The Student Room Group

How can I revise?

So in my first year of A levels, I sucked at everything I did, in class I understood everything we were going through, but the problem came to revising and retaining the stuff I've learnt throughout that entire year. The subjects I take are Biology, Chemistry and Maths. If there is anyone who could help me, please, because I've failed everything I've done and I really want to turn everything around. Please help.
Reply 1
Original post by DarthGrizzly
So in my first year of A levels, I sucked at everything I did, in class I understood everything we were going through, but the problem came to revising and retaining the stuff I've learnt throughout that entire year. The subjects I take are Biology, Chemistry and Maths. If there is anyone who could help me, please, because I've failed everything I've done and I really want to turn everything around. Please help.

I'll tell you how i revised this year, i too just finished my AS year. At the start of the year i wrote very brief notes in class and then i would expand on them at home and type them. Every weekend i would go over my notes by reading them and then on a sunday i would pull up the specification and annotate it with everything i could remember. At the end of every half term i would bin and delete all my notes and type them up from memory by just looking at the specification to stimulate my memory. It worked and i ended up with AABC (The C was in maths so that doesn't count and the B is getting remarked 😂). Hope this helps.

So really what you need to do is find a system that works for you, you should not revise during weekdays. So;

Monday - Friday (Note taking)
Saturday (Read and correct any notes)
Sunday (Some sort of revision, for me just annotating the spec and answering a few questions)

And by doing it this way it will build up all your knowledge so your ready for the final exams and remember the sunday revision should include AS revision too (assuming your taking some linear subjects).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BR1999
I'll tell you how i revised this year, i too just finished my AS year. At the start of the year i wrote very brief notes in class and then i would expand on them at home and type them. Every weekend i would go over my notes by reading them amd then on a sunday i would pull up the specification and annotate it with everything i could remember. At the end of every half term i would bin and delete all my notes and type them up from memory by just looking at the specification to stimulate my memory. It worked and i ended up with AABC (The C was in maths so that doesn't count and the B is getting remarked 😂). Hope this helps.

So really what you need to do is find a system that works for you, you should not revise during weekdays. So;

Monday - Friday (Note taking)
Saturday (Read and correct any notes)
Sunday (Some sort of revision, for me just annotating the spec and answering a few questions)

Thanks man, I'll try that out for a few weeks before I go back, hopefully it does work and I can get the grades I really need

Quick Reply

Latest