The Student Room Group

A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Results AS
Biology: Predicted A/ Achieved A (IAL)
Chemistry: Predicted A/ Achieved A (IAL)
Physics: Predicted A/ Achieved A (IAL)
Maths: Predicted A/ Achieved A

Comments and Reactions
I was pleasedish.. I was very happy with my physics with 296/300 UMS. But was a bit disappointed with my Biology as I was really shocked with the UMS that I got for unit 1 and 2 because I thought I did good. Chemistry and Maths were alright I guess. Don't judge guys I know I should be super happy but reasons....

Ambitions
Medicine in UK, HKU, USA (accelerated hopefully :biggrin:)
Can someone explain what the point scale means for the new AS results? I really don't understand just got my results. :smile:
Original post by dawideksoltysik

Hi, I've got a B in Media but I've got marked down by 11 marks in my coursework from 78/80 to 67/80 and my teacher will hopefully appeal to these results as my whole class got marked down in the coursework by at least 7 marks and the most by 20. I could have easily got an A in Media overall but because my coursework was marked down, I got a B.

I got a C for design with a B in coursework and C in the exam. I really don't know how I got a C in the exam as we only had 6 theory lessons in the whole year and everyone in my class got a U in the exam, so I was happy I got a C.

In geography, I was one of the students that done considerably well in Unit 2 and done considerably well in Unit 1 which was a D. I know this isn't right as I was predicted a B and this didn't happen. I have to resit Unit 1 exam next year but hey, maybe I'll do better! I was also happy that I was the only 3 students to even get a grade for geography as everyone got a U across the board of all students who studies Geography AS.

I think my results aren't that great but because we're a brand new school and we're the first to sit AS, only two of my teachers taught ALevel before and knew what they were doing - Media Teacher and my Unit 1 Physical Geography teacher - in who's part I've done above national average apparently and if I've done just as well in the human side, I could have got a high B or a low A altogether so I was really annoyed about this.

The thing is though that since so many students were forced to drop the subject or leave sixth form altogether, in Design for example, we have two teachers and now there is only three of us, in geography we have two teachers and there is only 4 of us and in media we have two teachers and there's now only four of us. Even through most of my class mates and friends left, I think I'm going to get alot more help individually from my teachers!

What subjects do you do? Let me know

Well done with your results! It sounds like you've done well compared to everyone else in your sixth form. I feel the same, quite a few of my friends have not done as well as they would've like with their results (one of them got CEEE and is going to do a course at college instead)
Quite a few people taking demanding subjects like maths/sciences have not done well as they hoped (another friend got an E in maths, despite her dad being a maths teacher!) My school was pretty much a mixed bag of grades, and it's shocking how people who had done so well at GCSE didn't do as well at A level!

Apart from a level geography, I take psychology, history and biology. Got an A in psychology which I'm happy with, a B in geog, a C in history (how I got a C I have no idea) and an E in biology (which I'm really upset about)

Not a lot of people did well in biology (my mate also got an E) and the head of science looked very stressed on results day. I am hoping to carry it into A2 if I am allowed along with geog and psychology. It is my biology teachers decision as to whether I'm allowed to carry on. I think I should, I got an A in the January mocks and get Bs and Cs throughout the year. I was 4 marks off a D so the head of science said they would consider me to carry on, as they do know I work hard (I got nominated and won an endeavour award by my biology teachers and others)

So confused with what to do with my life now. My dad blames the biology grade on bad teaching, which I partly agree with as my main teacher missed a lot of lessons and rushed through the whole chapter on genetics. The papers were horrible though with only two of the topics actually appearing in paper 1 when all of them could appear.

As I said quite a few people look set to drop out of sixth form so it looks like we'll both get more one-to-one with our subject teachers. As for your subjects, your teachers may get a telling off for the grades your classes got (especially the Us in geography!) My geography teachers are not allowing anyone to resit geog1, as they're saying it'll be too much work next year along with the new topics next year.

Which topics are you doing? We're doing world cities, development and globalisation, plate tectonics and either a choice of ecosystems (which I'm secretly hoping for as we covered it at GCSE) or something to do with meteorology (sounds dead hard lol)
Original post by Luke F
My AS results were such a shock to me, as I will compare with my Jan. Mock results (marked by the school itself)

June 2016:

History: D
Psychology: U
Sociology: E
General Studies: E

For a comparison, my mocks - (five months beforehand - Jan 2016):

History: A
Psychology: E
Sociology: C
General Studies: N/A

I don't know what on earth happened. I put more effort/ revision into my exams in June than my mocks, and I somehow screw up royally?????

You're not alone, I got an A in biology mock and E on results day. I also looked at how many marks I got and feel like my school either marks way too generously or examiners mark too strict. I think it may be the former though, as in biology the teachers often give BOD (benefit of the doubt) marks
Reply 544
Original post by Sapereaude45
Can someone explain what the point scale means for the new AS results? I really don't understand just got my results. :smile:

I think it's something to do with how schools are ranked and nothing to do with us. Have a look at this post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1743508&page=2&p=49365793#post49365793
Original post by CeltyV
I think it's something to do with how schools are ranked and nothing to do with us. Have a look at this post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1743508&page=2&p=49365793#post49365793

Oh so based on the grades we get our school gets put in a position in the league table

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 546
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Oh so based on the grades we get our school gets put in a position in the league table

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess so. It seems legit since these points don't have anything to do with either raw marks, UMS or UCAS points.
Original post by matt.thorne10
I'm assuming you're talking about Edexcel? For them you need 480/600 UMS overall to get an A, then on top of that you have to average 90 UMS on C3 and C4 to get an A*. This means that you can get an A* with only 480 UMS if you do well enough on C3 and C4, alternatively you could get like 550/600 and still only get an A. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, but I did AQA. Is it the same system?
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Haha...
Wait, why's that?
Because that AS has no bearing on your A Level. The AS is a one year course, the A Level is a two year course, that's three years crammed into two. You're not supposed to be doing that, but a lot of schools and colleges are doing it and I don't think it is fair.
Original post by BlackthornRose
Thanks very much, but I did AQA. Is it the same system?

Yes I do aqa the A* is the same for them I chalked online it's in the spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
I chalked online
That sounds like a euphemism for something...
Original post by 04MR17
That sounds like a euphemism for something...

Checked sorry I type very bad lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Results

Economics: Predicted A / Achieved A

History: Predicted A / Achieved D

Law: Predicted A / Achieved A

Politics: Predicted A / Achieved B

Comments and reactions
Very enjoyable when your economics teacher says you're working at a C+ and then you get 92% 😂. History was one mark off a C so no surprise, law was a nice 90% and politics was an A and a C in the two papers so I'll be resitting the latter.

Future ambitions
Plan to take Politics at University, Warwick, Bath and Edinburgh are the targets, going for AAA at least next year 😊
Results:
Maths = A Core 1 = 92/100, Core 2 = 85/100, D1 =50/100
Further Maths = C Fp1 = 61/100, M1 = 85/100, D2 = 71/100 Fp1 was very disheartening during the exam, awful timing.
Physics = C

In actuality I got a B in further maths, but because I came in with a low blow in D1 they swapped it with M1, giving me the best maths grade and
worst in further maths. Physics I was the only person in the entire year to get an A in the mock, I definitely slacked a bit after that and then the
new spec paper 2 destroyed me and I thought I would get a D or below. Saying that though, I filled an entire classroom with notes of perfect
memory the morning before the exam, 8 large whiteboards of everything due to come up in paper 2 and teachers came in taking photos etc
saying i should be confident. I guess paper 2 was more about understanding rather than knowledge. Disheartened at first as I am capable of 3A's, but its a learning curve and at the end of the day, I just need to resit 2 modules. D1 was complete lack of work - I will smash it this year roundand I know I need to be more confident. I'm very determined right now, so lets go kill A2 :biggrin:
Results

Economics : Predicted B/ Achieved A

Politics: Predicted A / Achieved A

Maths:Predicted B / Achieved B

Geography Predicted B/ Achieved C

Comments and reactionsOverall, I'm satisfied with these results. At first I was disappointed with the maths since it was 5 ums from an A, the C was a shock as well because I thought I had secured a B.
Future ambitions
I want to study economics at Birmingham although I am slightly worried that my B in maths will hold me back. Although I received a high B my school would count it as generous to predict me a B,meaning that my choice in uni's is narrowed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Results
Politics - A
History - A
Religious Studies - A
French - B (having it remarked)

Reactions
Relieved and beyond happy

Aspirations
Law at uni, hopefully at Cambridge
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TrueDAN
Results:
Maths = A Core 1 = 92/100, Core 2 = 85/100, D1 =50/100
Further Maths = C Fp1 = 61/100, M1 = 85/100, D2 = 71/100 Fp1 was very disheartening during the exam, awful timing.
Physics = C

In actuality I got a B in further maths, but because I came in with a low blow in D1 they swapped it with M1, giving me the best maths grade and
worst in further maths. Physics I was the only person in the entire year to get an A in the mock, I definitely slacked a bit after that and then the
new spec paper 2 destroyed me and I thought I would get a D or below. Saying that though, I filled an entire classroom with notes of perfect
memory the morning before the exam, 8 large whiteboards of everything due to come up in paper 2 and teachers came in taking photos etc
saying i should be confident. I guess paper 2 was more about understanding rather than knowledge. Disheartened at first as I am capable of 3A's, but its a learning curve and at the end of the day, I just need to resit 2 modules. D1 was complete lack of work - I will smash it this year roundand I know I need to be more confident. I'm very determined right now, so lets go kill A2 :biggrin:
AQA right?
Wrong thread! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
My Results

Business Studies
Predicted A | Achieved A

Economics
Predicted A | Achieved A

Law
Predicted A | Achieved B (Getting remark as i only got 67 UMS in law01, i was expecting 87 UMS)

Maths
Predicted A | Achieved C

Comments and Reactions
To be quite honest I'm really disappointed with my results, especially with law because that's what i want to study at university and the As were only just.

Future ambitions
I want to go to the university of law (I need BBB, but aimingfor A*AA) and then train to be a criminal barrister.

Quick Reply

Latest