The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get an A at A2 with a B at AS?

Hello everyone I was wondering if any of you could give me any advice.

As everyone knows, we have recently received our A-Level results, well I have received my AS results anyway.

I received an A in spanish, B in English Lang & Lit (new specification), B in French and D in Business Studies (but I knew I would get that so not dissappointed about that one).

So I'm quite upset about French as I believed I could achieve an A but anyway. I also got a B in English, I believe I got 57 points. I saw this year's grade boundaries and I saw that an A was 60 marks, so that A just slipped away.

So I was wondering if it was possible to get an A for the overall A-Level as I nearly got A's in both subjects and those grades are quite important for uni. I'm just worried of not achieving the A as French is my favourite subject and I was surprised at English (I finished none of the exams but still got that grade so wow I was quite impressed, I was expecting at least a C) thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

You can get an A* with a B at AS, so yes more than possible :h:
Yes why wouldn't it be? Not boasting, but I got a in my AS English Language. Resat a module and smashed full marks to take it up to an A. Moral of the story: You can always resit.
Yes, you can! I got a B in AS Geology, about 12 marks away from the A grade boundary. I got As in units 1 and 2, but an E in unit 3 (which I improved to a C with a couple of resits, but it didn't boost my overall AS grade to an A). At A2, I managed to scrape an A overall (by about 2 marks), so yes, it can be done :smile:
Reply 4
I upped all of my grades from AS by one grade or more!... A to an A*, C to a B, D to a C and E to a C too!
It's definitely possible!

Original post by A-LJLB
You can get an A* with a B at AS, so yes more than possible :h:

I thought you needed an A at AS and 90% UMS at A2 for an A*...
Well I just went from an E to an A in English Lit so :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by elizahughes
Well I just went from an E to an A in English Lit so :smile:

Wow amazing - well done!! :smile:
In English I got a B overall at AS, with a C in the exam and A in the coursework. I resat the AS exam this year but it barely went up so I still got a C in it. However, I still got an A* overall from doing well in the A2 units. I also went from a B to an A in History (with a resit going from a D to an A). So yes, it is possible even without resitting!
Reply 9
Original post by Muttski
I thought you needed an A at AS and 90% UMS at A2 for an A*...

No, you need an A overall (i.e. 80% average) and an average of at least 90% at A2.
Original post by xChocoAlex24
So I'm quite upset about French as I believed I could achieve an A but anyway. I also got a B in English, I believe I got 57 points. I saw this year's grade boundaries and I saw that an A was 60 marks, so that A just slipped away.

So I was wondering if it was possible to get an A for the overall A-Level as I nearly got A's in both subjects and those grades are quite important for uni.

For English your mark you achieve next year is not at all dependent on your mark this year so there is nothing to stop you doing much better - or much worse.

For French you need 320/400 overall for an A, or 320 AND 180/200 at A2 for an A*. so you can still get an A or an A* overall, though you would increase your chances of getting an A* though not an A*) if you re-sat an AS unit next summer.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Yes why wouldn't it be? Not boasting, but I got a in my AS English Language. Resat a module and smashed full marks to take it up to an A. Moral of the story: You can always resit.

I know I can resit but what's the point, I mean only for 3 maks?

Do you want the grade or not? Ask yourself.
Eaasy I went from D to A in A2 maths so B to A is definitely achievable
Original post by Compost
For English your mark you achieve next year is not at all dependent on your mark this year so there is nothing to stop you doing much better - or much worse.

For French you need 320/400 overall for an A, or 320 AND 180/200 at A2 for an A*. so you can still get an A or an A* overall, though you would increase your chances of getting an A* though not an A*) if you re-sat an AS unit next summer.

The thing is I can't resit the French as the courses are changing next year. Let me explain, this year was the last year the 2008 specification would be applied, so I don't think I can re-sit it next year as it's going to be a new course :frown:

There would be absolutely no point re-sitting AS English next year if you are taking A level English as the A level cancels out the AS.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Do you want the grade or not? Ask yourself.

I do want the grade but I mean, I nearly got the A, so I think that if I work hard then perhaps I'll get it
I do want the grade but I mean, I nearly got the A, so I think that if I work hard then perhaps I'll get it

Oh yeah ofc you're going from AS to A2 (right?) I'm thinking you've got your overall grade and are wanting to bump the three marks up in order to meet a uni requirement (Idk why lol)
Original post by razzo161
Eaasy I went from D to A in A2 maths so B to A is definitely achievable

Wow really? That's amazing! Thank you! My year hasn't done quite well in their maths lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone I was wondering if any of you could give me any advice.

As everyone knows, we have recently received our A-Level results, well I have received my AS results anyway.

I received an A in spanish, B in English Lang & Lit (new specification), B in French and D in Business Studies (but I knew I would get that so not dissappointed about that one).

So I was wondering if it was possible to get an A for the overall A-Level as I nearly got A's in both subjects and those grades are quite important for uni. I'm just worried of not achieving the A as French is my favourite subject and I was surprised at English (I finished none of the exams but still got that grade so wow I was quite impressed, I was expecting at least a C) thanks for your help!

Yeah this is possible because it happens with me!
I got a B at AS Psychology (6 marks away from an A) and then this year I got an overall A grade for psychology.

As long as you just keep working hard and making sure you do revision and do your best it is completely within your reach to get an A overall! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest