The Student Room Group

Nottingham or gap year then durham for maths

After results day i have achieved A*AA In Maths, Further Maths and Physics and exceeded my offer from Nottingham for AAA. Originally i hoped to go through adjustment to Durham (Entry requirements A*AA) to only find out the course was full.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the Pros and Cons about taking a gap year to go to a slightly more prestigious university the next year. From what iv'e heard most unis don't like gap years for mathematics as you become "Rusty".
Reply 1
Only take a gap year if it'd still be worth it should Durham reject you. Of course, you have a decent chance, but meeting the entry requirements does not guarantee entry.

What would you do in this year? If you're interested in something practical, paid and I think with an option to do maths course, look into the Year in Industry placements. Mostly engineery type stuff, but worth looking at.
I believe Durham introduce their own maths entrance exam next year so it's worth looking into that, just make sure you do lots of maths to keep yourself sharp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless you have useful plans for the gap year I wouldn't bother. Ultimately however, as long as you show some evidence of having maintained your skills you will almost certainly receive an offer from Nottingham and comparable universities if you applied again, so even if Durham reject you you'll have only "lost" a year.

You'll be fine either way.
Reply 4
Original post by drandy76
I believe Durham introduce their own maths entrance exam next year so it's worth looking into that, just make sure you do lots of maths to keep yourself sharp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any ideas what sort of difficulty this would be compared to the mat or Step?
Reply 5
I was in a similar situation! I had firmed Nottingham for Economics but achieved A*A*A. Initially I was thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying to somewhere better, however, I'm now just going to stick with Notts because I cba for a gap year.

I think that if you really liked Notts then just stick with it, it's still an amazing university. I think universities do get a bit iffy about gap years for maths but if you did something that still utilised maths throughout the year I am sure they would be more lenient- maybe A level tutoring? I think that you should contact all the unis that you think you may apply to next year and see their views on gap years.
Maths courses tend to not like if you take a gap year as they don't want your maths to go rusty. So if you do take a gap year, make sure you write in your personal statement you're doing some sort of a maths course to keep practicing it
Original post by Kwidnall
Do you have any ideas what sort of difficulty this would be compared to the mat or Step?

It's similar to the MAT in terms of style and when it's held I think, from sample papers I've seen perhaps a bit easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never do a gap year for maths. You'll be out of practice, and no top uni will accept you unless you've done a lot of work to keep up your skill. Nottingham is a good uni - you'll be better off going there and keeping your momentum from a-level going than taking a break and miraculously getting in to Durham only to fall behind because you're not ready.
Nottingham is still a good university, and in my opinion would be the more favorable option over taking a gap year. Deloitte recruit directly from the maths department, so that's great if it's the sort of thing you're looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest