The Student Room Group

Think you're part of an oppressed demographic... try being a young white male

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you should spend less time on the internet? I know people can be like that online, but I am yet to meet anyone that's like that in real life.
Reply 21
Original post by Quantex
As a young white male I despair when I see other young white males playing the repressed victim card. Last time I told one to man up and they went full SJW on me, thus is the mindset of the Internet generation.

I have no idea what SJW means, but I'm happy you haven't had the same experiences as me.

I understand everyone has problems in life, I'm not trying to portray myself or any other group as "victims". It just frustrates me when white males are held up as the group that has it all. Life is **** to everyone.
Reply 22
Original post by drowzee
Maybe you should spend less time on the internet? I know people can be like that online, but I am yet to meet anyone that's like that in real life.

I've met people who are like that in real life and I also from time to time experience it in the media. I like to know what's going on in the world, but I get fed up when I read an article which says I'm not entitled to an opinion, or to give support, purely based on aspects of who I am that I have no control over.
Yeah exactly, you are either part of the trendy "right-on" crowd, or shouted down for having an opinion which differs from the masses
I reached snapping point with that as well. So I voted leave. Stuck it right up them.
No one in real life will actually tell you you are these things you're saying you are OP
No one in real life will actually tell you you are these things you're saying you are OP
Reply 27
Original post by Pinkberry_y

You seriously bought this thread back up to say that? Well all I can respond is yes, yes they will.
Reply 28
Reminds me of the meme Ellen's twitter came up with, her on Usain Bolt's back.

If say Oprah would have done that, nothing would be said, but because Ellen is white...
Original post by Dheorl
You seriously bought this thread back up to say that? Well all I can respond is yes, yes they will.

Well then tell them to stick their irrelevant opinions
Original post by Dheorl
I can literally not have an opinion on anything these days without my race, gender and sexuality being insulted and given as a reason for my "disgusting views".

I think we should have more nuclear energy and it should have less strict safety regulations, but I'm a white man so I must a "capitalist fat cat".

I think that the recent shootings are a horrible tragedy, but I'm straight and white, therefore by speaking out about it I'm a homophobe oppressing the views of the LGBT community. I think that incidents like this should result in stricter gun control, but I'm white, so therefore it's clearly because I think the government should be able to form a dictatorship without citizens being able to fight back.

I think there should be equality between men and women, but if I claim to like the posters for the new x-men movies, it's not because I'm happy to see strong female characters go toe to toe with the big baddies. No, I'm a white male, therefore it's because I enjoy seeing and advocate violence against women.

It's becoming ****ing ridiculous and I can't see what I can do about it apart from stay silent on every issue, because seemingly no matter what stand-point I adopt my gender, sexuality and race will be used to try and paint me as a bad guy.

Now I'm sure this is going to garner a lot of responses claiming "oh, but you're not X therefore you don't understand how hard they have it". Yea, well X isn't me either, so they can **** right off.

In politics, journalism, business and nearly every other major industry, the opinions of White males dominate.

And I'm not saying that you don't have struggles of your own, every demographic does, but what your describing isn't exclusive to you and doesn’t prove that White males are not allowed to have an opinion. I have had people from other demographics (including White males) dismissing or trying to shut down any struggles that I mention. I have had comments like "well, if only your race/gender didn't do XYZ (as though we are all collectively responsible for one another), this wouldn't be happening.
Original post by WBZ144
In politics, journalism, business and nearly every other major industry, the opinions of White males dominate.

And I'm not saying that you don't have struggles of your own, every demographic does, but what your describing isn't exclusive to you and doesn’t prove that White males are not allowed to have an opinion. I have had people from other demographics (including White males) dismissing or trying to shut down any struggles that I mention. I have had comments like "well, if only your race/gender didn't do XYZ (as though we are all collectively responsible for one another), this wouldn't be happening.

Jews and Asians dominate most of the professional jobs now. Surprisingly few English about, I mean just look how many Patels they are on the BBC.
That title is probably one of the worst things I've read on TSR. Undoubtedly you left out "middle class" as well.

You need to seriously experience life in someone else's footsteps, if you think a white, young, middle class male is the most oppressed group out there. How delusional.
Original post by Dheorl
I can literally not have an opinion on anything these days without my race, gender and sexuality being insulted and given as a reason for my "disgusting views".

I think we should have more nuclear energy and it should have less strict safety regulations, but I'm a white man so I must a "capitalist fat cat".

I think that the recent shootings are a horrible tragedy, but I'm straight and white, therefore by speaking out about it I'm a homophobe oppressing the views of the LGBT community. I think that incidents like this should result in stricter gun control, but I'm white, so therefore it's clearly because I think the government should be able to form a dictatorship without citizens being able to fight back.

I think there should be equality between men and women, but if I claim to like the posters for the new x-men movies, it's not because I'm happy to see strong female characters go toe to toe with the big baddies. No, I'm a white male, therefore it's because I enjoy seeing and advocate violence against women.

It's becoming ****ing ridiculous and I can't see what I can do about it apart from stay silent on every issue, because seemingly no matter what stand-point I adopt my gender, sexuality and race will be used to try and paint me as a bad guy.

Now I'm sure this is going to garner a lot of responses claiming "oh, but you're not X therefore you don't understand how hard they have it". Yea, well X isn't me either, so they can **** right off.

Omg love, no one thinks those things. Continue to express your views. People get carried away, ignore them.
I disagree. I'm a female and don't get me wrong, I hate it when I see my male friends have "OMG STRAIGHT WHITE MALE SEXIST PIG MISOGYNIST" hurled at them. People who do this just want to silence men which is completely wrong and I'm sorry that you feel like this. Hopefully things will change and you will be able to have your opinions actually considered in the future and not just ignored.

However, you cannot deny that around the world people who aren't (straight white) men are more oppressed. There is no white genocide. Yes, men are disadvantaged when it comes to things such as divorce and child custody. However, men around the world do not have to worry about rape as much as women do. They are rarely told they can't do things because of their gender. They are not told from a young age that they are sub human and that they should be slaves to men. This happens to so many women around the world from a young age. Obviously in the west it is nowhere near to that extent but I, along many other females, have been told such confidence damaging things from a young age. Luckily, I haven't been affected by men telling me "I don't have the intelligence to do anything other than cook and be a set of holes to be used for sex" but for some women this can be severely damaging.

Due to these reasons I have to disagree with your claim that white young men are oppressed. Is your opinions being silenced by a load of SJWs really as bad as the things I stated? Unless it has been happening from the day you were born I fail to see why the answer should be yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending