The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor IX, 4th August - 2nd September

Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Hello again!
So when do we know if we are summerpooled? Is there a chance of being contacted about summer pool before the 18th?
How do we find out? And when does the summerpool end and start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello!

I've just recently found out that the STEP results of Maths offer-holders are sent to their respectable colleges on 8th August. Would that mean there is a chance of being informed about them earlier than 18th August?
Original post by Insight314
Hello!

I've just recently found out that the STEP results of Maths offer-holders are sent to their respectable colleges on 8th August. Would that mean there is a chance of being informed about them earlier than 18th August?

They already have them 🌝. But we won't get them as were not allowed to know them before the 18th. Christs AT said this on another thread just repeating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Hello again!
So when do we know if we are summerpooled? Is there a chance of being contacted about summer pool before the 18th?
How do we find out? And when does the summerpool end and start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello again too. You should find out on the 18th if you are Summer Pooled. Some colleges may wait until after the Summer pool before contacting you but none will let you know before hand.
Hello again too. You should find out on the 18th if you are Summer Pooled. Some colleges may wait until after the Summer pool before contacting you but none will let you know before hand.

Thank you.
So when does it end?
Does my insurance offer get rejected if Cambridge is pending?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

We got the results last week but there is no chance of you receiving results before the 18th, sorry. They are under embargo.
Thank you.
So when does it end?
Does my insurance offer get rejected if Cambridge is pending?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Summer pool takes place on Friday 19th and we contact students as quickly as possible after that so they don't lose their insurance choice.
The Summer pool takes place on Friday 19th and we contact students as quickly as possible after that so they don't lose their insurance choice.

Oh ok thanks!
So we don't find out if we have been picked by another college on the 18th just the 19th?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In case of an offer miss, how much will extenuating circumstances, background, references, PS and all that, be taken into account in the final decision? I am more curious about the extenuating circumstances. Also, would there be more leniency if the offer-holder has self-studied all their A-levels?

On a side note, if an offer of A* in FM and A in Physics is missed on the Physics bit, would an A/A* in Chemistry be able to substitute this miss (in the final decision after an offer is missed, of course) since the standard A-level requirement for Mathematics is A*A*A?

Edit: I am Maths with Physics. Thank physicsandmathstutor.
(edited 7 years ago)
In case of an offer miss, how much will extenuating circumstances, background, references, PS and all that, be taken into account in the final decision? I am more curious about the extenuating circumstances. Also, would there be more leniency if the offer-holder has self-studied all their A-levels?

On a side note, if an offer of A* in FM and A in Physics is missed on the Physics bit, would an A/A* in Chemistry be able to substitute this miss (in the final decision after an offer is missed, of course) since the standard A-level requirement for Mathematics is A*A*A?

You should write that you are Maths with Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should write that you are Maths with Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edited as appropriately.
Reply 12

Hello! Glad to have you back for a bit.

Given that I live on a bit of a small island, my A-Level results take about an extra day to arrive, that is, I only receive my A-Level UMS on the morning of Friday the 19th; as I understand it, the official guidance is that if I've missed my offer, I'm required to send in my UMS ASAP. However, would not being able to send it till the 19th significantly disadvantage me in the summer pool or in the decision making process? Is this something I should email my college about for guidance?

---

For some added context, most of my modules have already been sat and results sent to Cambridge, just 3 FM modules and 3 Physics modules have their results pending come the 18th. If that helps in your evaluation of how much of a problem it is. (Also, I'm maths - so they have STEP).

Thank you very much.
Has any christs engineer been summer pooled ? Additionally while the candidates who are taken from summer pool are very limited for engineers what are the characteristics of successful applicants who were pooled ? Thank you very much.
Oh ok thanks!
So we don't find out if we have been picked by another college on the 18th just the 19th?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't here from another college on 18th. The Summer Pool opens and closes on 19th and offers can only be made by colleges on that day. Most will contact students immediately as we know there are time pressures. You would certainly here, I expect by Monday if you've been taken.

Edit: I am Maths with Physics. Thank physicsandmathstutor.

We will look closely to see if there are reasons why a candidate might have missed the offer and this would be taken into account. It's best that we know about them before 18th August rather than afterwards. We will also look closely at how close you came to making the offer before deciding on whether to relax the terms or not.
Original post by Zacken
Hello! Glad to have you back for a bit.

Given that I live on a bit of a small island, my A-Level results take about an extra day to arrive, that is, I only receive my A-Level UMS on the morning of Friday the 19th; as I understand it, the official guidance is that if I've missed my offer, I'm required to send in my UMS ASAP. However, would not being able to send it till the 19th significantly disadvantage me in the summer pool or in the decision making process? Is this something I should email my college about for guidance?

---

For some added context, most of my modules have already been sat and results sent to Cambridge, just 3 FM modules and 3 Physics modules have their results pending come the 18th. If that helps in your evaluation of how much of a problem it is. (Also, I'm maths - so they have STEP).

Thank you very much.

Thank you, it's nice to be back! :smile:

As long as you send in the UMS as soon as you have it on the 19th then it would still be possible to get that information into the file. Warn your college about this so they can be prepared if that eventuality occurs.
Thanks for making this thread! :smile:

Provided my results haven't somehow went sideways, I would love to apply for Computer Science. Please forgive me if my questions have been asked before.

I am aware that in previous years for AS UMS in Computer Science you used SUMS, Maths and Maths + Physics averages all calculated separately. Is this still the case for this year? Are there any other averages or statistics included in the spreadsheet you will be looking at?

Also, I took 5 subjects, and in hindsight I realise it would have been better to take 4, but I believe my UMS averages should still be good enough to apply. My subjects were Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Software Systems Development. Does this mean that SSD will be completely discarded as part of the application because of the way the averages I stated above work? (I am assuming Biology would be included in SUMS without SSD).
Original post by Duke Glacia
Has any christs engineer been summer pooled ? Additionally while the candidates who are taken from summer pool are very limited for engineers what are the characteristics of successful applicants who were pooled ? Thank you very much.

No one has been Summer Pooled yet. Those who are successful in Engineering in the Summer Pool will generally have met the standard A Level offer but been set a harder offer by their college.
Original post by TiernanW
Thanks for making this thread! :smile:

Provided my results haven't somehow went sideways, I would love to apply for Computer Science. Please forgive me if my questions have been asked before.

I am aware that in previous years for AS UMS in Computer Science you used SUMS, Maths and Maths + Physics averages all calculated separately. Is this still the case for this year? Are there any other averages or statistics included in the spreadsheet you will be looking at?

Also, I took 5 subjects, and in hindsight I realise it would have been better to take 4, but I believe my UMS averages should still be good enough to apply. My subjects were Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Software Systems Development. Does this mean that SSD will be completely discarded as part of the application because of the way the averages I stated above work? (I am assuming Biology would be included in SUMS without SSD).

Where UMS exists we will have data on it, including averages. For most students though we won't have full SUMS or Maths&Physics averages. SSD was not a part of any Science-based average. SSD wouldn;t form part of your offer in all liklihood.

Latest

Trending

Trending