature
- Mathematics

If you want to see changes made to A-Levels for current Year 11's (2016-2017), visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group#year-10

* Apologies for an incomplete OP, I'm working to get the OP fully completed asap, in the mean time enjoy the new thread.*

Hello! I'm Emily and occasionally come on this thread but I will be coming on more in year 11.

For GCSEs I am taking
Maths
English lit
English Lang
Triple science
History
Geography
French
Business studies

So that's 10 GCSEs

Part of me is so calm and unnerved by year 11 but I know that it'll get so much tougher. I am so not ready for the new GCSEs especially maths as I'm already bad at it. I'm also dreading having to memorise quotations

My favourite subject is history

In the future I want to take English lit, history, business studies and government and politics and am hoping for a career in law

Looking forward to this thread it should be good to motivate each other on!
Reply 86
Triple science is pretty common is it not?
Original post by Itsemziexoxo
Hello! I'm Emily and occasionally come on this thread but I will be coming on more in year 11.

For GCSEs I am taking
Maths
English lit
English Lang
Triple science
History
Geography
French
Business studies

!

What exam board are you on for business studies? Haven't found anyone on OCR with me yet!
Reply 88
Original post by Itsemziexoxo

For GCSEs I am taking
Maths
English lit
English Lang
Triple science
History
Geography
French
Business studies

So that's 10 GCSEs

Part of me is so calm and unnerved by year 11 but I know that it'll get so much tougher. I am so not ready for the new GCSEs especially maths as I'm already bad at it. I'm also dreading having to memorise quotations

My favourite subject is history

In the future I want to take English lit, history, business studies and government and politics and am hoping for a career in law

Looking forward to this thread it should be good to motivate each other on!

Hi Emily :smile:
There are many people on this thread that would be more than willing to help you with mathematics, English or any other subject. Feel free to PM any other users (including myself) with any questions you may have.
Yes, this will be the best Year 11 thread with the most motivated students. :biggrin:
Reply 89
Anyone here does OCR Computing?
Reply 90
Maybe in some parts of the country or at certain schools but I personally have not met someone that has taken double award rather than triple. :smile:
Reply 91
Hi,
I was wondering how you revise for maths as I have a rubbish naths teacher so we haven't covered much of the spec, so i was hoping you could give me a few ways to learn and revise maths as I'm really struggling- i really want a high grade!!

Original post by Lemur14
My introduction...
Hi, I'm @Lemur14 :smile:
I'm interested in maths and I like to play games.
I'm taking 14 full GCSEs and 2 half GCSEs iirc (only 11 in 2017 though)

Spoiler

I'm definitely not currently ready for year 11 (haven't done all my homework yet for one!) but if I stop procrastinating then I'm good to go. The new GCSEs for me are more annoying than anything else tbh as it jeopardises my chances of a top grade (should be 8/9 borderline in maths and 7/8 borderline for English) whereas I'm confident I could have got an A* certainly in maths before.
My favourite subjects are maths and chemistry. Partly due to my teacher though...(never liked chemistry before but have always liked maths)
I'm not exactly sure what my dream career is...I loved my work experience in finance though I'd also like to consider working with children (younger children though so not a secondary school teacher!)
My favourite smiley is :qed: or :ymca:
For A levels, I'm definitely taking maths, further maths, chemistry. I don't really want to do physics and my preferred school doesn't teach a programming language I'm comfortable with so I'm not sure about computing. Other than that I'm not sure, hopefully something will shine out to me before I apply (deadline for preferred school is 4th November!)
Original post by nm1276
Hi,
I was wondering how you revise for maths as I have a rubbish naths teacher so we haven't covered much of the spec, so i was hoping you could give me a few ways to learn and revise maths as I'm really struggling- i really want a high grade!!

I know you didn't ask me but my advice is just past papers over and over, as many as you can. Use examsolutions.com for anything you're stuck on and that should suffice

Good luck!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umar39
Hey :smile:
First of all, that's a cool name :biggrin:
Please could you list all your subjects and exam boards so students of the same board+subject can interact etc etc.
Tell us more about your aspirations for the future and what career you would like
If you ever need help feel free to PM any members I'm sure they'll be glad to help. :h:
umar39

Thank you, I would like to do medicine at any university but my dream university is Imperial.The subjects I do for the exam board AQA are Psychology,Science core+ad,RE and English lit+ lan.Then for EDEXCEL I do Maths and Health and Social care. For OCR I do Geography and Computing. But at our school we have to do this IT course called BCS. Thanks again.
Original post by JTran38
Anyone here doing OCR Computing?

Me😢
Hey, I'm Cerian and I'm currently 15. I'm 16 in December.

What are my hobbies?:
I have loads of hobbies but my main ones are reading, using the internet (mainly social media sites), eating, listening to music and horse-riding.

How many GCSEs did I take?:
I study 9 subjects, which obviously includes English Language & Literature, Mathematics, Double Science (Core & Additional) and Welsh Bacc, which is also cumpulsory in Wales. I also study full-course Welsh, Geography, I.C.T and History. Well, I techincally don't study Core Science anymore because I sat those exams in May.

Which exam boards?:
English Language & Literature = WJEC.
Mathematics = WJEC.
Core & Additional Science = AQA.
Welsh = WJEC.
Geography = WJEC.
I.C.T = WJEC.
History = WJEC.

Am I ready for Year 11?:
Nope, but I intend to aim for A's and B's in all my subjects and become a more motivated/hard-working student.

My dream career?:
I aspire to be a forenisc pathologist.
Original post by _gcx
Well, you have ages to decide! :biggrin: Have Ireland reformed their A-levels, or is it still AS/A2? If they haven't yet, you can take 4 then drop 1 after the first year. In the UK, I think we're stuck with 3 subjects, for now. That will help you leave your options open, like going w/ Biology, Chemistry, English and French, so you can go either route. Good luck with whichever path you decide on following!

Good luck! :biggrin:

Yeah well I have until January to decide😁 I can still change my mind after that though. Yep I'm the last year to do AS/A2 thank god! And nearly everyone in my school (top grammar) does 4 so I'll probably keep my options open like you said
Original post by umar39
Hi Omar
How many of the challenges have you completed for Project Euler?
I enjoy solving problems so i'm interested to know more about it. :smile:

Hello ! I've done 27 challenges so far , I'm also quite new to the site but it's very enjoyable ! You should definetly give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by Futurechemist
Hello ! I've done 27 challenges so far , I'm also quite new to the site but it's very enjoyable ! You should definetly give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try to do 1 a week
They're quite hard apparently so I won't push myself so hard at first :biggrin:
Hey I'm ArkhamAsylum_
I'm currently 15 and turning 16 next August. I'm not looking forward to yr 11 at all cos of all the stress...:frown:
Is anyone here doing OCR Gateway b triple science?
Or have done any of the controlled assessments?

Latest