The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whydoidothis?
If it helps, I made a massive improvement in maths.
My AS grade was a C. I needed at least an A to meet my firm,and I got an A.
So from a C at AS to an A at A2.
I resat all my modules, so u can see the improvement.

OLD:
C1-72/100
C2-73/100
S1-58/100

so 203/300
67% overall

New:
C1-93/100
C2-96/100
S1-98/100

so 287/300
96% overall.

You need to make sure that you follow a revision guide, and make notes on the key things. Unless you don't understand something then just do the questions at the end of each chapter. If you don't understand something, learn about it then do EVERY single question about it in the book, maths revision guides are very repetitive but its worth it.

Don't make too much notes, just key points.
I went over Core 1/2 like this and both took me 6 days (3 hours a day) and I only made 4 sides of notes for both. As i wrote down all the basic rules again like indices etc. Most of the time was spent doing alot of questions.

Then do every single past paper.
MAKE SURE U START DOING ONE PAST PAPER (SO DO THEM AGAIN) EVERY WEEK SO U DON'T FORGET ****. I forgot all of S1 and had to do 9 past papers the day before and mark them/ go through them. Not fun.

Then when its close to ur exams, this is very important and the reason I did not get an A*.

Do all the past papers again, so you are 'sharp'.

I got compleant and for C3 had not done a past paper for 2 weeks, as I had done them all before. I got a C, which made an A* impossible.

I then had 2 days or so to do every single core 4 past paper, and I got 100/100.
full marks on core 4, which for someone who got a C at AS is pretty good.

I did not do past papers before the core 3 exam as i thought i'd remember the questions, it does not matter even if u do u are still practising ur methods.

so my most important tip is make sure u do past papers very very close to ur exams for maths, please do as I diddn't and it cost me an A*.

Got the exact same UMS as you. What did you use to revise S1 and did you resit any other exams for different subejcts. I got a C and want an A. Is it possible for me to resit and get an A grade?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TurtleCub
What did you get at the end of the two years (A2 Grades)?

I got AAA.
Original post by 123apple
wow, congratulations

Did you have to resit your AS maths modules to get the A* in the full A level?

Thanks!

For Maths I didn't resit any of the modules, you need 80% UMS across the entire A-Level and 90% UMS across C3 and C4 to get an A*.

For Physics I took all of the AS exams again along with the A2s just to ensure that I get an A if my A2 exams don't go well. You can't do that anymore for the new spec as AS exams don't contribute to your A-Level grade.
With BBCD at AS, will a prediction of AAA seem realistic to units?
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

In my first year i got ABBD physics maths chemistry and media studies, in my A2 i dropped media studies and got A*A*A* I'm doing a gap year and applying for chemical engineering at a much better uni(I'd applied at Leeds before). I'm still in shock but not happy i feel very relived that its over but tbh I'm not happy. I failed my As because I'd taken things for granted and i was abit arrogant🙃 but i started revising in September every mother****ing day. in April i completely lost interest revising so i just started revising other harder exam boards challenging my self even more, look at the examiners reports and Mark yourself strictly. Just revise everday and you'll see the A*s flowing, keep your head high times are gonna come when you've lost complete interest, i smoked weed during those times wouldn't advise you thou. You'll make it g

Posted from TSR Mobileadyzy
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yellowminion
With BBCD at AS, will a prediction of AAA seem realistic to units?

No, i got CCEE at AS and was predicted AAB but achieved AAA. YOu can get AAA as predicted since you have quite good AS grades (much better than mine were).
Original post by Asdfgh123qwerty
No, i got CCEE at AS and was predicted AAB but achieved AAA. YOu can get AAA as predicted since you have quite good AS grades (much better than mine were).

May I ask what subjects these were in and how you did this ? Congratulations by the way ! This is more than impressive !
Went from BBCC to AAAb, was 2 marks off an A* in Chemistry so need to get that remarked but with the new remark system its unlikely to go up >.<
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
I got ABBC at AS (remarks pulled it to ABBB) but got AAA for A2. so meeting my offer for my chosen course (AAA) seemed like a very long shot. I also only applied for one course at one university because I loved the university's course so much and it was the only one of it's kind in the whole country! No other university course appealed to me whatsoever. It was such a risky gamble trying to meet such a stiff conditional offer when I had to pull up my grades from AS, but it paid off fantastically!!!!!!I also got 90ums or above in the majority of my A level exams I sat (and resat!) overall which was pretty sweet!!!!

Could I ask which course you did at uni?
Original post by sunnyrays07
Could I ask which course you did at uni?

Aviation Technology @ Leeds

How did you get those predictions, i got DDEE and need to be predicted at least BBC but i dont know how its possible to get those predictions. Did you persuade your teacher somehow or do well in a lot of assessments ?
Original post by Razzler12
May I ask what subjects these were in and how you did this ? Congratulations by the way ! This is more than impressive !

Economics, business , maths , physics.
Resat the whole of maths and also units from both C grade subjects.
BBD at AS with A*BC at A2 does this count? Improved 3 grades so I guess
Original post by TurtleCub
How did you get those predictions, i got DDEE and need to be predicted at least BBC but i dont know how its possible to get those predictions. Did you persuade your teacher somehow or do well in a lot of assessments ?

Yes, you will need to individually speak to them, if you are resiting units it will probably mean your predictions can be higher. BBC I believe will not be an issue to get as a prediction if you resit units from each of the subjects.
Yes, you will need to individually speak to them, if you are resiting units it will probably mean your predictions can be higher. BBC I believe will not be an issue to get as a prediction if you resit units from each of the subjects.

With the new linear specs I don't think you can resit so how do I convince them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
BCC at AS
ABC at A2
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
With the new linear specs I don't think you can resit so how do I convince them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, thats quite strange then because at AS i think more people mess up than do well so without resits a lot of people would be in a similar situation. Im not sure how the linear spec works. When you go to re-enrol im sure you will be told about what options you have but honestly if you are willing to work harder (by this i mean start revision right when lessons begin), do all past papers e.t.c. moving up to BBC from DDE is possible if you nail A2 exams (my A2 exams went much better than AS as i was more prepared as i had coverend everything which you will have to if you start revision early). Speak to your teacher and they will tell you your options this could be redoing all exams for the subjects which may sound daunting but it will be worth it.
Hmm, thats quite strange then because at AS i think more people mess up than do well so without resits a lot of people would be in a similar situation. Im not sure how the linear spec works. When you go to re-enrol im sure you will be told about what options you have but honestly if you are willing to work harder (by this i mean start revision right when lessons begin), do all past papers e.t.c. moving up to BBC from DDE is possible if you nail A2 exams (my A2 exams went much better than AS as i was more prepared as i had coverend everything which you will have to if you start revision early). Speak to your teacher and they will tell you your options this could be redoing all exams for the subjects which may sound daunting but it will be worth it.

Well what happens is we all resit AS content next year anyway so this grade that we've gotten doesn't really count towards our overall grade so I think as you said well just convince teachers that I will work harder And hope for the best

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done that's amazing and thank you!

hey. congrats. did u resit your AS? i got BBCC just days ago and im so disspointed. Any advice?

Quick Reply