The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArkhamAsylum_
Hey I'm ArkhamAsylum_
I'm currently 15 and turning 16 next August. I'm not looking forward to yr 11 at all cos of all the stress...:frown:
Is anyone here doing OCR Gateway b triple science?
Or have done any of the controlled assessments?

Don't be stressed! You have a long time to prepare! :smile: (and turn around any grades you're not happy with)
Original post by _gcx
Don't be stressed! You have a long time to prepare! :smile: (and turn around any grades you're not happy with)

Thanks. I am happy with my grades for maths and science but I am especially worried about history as I do not have a good teacher at school and my class is very disruptive and so it is very difficult to learn anything. I guess I will have to learn all of the content at home. What do you recommend i do?
Reply 102
Anyone got their National Insurance Number yet?
- JTran38
Hey I'm ArkhamAsylum_
I'm currently 15 and turning 16 next August. I'm not looking forward to yr 11 at all cos of all the stress...:frown:
Is anyone here doing OCR Gateway b triple science?
Or have done any of the controlled assessments?

I'm doing OCR gateway b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I am happy with my grades for maths and science but I am especially worried about history as I do not have a good teacher at school and my class is very disruptive and so it is very difficult to learn anything. I guess I will have to learn all of the content at home. What do you recommend i do?

What exam board are you on for History?
Original post by snikerio
I'm doing OCR gateway b

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you done any of the controlled assessments?
Original post by _gcx
What exam board are you on for History?

AQA
AQA

Oh ok, I'm on OCR. Are you on History B? I'd maybe look at the spec, tbh, to see what you need to learn. Your textbook might help in that regard.
Have you done any of the controlled assessments?

Yes we've done all 3, I got 45/48 on bio and chem and 44/48 :redface: on physics so if you need advice on anything I could give you some tips :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _gcx
Oh ok, I'm on OCR. Are you on History B? I'd maybe look at the spec, tbh, to see what you need to learn. Your textbook might help in that regard.

Yhh i'm doing history b. That's a good idea, i will look at the spec. I will revise from the textbook and do some past papers so I should be fine. Thanks. :smile:
Yhh i'm doing history b. That's a good idea, i will look at the spec. I will revise from the textbook and do some past papers so I should be fine. Thanks. :smile:

Good luck! Once you're back in school you can ask your teacher to explain anything you're unsure about after class.
Original post by snikerio
Yes we've done all 3, I got 45/48 on bio and chem and 44/48 :redface: on physics so if you need advice on anything I could give you some tips :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow well done :smile:. I've already finished my physics one (my teacher is still marking them) and I have done the research and the plan for chemistry but still have part 3 left to do when school starts again. Currently, I am doing the research on biology (osmosis). How many pages did you do for the research for bio? How detailed did you go for the question on the difference in structure of animal & plant cells? Could you just give me any tips for the research?
If anyone does ICT edexel please tell me.
I think i may have flopped very very badly with the Animal shelter coursework...:frown:
Wow well done :smile:. I've already finished my physics one (my teacher is still marking them) and I have done the research and the plan for chemistry but still have part 3 left to do when school starts again. Currently, I am doing the research on biology (osmosis). How many pages did you do for the research for bio? How detailed did you go for the question on the difference in structure of animal & plant cells? Could you just give me any tips for the research?

Thank you :smile:
For the osmosis one, I believe I brought about 7 pages of just copied and pasted info and wrote up 4 sides (with a 2 side bibliography). We were given a double lesson for that so I had plenty of time to sort out the parts most relevant to the questions in lesson. I'm sure you know this, but the bibliography is soooo important. Make sure you get everything your teacher tells you to include - the entire URL, the author, the date when it was last edited, when you accessed it and the company or organisation that made it. We were also told specifically not to use Wikipedia. Don't forget to reference as you go as well.

For the structure, I believe I just printed off a picture of the two different types of cells and used that as a reference. I had two sections; similarities and differences. If I recognised the part of the cell I would add what it was used for; i.e. mitochondria for respiration, because organisms need to respire etc etc. I also mentioned the names of some stuff that were in the diagram but I hadn't heard of like golgi apparatus. This probably wasn't the best strategy though. I would recommend finding out what parts of the cells we're required to know and discussing them in order to be efficient and cover anything that's required. Splitting it up into similarities and differences worked well. (bare in mind [I think] research isn't marked on content, but method, thus why there's so much emphasis on the bibliography)

Good luck with your physics! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by Cxesar
If anyone does ICT edexel please tell me.
I think i may have flopped very very badly with the Animal shelter coursework...:frown:

@MrMackyTv may be able to help, just PM him :biggrin:
Reply 115
Original post by Creamystudies
Me😢

Could you PM me :biggrin:
Original post by JTran38
Anyone got their National Insurance Number yet?
- JTran38

Yup! Got it a few weeks ago, but haven't used it at all since. At least it means we can go out and get a job!

Also I'm gonna make a new Skype account to join the group, since my current Skype account name is Cringey with a capital C.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by Gabzinc
Yup! Got it a few weeks ago, but haven't used it at all since. At least it means we can go out and get a job!

Also I'm gonna make a new Skype account to join the group, since my current Skype account name is Cringey with a capital C.

Nice and please PM me.
Only just noticed there's a new thread! Year 11 already? Time flies...
Original post by thepewds_
Only just noticed there's a new thread! Year 11 already? Time flies...

Really? Year 10 has dragged on a lot for me! :P

Latest