The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - Help, I missed my medical school offer!

Scroll to see replies

I achieved A*AB (maths, chemistry and biology respectively), still really really want to apply for medicine. I did not hold any offers before as I achieved BBBc at AS and decided to work really hard for my A2 exams, apply for medicine for 2017 entry and do a gap year. What chance do I stand with any of the UK universities with A*AB?
I am prepared to do whatever it takes, even go abroad but I do not want to go through graduate entry medicine.
biomed at st gorge's or qmul? any thoughts or are they pretty similar?
Original post by angoranimi
I achieved A*AB (maths, chemistry and biology respectively), still really really want to apply for medicine. I did not hold any offers before as I achieved BBBc at AS and decided to work really hard for my A2 exams, apply for medicine for 2017 entry and do a gap year. What chance do I stand with any of the UK universities with A*AB?
I am prepared to do whatever it takes, even go abroad but I do not want to go through graduate entry medicine.

Unfortunately for most unis that won't satisfy the standard AAA offer. Best thing would be to contact the universities directly to ask on the off chance that they will accept it. Another option would be to resit the B in biology- some unis such as BSMS would accept this (as long as you got an A next summer). Look into the option of resits, however very few unis allow this and there is no guarantee. Best of luck :smile:
Exeter also accept resits. Most medical schools don't but there are a few which may be an option.
Reply 44
Original post by teef
My brother's offer at Keele was AAA or A*AB. Might be worth giving them a ring and seeing if they'd consider an application from you for the next cycle. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, Keele have upped their entry requirements to A*AA for 2017 entry so I can't see them taking something who's achieved lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45

Congrats on your results. They may not have been what you wanted for medicine but they're still good.

It's obviously worth ringing around every med school in the next few weeks for your next application for 2017 entry. But with a B, I'm not sure how much luck you'd have.

For UK, it would have to be grad med.

Either that or resit and apply to the handful of schools that accept resits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayAhm
Congrats on your results. They may not have been what you wanted for medicine but they're still good.

It's obviously worth ringing around every med school in the next few weeks for your next application for 2017 entry. But with a B, I'm not sure how much luck you'd have.

For UK, it would have to be grad med.

Either that or resit and apply to the handful of schools that accept resits

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for being truthful and not trying to fill me with false hope, really appreciate it.
I only had one offer for medicine (no insurance because i really hate biomed). I was already scared because track didn't update. I went to school and found out I missed my offer by quite a bit. I called the medical school and they told me they were still reviewing my application and that I should hear back within a week. I told this to the head of sixth form and he was (quite rightly) kind of pissed so he demanded to speak to them. He did and they said I would hear back later in the day.

I get home and around 7 hours later the med school calls to tell me that I have secured a place! UCAS track then updated half an hour later. So results day was kind of a roller coaster ride for me haha.

I would like to give a big thank you to all the helpful guys and girls on here. I honestly couldn't have done it without the wealth of information on the medicine subforum, the wiki and the users who would always take their time to answer my silly questions. I hope to stay active so I can help future applicants the same way you guys helped me. You da real MVPs. Keep doing what you do!

And lastly good luck to all the applicants who didn't make it this year. There are other routes into medicine, it's sometimes a bit of a trek but if you put your mind to it you can definitely do it. And though it feels like it now, medicine is not the be-all-end-all! There are people I know who didn't get in and they are going on to do fantastic things!

Once again, thank you and best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm surprised at the number of people saying to do a BSc. In your case I would resit. If you're one or two grades away, I think that using this method of getting in is good - even if you don't get in, your grades will hopefully go up. Gap years are also great for maturity too. I was in a similar situation last year - I achieved AABb last year, and now I'm going to BSMS in three weeks.

There are a handful of universities that accept resits without extenuating circumstances:
If you got AAB+: BSMS, Plymouth, Keele (have to apply after achieving A*AA)
ABB+: UEA, Lancaster
CCC+: Exeter, Liverpool

With your grades you could apply to any of the seven. ^^**

im in the exact same position and have a ukcat of 710 average. absolutely gutted
Reply 50
This time last year I was in the same position. I missed my offer with the equivalent of A*AB ( Biology Maths Chemistry) in my Cambridge Pre-U exams. So I took A levels from scratch in a year including physics which I had not done since GCSE as most universities require an AS exam. I had three interviews and two offers, more than the first time of applying. I will start medical school next month. I hope this gives hope to anyone thinking of re-sitting,
Original post by Kings_queens
im in the exact same position and have a ukcat of 710 average. absolutely gutted

Goand apply! Apply and resit, that's too good a UKCAT to waste!
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Goand apply! Apply and resit, that's too good a UKCAT to waste!

aww thanks and yeah i will definitely resit... i am two marks away from an A (unit 5 biol is being remarked)
Reply 53
Help!! what do i do to give myself the best chance of getting in to medicine

Achieved A*AA at A-levels and 8 A* 2 A for GCSE
Scored an average of 704 on the UKCAT

Got 4 rejections for Medicine, and also been rejected by SGUL this morning after an interview yesterday,
i am really disappointed and unsure what to do next, medicine is really the only course that I want to do

thank you
Original post by Y_A98

Got 4 rejections for Medicine, and also been rejected by SGUL this morning after an interview yesterday,
i am really disappointed and unsure what to do next, medicine is really the only course that I want to do

thank you

Gap year.
Original post by Y_A98

thank you

your grades are really really strong and so is your UKCAT.

My advice is apply again during your gap year, not only will you be more experienced but you will also be able to focus more without the worry of exam results.

Can I ask were you rejected pre or post interview this year?

Its now all about applying to your strengths, with your GCSE grades and now achieved A2 grades as well as UKCAT here are some good options for you where you are likely to get an interview:
- Aberdeen: score you 60% academic and 40% UKCAT where the highest scoring candidates are invited to interview. You will score well here.
- Birmingham: A*AA is what they require at A2 and having already achieved that plus having excellent GCSE grades and a really strong UKCAT will mean an interview is very likely here for you.
- Cardiff: im pretty sure with your achieved A2 grades you will score full marks on the academic score which means an interview is pretty much on the cards (providing your PS is good).
- Dundee: again because your GCSE, achieved A2 and UKCAT are strong you may be in with a good shot for an interview here.
- UEA: combine UKCAT and academics to make pre interview score and because yours a both strong you would be in for a good shot at an interview here.
- Hull-York: combine academics and UKCAT score pre interview which means you would have a really strong chance here.
- Kings college: great GCSE grades, amazing achieved A2 grades and a good UKCAT means kings would be a good (slightly more risky) application for you.
- Leicester: GCSE score plus achieved A2 grades plus UKCAT score for here will be good and wil likely get you a score above the cut off for interview.
- Nottingham: again great academic and UKCAT score will mean you will be in a good shot for an interview.
- QUB: strong academics and a great UKCAT will mean you are likely to get an interview here.
- St andrews: a really good UKCAT with great academics means st andrews will be highly likely to consider you for an interview.

Above is 11 schools which I think you will have a really good shot at. You will make a very very strong application to all of those above. It really is possible!
Also you would make good applications to other medical schools as well which are not on this list, I just chose the ones which are most likely to give you an interview based on your UKCAT and grades! If you have other schools in mind then see if you are strong there to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Natalierm2707
your grades are really really strong and so is your UKCAT.

My advice is apply again during your gap year, not only will you be more experienced but you will also be able to focus more without the worry of exam results.

Can I ask were you rejected pre or post interview this year?

Above is 11 schools which I think you will have a really good shot at. You will make a very very strong application to all of those above. It really is possible!
Also you would make good applications to other medical schools as well which are not on this list, I just chose the ones which are most likely to give you an interview based on your UKCAT and grades! If you have other schools in mind then see if you are strong there to.

Thank you for responding!
I applied to Cardiff, Nottingham where I was rejected without an interview, and Keele and Birmingham where I was rejected post interview.

Also I achieved AAAA at As in maths,chemistry,physics, and maths.

I am concerned that my PS is no where near the standard they expected but I hoped I would still be able to progress to an interview
Original post by Y_A98
Thank you for responding!
I applied to Cardiff, Nottingham where I was rejected without an interview, and Keele and Birmingham where I was rejected post interview.

Also I achieved AAAA at As in maths,chemistry,physics, and maths.

I am concerned that my PS is no where near the standard they expected but I hoped I would still be able to progress to an interview

Cardiff you would have been rejected because you got 25/27 which did not meet the interview cut off, for nottingham it looks like it may have been either your UKCAT or PS.

You really need to work on your interview technique if you get interviews this cycle, most med schools are MMI now and you need to get preparing for them!
Reply 58
Original post by Natalierm2707
Cardiff you would have been rejected because you got 25/27 which did not meet the interview cut off, for nottingham it looks like it may have been either your UKCAT or PS.

You really need to work on your interview technique if you get interviews this cycle, most med schools are MMI now and you need to get preparing for them!

how important is having a good PS when it comes to progressing to an interview? Is it considered more/as important as having good academics? this is something that has confused me in the past and I want to do every thing as best I can this time around
Original post by Y_A98
how important is having a good PS when it comes to progressing to an interview? Is it considered more/as important as having good academics? this is something that has confused me in the past and I want to do every thing as best I can this time around

It depends where you apply really, some assess the PS pre interview and score it and some dont even look at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending