The Student Room Group

Too poor for uni - what can I do?

I lost my accommodation because I wasn't able to pay for the booking and I now applied for accommodation again which means I will have to pay even more which I simply cannot afford.
Student finance hasn't told me if I'm eligible for a loan or how much maintenance loan I will get and I don't have the money to pay for the new uni accommodation deposit + the booking fee. I rang up the uni and they said I can't have extra time to pay. I also can't promise them to be able to pay when my loan does come through as I don't know how much it will be.
My dad earns 27 000 a year and as a single parent with other things to pay, he cannot support me except the occasional 10 pounds here and there.
What other options do I have? I have no savings as they all went into the previous deposit which I will not get back and despite desperately looking for work, I've yet to find one (I can't drive and I live in a very rural area so there were always travel and timing issues that I couldn't resolve). Right now, it seems like I have to ring up the uni and give up my place as I cannot just show up to uni that is 5 hours away without a place to stay.

Scroll to see replies

Have you applied for student finance already? Get in touch with them and tell them of the urgency as you're about to lose your accommodation
Hi Jannu,

If you haven't already it might be worth investigating if the Uni have any discretionary funding or even support/advice they can offer. At most Uni's there is a 'Widening Participation' department whose aim is to help break down barriers like this. Not saying you WILL be eligible, but they would be a good first start.
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Have you applied for student finance already? Get in touch with them and tell them of the urgency as you're about to lose your accommodation

I rang them up today and after 10 minutes, they told me I had to send more evidence off which I did ASAP. So it looks like I will start Uni before I even get my application looked at. I've been waiting for 4 months and rang them up pretty much weekly, it's a joke to be honest.
Reply 4
Original post by Sarah_Brighton
Hi Jannu,

If you haven't already it might be worth investigating if the Uni have any discretionary funding or even support/advice they can offer. At most Uni's there is a 'Widening Participation' department whose aim is to help break down barriers like this. Not saying you WILL be eligible, but they would be a good first start.

Thank you, I'll definitely look into it on Monday. They said finding another accommodation will take up to 3 days so hopefully I'll have time by then to work out if I can get some help or extra time to pay.
I'm just so stressed out over this, they weren't lenient when I asked for 4 extra days so let's hope they do have something.
Have you applied for a student bank account and the interest free overdraft?
Which university is this?
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you applied for a student bank account and the interest free overdraft?

I'm going to the bank on Monday so I will definitely ask about it, thank you!
What will that allow me to do?
Reply 8
Original post by HappinessStar
Which university is this?

Nottingham Trent.
Original post by jannu123
Nottingham Trent.

For what subject? This may be a blessing in disguise.
Reply 10
Original post by HappinessStar
For what subject? This may be a blessing in disguise.

English.
Reply 11
Hi Jannu123,

Do you live close to uni? Is commuting from home a possibility for the first year?
If not get in touch with the student services department at NTU as they most likely have some form of income assessed bursary or hardship fund that you can apply for. Considering your parent's circumstance you should be getting the maximum amount of student finance which is nearly 8k. I remember going to an open day at Nottingham Trent a few years ago and it was so expensive!!

The main thing you need to do is budget. Write down all your major outgoings and how much you need each month as then you can see what your short of. Tbh the max amount of student finance should really cover you. If it doesn't start looking in other places, can you get your phone bill be cheaper? do you have stuff you could sell on ebay before you go? Even though you might not be able to find a job atm, retail will start advertising for xmas temps soon that could boost you by about £1000 over November & December which will be a big help. Check on NTU's student union website for jobs too, the uni i'm at have student staff behind the bar, library and tuck shop.

I think everyone at some point has struggled with money at university but unfortunately that's just the way it is sometimes. If you can't afford to go out with friends then don't. Budget your food and take a packed lunch in everyday to save money. If you put yourself out there and ask people for help you'll get it.

Good luck to you, have a great time at uni!
I'm going to the bank on Monday so I will definitely ask about it, thank you!
What will that allow me to do?

in theory you could get £500-£1000 overdraft interest free which means you can spend an extra £1000 to what is in your bank with no immediate consequences, then when your SF goes in it would start to pay off that overdraft (e.g. you have £100, spend £700 which leaves your balance at -£600, if £1500 student finance then goes in your balance would be £900)
don't rely on this though as some banks won't give you the overdraft until you start university

is it possible for your dad to use an overdraft facility or credit card on the basis you pay him back as soon as your finance comes in and you're eligible for an overdraft? it might incur some small charges but you could pay those back as well

you should be able to use a calculator on the SF website to find an estimate for what your loan/grant will total, plus look on nottingham trent's website to see if you qualify for any bursaries

it shouldn't be a problem to find accommodation at late notice, there are always people who want out of their contracts (who may be give you the room without you paying a deposit) you just need to think whether what you can get is worth it or whether you would prefer to defer for a year and work and earn some money
Reply 13
Original post by 1c8e2
Hi Jannu123,

Do you live close to uni? Is commuting from home a possibility for the first year?
If not get in touch with the student services department at NTU as they most likely have some form of income assessed bursary or hardship fund that you can apply for. Considering your parent's circumstance you should be getting the maximum amount of student finance which is nearly 8k. I remember going to an open day at Nottingham Trent a few years ago and it was so expensive!!

The main thing you need to do is budget. Write down all your major outgoings and how much you need each month as then you can see what your short of. Tbh the max amount of student finance should really cover you. If it doesn't start looking in other places, can you get your phone bill be cheaper? do you have stuff you could sell on ebay before you go? Even though you might not be able to find a job atm, retail will start advertising for xmas temps soon that could boost you by about £1000 over November & December which will be a big help. Check on NTU's student union website for jobs too, the uni i'm at have student staff behind the bar, library and tuck shop.

I think everyone at some point has struggled with money at university but unfortunately that's just the way it is sometimes. If you can't afford to go out with friends then don't. Budget your food and take a packed lunch in everyday to save money. If you put yourself out there and ask people for help you'll get it.

Good luck to you, have a great time at uni!

Hey. As I stated, I live 5 hours away so there is no way I can live at home :frown: I am very good at budgeting since I come from a family that has had hardship with money all my life - I don't even have a phone bill because I only use top up and go and rarely use it to call or text anyway. If I get the maximum loan, it will cover me nicely, the question is, will I get it.
Thank you so much for the reply, I will give the department a call and see what they can do. I never even knew Uni's can help you with things like this as the person I talked to quite blankly said - no money, tough luck, you're not coming.
Reply 14
I lost my accommodation because I wasn't able to pay for the booking and I now applied for accommodation again which means I will have to pay even more which I simply cannot afford.
Student finance hasn't told me if I'm eligible for a loan or how much maintenance loan I will get and I don't have the money to pay for the new uni accommodation deposit + the booking fee. I rang up the uni and they said I can't have extra time to pay. I also can't promise them to be able to pay when my loan does come through as I don't know how much it will be.
My dad earns 27 000 a year and as a single parent with other things to pay, he cannot support me except the occasional 10 pounds here and there.
What other options do I have? I have no savings as they all went into the previous deposit which I will not get back and despite desperately looking for work, I've yet to find one (I can't drive and I live in a very rural area so there were always travel and timing issues that I couldn't resolve). Right now, it seems like I have to ring up the uni and give up my place as I cannot just show up to uni that is 5 hours away without a place to stay.

Work for a few years and try to get in later in life as a mature?
Reply 15
Original post by doodle_333
in theory you could get £500-£1000 overdraft interest free which means you can spend an extra £1000 to what is in your bank with no immediate consequences, then when your SF goes in it would start to pay off that overdraft (e.g. you have £100, spend £700 which leaves your balance at -£600, if £1500 student finance then goes in your balance would be £900)
don't rely on this though as some banks won't give you the overdraft until you start university

is it possible for your dad to use an overdraft facility or credit card on the basis you pay him back as soon as your finance comes in and you're eligible for an overdraft? it might incur some small charges but you could pay those back as well

you should be able to use a calculator on the SF website to find an estimate for what your loan/grant will total, plus look on nottingham trent's website to see if you qualify for any bursaries

it shouldn't be a problem to find accommodation at late notice, there are always people who want out of their contracts (who may be give you the room without you paying a deposit) you just need to think whether what you can get is worth it or whether you would prefer to defer for a year and work and earn some money

Thank you for your reply. I will have to talk to him to see if that's possible. It's just the fact that his mum relies on him heavily and he has to spend nearly
600 pounds a month on her care home and medication so I think he might be quite a bit in debt from that already with credit cards. I did tell him that if I got a loan, I would pay him or anyone we can find back.
It just sucks that they don't tell you about the extra booking fee at the beginning so you could save up and instead send an email the day after results day asking for 200 pounds ASAP without being lenient.
Reply 16
Original post by IYGB
Work for a few years and try to get in later in life as a mature?

If nothing works out then I might have to yes. A real shame really, I've worked my absolute ass off and now there's 200 pounds standing between me going and not going. Thank you for replying.
If nothing works out then I might have to yes. A real shame really, I've worked my absolute ass off and now there's 200 pounds standing between me going and not going. Thank you for replying.

I don't suppose you could take out a loan from a third party. I hate the idea of doing this but I'm just spit-balling ideas really. I have no idea if you're still illegible because of how late it is now but it may be worth inquiring about bursaries and such with the university, which will help you a lot in university :smile: Surely your dad being a single parent will mean Student Finance is likely to give you a much higher maintenance loan/grant as well? Just make sure you keep speaking to the university, student finance and the bank and I'm sure you'll be able to figure something out if you're really adamant about going this year.
Reply 18
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I don't suppose you could take out a loan from a third party. I hate the idea of doing this but I'm just spit-balling ideas really. I have no idea if you're still illegible because of how late it is now but it may be worth inquiring about bursaries and such with the university, which will help you a lot in university :smile: Surely your dad being a single parent will mean Student Finance is likely to give you a much higher maintenance loan/grant as well? Just make sure you keep speaking to the university, student finance and the bank and I'm sure you'll be able to figure something out if you're really adamant about going this year.

Once my dad gets home, I will have a real serious conversation about the whole thing and where we stand. I already sent out 3 emails to the Uni and I will ring up Student Finance next week to check if things are on the move. Thank you for replying :smile:
You and your Dad haven't made the mistake of thinking that because you both feel he can't support you financially there's no point in completing the 'supporting a student' part of the student finance application have you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending