The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Why is a prestigious UNI like Bristol so low in rankings?

2017 Complete ranking 24th

2017 Guardian 38th

2017 Sunday times 20th

Scroll to see replies

Same could be said for King's College London, both suffer in national rankings but make up for it in international.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Rankings are arbitrary a lot of the time. They can offer basic guidance but they don't mean a great deal and aren't gospel
Consider these rankings with a pinch of salt.
When you see lower ranked universities cross universities like Imperial or Oxbridge, it should raise a doubt for sure. Either that university is actually very good or something is screwed up.
Original post by Vividly clear
2017 Complete ranking 24th

2017 Guardian 38th

2017 Sunday times 20th

I suggest that you don't look deep into national rankings. Some are very subjective and others appear biased.

Other than Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Imperial, LSE and UCL, those Universities move up and down the rankings based on who is doing the ranking.

Just look at the quality of your course and the overall decency of the University, that is if you are not studying in the Universities mentioned above.
Original post by Wired_1800
I suggest that you don't look deep into national rankings. Some are very subjective and others appear biased.

Other than Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Imperial, LSE and UCL, those Universities move up and down the rankings based on who is doing the ranking.

Just look at the quality of your course and the overall decency of the University, that is if you are not studying in the Universities mentioned above.

What about KCL and Nottingham?
Because 'prestige' is arbitrary and subjective. Different rankings are calculated in different ways.
Rankings don't really matter. Uni reputation, course reputation/ranking, city, place to offer ratio they all play a part.

Those Universities tend to move up and down the ranking tables like the rest.

Kings College and Nottingham have good reputations, but, to me, they don't have that solid reputation of the top tier universities that Oxbridge, Manchester, UCL, LSE and Imperial have. You cannot go wrong with them, but they are definitely not at the top of the pack.

There was another thread that had UK Universities in Tiers with Oxbridge as a Tier 1 University, while I think UCL, Manchester, LSE and Imperial were labelled as Tier 2. Then the list goes down. I think KCL and Nottingham were Tier 3 or something like that.

Sometimes, it baffles me to see a random University in the top 10 overall best in the UK but not even in the top 300 of the World's Best Universities.
(edited 7 years ago)

*insert most top unis here*
Reply 10

Kings College and Nottingham have good reputations, but, to me, they don't have that solid reputation of the top tier universities like Oxbridge, Manchester, UCL, LSE and Imperial have. You cannot go wrong with them, but they are definitely not at the top of the pack.

There was another thread that had UK Universities in Tiers with Oxbridge as a Tier 1 University, while I think UCL, Manchester, LSE and Imperial were labelled as Tier 2. Then the list goes down. I think KCL and Nottingham were Tier 3 or something like that.

Sometimes, it baffles me to see a random University in the top 10 overall in the UK but not even in the top 300 of the World's Best Universities.

No the G5 target unis are (lse,oxbridge,Warwick,imperial,ucl) in no particular order.

Kings College and Nottingham have good reputations, but, to me, they don't have that solid reputation of the top tier universities that Oxbridge, Manchester, UCL, LSE and Imperial have. You cannot go wrong with them, but they are definitely not at the top of the pack.

Sometimes, it baffles me to see a random University in the top 10 overall best in the UK but not even in the top 300 of the World's Best Universities.

I don't think manchester should be within tier 2.
Original post by Rkai01
No the G5 target unis are (lse,oxbridge,Warwick,imperial,ucl) in no particular order.

I think the G5 Universities are move relevant to IB and Finance (correct me, if I am wrong). If so, then warwick seems to be a target for business, finance and maths.

Other than that I don't think that Warwick is at the same level with the other universities.
Reply 13
I think the G5 Universities are move relevant to IB and Finance (correct me, if I am wrong). If so, then warwick seems to be a target for business, finance and maths.

Other than that I don't think that Warwick is at the same level with the other universities.

Well on the QS it is consistently high and on complete uni guide it doesn't move around. Like Manchester isn't really in the top 10
Original post by SayoniRoy
I don't think manchester should be within tier 2.

Based on overall performance, I think it is. Globally, it is ranked as the 33rd best university in the world.

Unfortunately, Manchester appears to have a very hard time gaining respect in the UK, probably because of an inherent bias towards universities in the south of england and Oxbridge.

Warwick is highly ranked for almost every course it does, there isn't a course it does which is ranked over 15. This is why it is a top 10 university, and the likes of Manchester is not.
Original post by Rkai01
Well on the QS it is consistently high and on complete uni guide it doesn't move around. Like Manchester isn't really in the top 10

Based on overall performance, I think it is. Globally, it is ranked as the 33rd best university in the world.

Unfortunately, Manchester appears to have a very hard time gaining respect in the UK, probably because of an inherent bias towards universities in the south of england and Oxbridge.

Let me just put it out there that I am not a Manchester student, so no bias from my part.

If you are talking of global rank kcl is ranked higher than manchester, now according to you it should be in tier 2 then
Original post by SayoniRoy
If you are talking of global rank kcl is ranked higher than manchester, now according to you it should be in tier 2 then

I said that there was a thread that had universities in tiers, where KCL was not a tier 2 University. I was just repeating what I read from another thread.

I maintain my point that Manchester appears to have a bad time in local rankings with favourable view towards oxbridge and south of england universities.

Let me just put it out there that I am not a Manchester student, so no bias from my part.

KCL is ranked 27th in the world and is above Manchester in every International ranking, so I think there is bias in your answers.

KCL >>> Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending