The Student Room Group

Changing courses through clearing or taking a gap year?

Ok so I have a place at uni for biomedical science but I'm fairly sure that its not the right subject for me.
I've applied for mathematics and statistics through clearing and have offers from 2 unis but I'm not 100% sure if I'll enjoy this course either
I haven't done further maths so I'm worried that I'll find the course too hard for me as I wouldn't say maths comes naturally to me.
Not sure if its better for me to take a gap year and possibly take further maths AS to see if I think maths is right for me or just take a place from clearing and risk dropping out :/
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by qewrtyu
Ok so I have a place at uni for biomedical science but I'm fairly sure that its not the right subject for me.
I've applied for mathematics and statistics through clearing and have offers from 2 unis but I'm not 100% sure if I'll enjoy this course either
I haven't done further maths so I'm worried that I'll find the course too hard for me as I wouldn't say maths comes naturally to me.
Not sure if its better for me to take a gap year and possibly take further maths AS to see if I think maths is right for me or just take a place from clearing and risk dropping out :/
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Being unsure = gap year.
you dont need to study fm - it will be covered at university. but you do need to think about what you want to do

what degree do you want, what skills & what career. there is no rush to this, universities & employers will not care if you took a gap year
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Being unsure = gap year.

I'm just under a lot of pressure from my parents to go to uni this year and I'm not sure if taking a gap year will just mean I'll be stuck in the same position next year, only having wasted a year as well:s-smilie:

Original post by Table dust
you dont need to study fm - it will be covered at university. but you do need to think about what you want to do

what degree do you want, what skills & what career. there is no rush to this, universities & employers will not care if you took a gap year

Yeah I'm just worried that my math skills won't be good enough to keep up, only got a C in C4 although I managed an A overall. Also not sure if I would be happy with doing maths full time and nothing else.
The problem is I really have no idea which career would suit me as I don't really have a passion for anything in particular
Original post by qewrtyu
I'm just under a lot of pressure from my parents to go to uni this year and I'm not sure if taking a gap year will just mean I'll be stuck in the same position next year, only having wasted a year as well:s-smilie:

Tell them that studying the wrong subject for three years would be a waste of around £45k. Come up with a plan for a constructive gap year.
Reply 5
Also I haven't visited 2 of the unis I have offers from (Reading and York). Does anyone have any experience with either of these unis? Also is it likely that I'll be able to get accommodation in halls?
Reply 6
Another concern is that I would be unlikely to get any offers for maths if I apply next year as my grades are lower than most of the entry requirements for unis (ABB). Am I just throwing away the opportunity of a place at a good uni if I take a gap year -_-
I think everyone has doubts before they start (me included). If you start the course and still feel this way drop out and reapply?? Taking a gap year works for some and not for others. If I took a gap year for example I feel like I would just waste the year and still not end up with a concrete decision.
Reply 9
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I think everyone has doubts before they start (me included). If you start the course and still feel this way drop out and reapply?? Taking a gap year works for some and not for others. If I took a gap year for example I feel like I would just waste the year and still not end up with a concrete decision.

Yeah thats exactly what I'm worried about. However if I end up dropping out of uni it will still result in a wasted year :s-smilie:
Struggling to pick between 2 universities I know absolutely nothing about and with similar rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending