The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What's everyone doing with regards to buying a bike? Getting one before you go and taking it down or just buying one in Cambridge when you get there?
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I was 1 mark off an A in Unit 4 and 7 marks off an A in unit 5, so I literally have no clue what went wrong. I knew unit 5 was worse but not that bad! Oh well, UMS is only really useful when they accept people, once you get to uni I don't think they really care that much. Nailed that 100% in coursework tho 😂

Oh but I was happy i got 96/120 in U4 as it is my first ever A in a physics exam loll.
Better then my 50/120 in U5 last year.....
Yeh I don't really care tho since my UMS wheb applying was high 70s now it is even lower.
Original post by Whizbox
What's everyone doing with regards to buying a bike? Getting one before you go and taking it down or just buying one in Cambridge when you get there?

AFAIK, buying one during the first few weeks of term is expensive because of high demand there. Cheaper to buy one before and bring it up, although not much choice for internationals.
Original post by physicsmaths
Oh but I was happy i got 96/120 in U4 as it is my first ever A in a physics exam loll.
Better then my 50/120 in U5 last year.....
Yeh I don't really care tho since my UMS wheb applying was high 70s now it is even lower.

Ah nice, beat me by 1 mark! 😂
Edexcel can go do one lol
5 UMS, that's crazy! 😰 I really want to know what happened with the papers now...

Edexcel Physics lyfe. Would not do again 0/10
Original post by Whizbox

Whatever you do, get an old, knackered one, nothing new at all. Pick the oldest, dullest, most battered looking bike you can and get it well serviced and buy a mahoosive lock! That way you minimise the chance of getting it nicked!

There will be a lot of competition to buy a bike once you get to Cam - most of the overseas students will want to by on arrival. There are quite a few places to buy a second hand bike, but sales will be crazy in the first couple of weeks, so if you can bring one, that's probably easier.
Original post by Zacken
AFAIK, buying one during the first few weeks of term is expensive because of high demand there. Cheaper to buy one before and bring it up, although not much choice for internationals.

Original post by threeportdrift
Whatever you do, get an old, knackered one, nothing new at all. Pick the oldest, dullest, most battered looking bike you can and get it well serviced and buy a mahoosive lock! That way you minimise the chance of getting it nicked!

There will be a lot of competition to buy a bike once you get to Cam - most of the overseas students will want to by on arrival. There are quite a few places to buy a second hand bike, but sales will be crazy in the first couple of weeks, so if you can bring one, that's probably easier.

Thanks guys I'll start looking for a dilapidated bike now then haha
Reply 3667
Original post by Medic_12345
How long does it take track to update after being taken from the pool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

same situation for me - I won't be completely calm until it updates xD
Original post by jweo
same situation for me - I won't be completely calm until it updates xD

Exactly, refresh game is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Already got 2 bikes one is new other one is slightly older but i think it is better.
Definately gna have to use it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know where lectures are for first year medicine? Are there any at the West Cambridge site?
Already got 2 bikes one is new other one is slightly older but i think it is better.
Definately gna have to use it

Posted from TSR Mobile

gimme one
Original post by Zacken
gimme one

I cud TBH.
But get me a dodo and you can have both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cud TBH.
But get me a dodo and you can have both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

too soon man too soon
Get a very good bike lock, preferably D-lock.
Bike theft in Cambridge is the second highest in UK after Glasgow, apparently.

And helmet! I know a few students who had really serious bike accident. With one of them, it was definitely his helmet that saved him from permanently brain damaged or worse.
Too many students riding around without a helmet, but there's no guarantee it won't be you who gets involved in an accident next. After all those years of very hard work to get into Cambridge, it's silly your life is ruined because of injury (or worse) you could've avoided. (Or make it less serious)

And High-vis things are very good in autumn /winter, on top of bike lights. Make yourself very visible to drivers.
Question
Do post A level applicants with UMS also have to sit the new entrance exams?

edit: ok nevermind the website says all applicants
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Whizbox
Does anyone know where lectures are for first year medicine? Are there any at the West Cambridge site?

I believe some are in New Museum site and I'm pretty sure none are in West Cambridge.
Hello! Anyone doing economics and/or at trinity college?
Ah nice, beat me by 1 mark! 😂
Edexcel can go do one lol

Original post by Zacken
Edexcel Physics lyfe. Would not do again 0/10

320 candidates got an A* in Edexcel Physics., 7% of candidates.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tiny hobbit
320 candidates got an A* in Edexcel Physics., 7% of candidates.

Was it intended to be so small number of people? Wtf lol

Latest

Trending

Trending