The Student Room Group

OCR/Exam officer RUINED my Uni offer/Wasted 1 year of my life. HELP?

Hey guys, to sum it up quickly, I was retaking A2, this year and got my offer for my respective courses. By now I had done my a-levels in 3 different places, this being my third place. Anyway I told him and gave him my UCI numbers to confirm he can forward all my wanted grades(which were higher) which included my controlled assessment I had recieved A and C grades in, I didn't want to retake them at the centre as I had told them and paid 60 pounds to carried forward specifically for the modules. Because 1 of the UCI numbers was different he said he would correct it through to OCR and it should be done in time for my next exams.

Fast forward yesterday track has no updates, I check my grades in real on the results sheet paper, 2 stayed the same at C, but my chem which I had a U in 1 unit went to a B and another improved suggesting an increase to at least a B in chemistry. However this showed my overall grades for bio and chem as X, I also did an additional retake which was shwon ont he sheet to unstated or something similar and suggested that I didn't do that exam. To top it off the chemistry and biology coursework was missing, again unstated, he hadn't carried them forward.

Now my unis which were suggested to me before that they'd be lenient haven't replied, and having been calling me for my grades. I missed my insurance by 2 grades but they said if you had received it before they'd have kept a space for me because there was space on the course. I really really wanted to go there but now they are practically full so obv they won't give me the space because I fall short. I can't exit into clearing as well because no grades show up. I got offers from 3 unis on the condition that my grades show up on UCAS track so they can confirm but they only show unstated or X.

So where am I now? I am now ****ed. I can't do anything at all in my position. I went to the exam's officer called OCR and explained and they suggested he send an email to them to amend it. He didn't send my old UCI to merge the grades to be seen as one candidate when I told him, he said take it to that school, like they are gonna say you did this 2 years ago. I have 0 faith in OCR correcting it and now my 3 clearing offers for backup are gone and this will take at least some time to resolve. I am guessing at least a week or 2 when CLEARING is already practically finishing up.

Any advice? I feel like this mother****ing *****y private college exam officer should at least refund me all of my money as well as get my results fixed and even pay for 1 full year at college but he's a snarky devil, I am pakistani and so is he and he plays very dumb and pretends it's all okay, when clearly it's NOT. He says it's not his fault. I only mentioned this because he seems to pretend not to understand what I mean when I clearly keep telling him, he ignores it.

Someone please give me advice, because right now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and will literally end up wasting another year for no gain. Unis can't do anything because the grades don't show up to them in complete form.

I tried to call OCR to clear up all these mishaps and fix my UCI numbers and all my exams but they dont want to deal with me directly and want an exam officer who refuses to help.

TLDR: I couldn't even get into clearing using my grades because unis see unstated/errors for them and it doesn't show. I will be wasting ANOTHER year and this isn't even my fault.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
MrSKhan

Clearly this is a very upsetting situation to be in, but it is important to keep a cool head. You presumably do have all your results slips covering all three places where you have studied?

I think you need to go back to the college and talk to the Exams Officer again, calmly making it clear that he needs to help you sort this out promptly and that you will take it to the principal if you are left high and dry. However, if you are asked to do something yourself - eg contact your previous schools - you will get further faster by doing this with a good grace.

Have you explained to the unis you are talking to what the problem is? Would they be prepared to accept your results slips as evidence for the moment?
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
Clearly this is a very upsetting situation to be in, but it is important to keep a cool head. You presumably do have all your results slips covering all three places where you have studied?

I think you need to go back to the college and talk to the Exams Officer again, calmly making it clear that he needs to help you sort this out promptly and that you will take it to the principal if you are left high and dry. However, if you are asked to do something yourself - eg contact your previous schools - you will get further faster by doing this with a good grace.

Have you explained to the unis you are talking to what the problem is? Would they be prepared to accept your results slips as evidence for the moment?

it says on a lot of the grades Unstated. I have sent 1 uni but they even said it's just not enough for them to be 100%. They can't afford to save spaces. The old schools are closed ATM due to the holidays. I feel like im so deep in this it will take months to resolve even though I got my space. I went to that guy, he has his own exam centre, not a teacher or anything. It's just he does the exam bookings 3 times and we called OCR and he said he can't do nothing more. Contacting the old school wouldn't yield much because the UCI number isn't the only issue it's getting my place yesterday even now it's extremely late.
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva

Also I don't have older results yeah it's stupid but I sent what I had them like 2 years ago. I did get CCD last year, the 2 C remained the same but the D changed to presumably a B, because I dont have the exact results but it's the lowest I could possibly work out. Most unis just say they can't see it and won't accept without substantial proof.
Reply 4
Original post by MrSkhan
it says on a lot of the grades Unstated. I have sent 1 uni but they even said it's just not enough for them to be 100%. They can't afford to save spaces. The old schools are closed ATM due to the holidays. I feel like im so deep in this it will take months to resolve even though I got my space. I went to that guy, he has his own exam centre, not a teacher or anything. It's just he does the exam bookings 3 times and we called OCR and he said he can't do nothing more. Contacting the old school wouldn't yield much because the UCI number isn't the only issue it's getting my place yesterday even now it's extremely late.
I'm not clear what exactly the gap is and what OCR needs to have done so that all the results can be brought together? Is it that they are missing the evidence required to prove the link between the records they have?
Reply 5
Original post by MrSkhan
Also I don't have older results yeah it's stupid but I sent what I had them like 2 years ago. I did get CCD last year, the 2 C remained the same but the D changed to presumably a B, because I dont have the exact results but it's the lowest I could possibly work out. Most unis just say they can't see it and won't accept without substantial proof.
The Exam Boards do keep records because they can issue a Statement of Results to people who have lost their certificates. I think you will have to go back to that school and ask them to help - somebody will be there even though it's the holidays because they will have been dealing with their own students and their results.
Reply 6
Original post by Minerva
The Exam Boards do keep records because they can issue a Statement of Results to people who have lost their certificates. I think you will have to go back to that school and ask them to help - somebody will be there even though it's the holidays because they will have been dealing with their own students and their results.

sorry but bascailly on my results sheet it shows X across my coursework and says not submitted. I can send you a pic if you like? then it always shows X next to biology and chemistry a-levels because of the coursework and 1 because of a lost exam results for chemistry. Unis aren't seeing a grade as nor am I, I only know my grades by working it out. But some modules are missing and therefore I have not got a grade unis can base on offer for. I can contact them tomorrow then but what would they be able to do?
Reply 7
Original post by MrSkhan
sorry but bascailly on my results sheet it shows X across my coursework and says not submitted. I can send you a pic if you like? then it always shows X next to biology and chemistry a-levels because of the coursework and 1 because of a lost exam results for chemistry. Unis aren't seeing a grade as nor am I, I only know my grades by working it out. But some modules are missing and therefore I have not got a grade unis can base on offer for. I can contact them tomorrow then but what would they be able to do?
I appreciate that unis aren't seeing an overall grade because of the missing results on your latest results sheet. If I have understood you correctly, the issue is the UCIs not being linked up properly, and you haven't got all the relevant results slips yourself that would prove that this is the problem.

It really is back to the Exams Officers at your curent college and your previous schools/colleges to sort this out. OCR can't just take your word for it that the UCIs should be linked.
Reply 8
Original post by Minerva
I appreciate that unis aren't seeing an overall grade because of the missing results on your latest results sheet. If I have understood you correctly, the issue is the UCIs not being linked up properly, and you haven't got all the relevant results slips yourself that would prove that this is the problem.

It really is back to the Exams Officers at your curent college and your previous schools/colleges to sort this out. OCR can't just take your word for it that the UCIs should be linked.

My current exams officer said he sent an email to OCR but it will take a least a couple of days so that's the biggest issue. I am in a positon where I am waiting, unsure if it will even be fixed and will lose my uni offer as well as some backup places I called. I guess I got 12 months to fix it now seeing as I won't go uni.
Original post by MrSkhan
My current exams officer said he sent an email to OCR but it will take a least a couple of days so that's the biggest issue. I am in a positon where I am waiting, unsure if it will even be fixed and will lose my uni offer as well as some backup places I called. I guess I got 12 months to fix it now seeing as I won't go uni.

You have until August 31st to meet the conditions of the offer, so don't give up yet.
Reply 10
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You have until August 31st to meet the conditions of the offer, so don't give up yet.

I am trying my best but my grades are below my offers even though one insisted they'd let me in before, I don't know how willing they are now due to filling the lenient spaces so to speak. I'll try my best. Thanks.
Original post by MrSkhan
I am trying my best but my grades are below my offers even though one insisted they'd let me in before, I don't know how willing they are now due to filling the lenient spaces so to speak. I'll try my best. Thanks.

You can only hang on and hope. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending