The Student Room Group

Russell group unis??

Hello guys,

So I had basically made an aim for myself to go into a Russell group uni the course being around my subjects nothing particular. My AS grades have not been solid enough for many Russell grou unis I got ABBBD. Therefore could you please list me the unis that have the lower bound on requirements fore example I know queen mary isn't too high.

Thank you for your help
Reply 1
Original post by umz_rana
Hello guys,

So I had basically made an aim for myself to go into a Russell group uni the course being around my subjects nothing particular. My AS grades have not been solid enough for many Russell grou unis I got ABBBD. Therefore could you please list me the unis that have the lower bound on requirements fore example I know queen mary isn't too high.

Thank you for your help

Depends what course you are looking at, with those grades you'd be looking at a A*AA prediction which most Russel groups would definitely accept
ABBB will get you predicted AAB/AAA which is enough for most of the RGs.
Reply 3
Original post by Samonia
Depends what course you are looking at, with those grades you'd be looking at a A*AA prediction which most Russel groups would definitely accept

Hmm I never thought about that but then the thing is dont you have to get those results is well lol. As in I was thinking of applying to one really good like ucl or king's and then the rest lower because I dont want to risk anything that's why I was wondering which unis are in Russell group but have a lower requirement than others.
Reply 4
Oh ok thank you never knew how it worked lol
100% depends on the course so you should narrow that down somewhat first because most russell groups will defo take you with ABB or AAB for example if thats what your predictions might be (predicted grades are for the most part more significant than AS grades). Also pick a uni thats great for that course specifically as not all say top 10 overall uni's will be amazing for every course. Oh and also don't get bogged down in league tables as they aren't always indicative of much. Dunno if that helped but there's not much info to go on :smile:
There are a lot of top, non-Russell universities as well (UEA, Leicester, Lancaster and Loughborough) to consider but if you just want Russell Liverpool has low entry requirements.

I was originally planning to study physics and I'm pretty sure Liverpool's standard offer for that is ABB when in most Russell universities it's usually A*A*A to AAA. Now I'm applying for psychology and all of my choices at the moment have psychology as AAA-AAB but Liverpool are ABB.

To be honest, it depends a lot on the course you want to study, but I'd consider having a look at Liverpool if you want low entry requirements at a Russell university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You will easily get good predicted grades with those! At AS I got ABCC and at A2 I just achieved AAB and a place at LSE...so you'll definitely get good enough grades for Russell groups
Reply 8
Hmm I never thought about that but then the thing is dont you have to get those results is well lol. As in I was thinking of applying to one really good like ucl or king's and then the rest lower because I dont want to risk anything that's why I was wondering which unis are in Russell group but have a lower requirement than others.

Once you have the offer a lot of places will drop the grades on results day if they are not over subscribed. Russel groups with lower grades are basically any place that isn't Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, Warwick. Then it depends more on the course. Some courses will automatically require A*'s and some more B's
Reply 9
Guys thank you all that really helped, now the thing is that I need a course that involves chemistry and maths, one of them would be chemical engineering but not many unis do it and the ones that do have really high requirements. So are there any you guys are aware of or any alternatives, even something completely different to do with either maths or chem or both which i prefer . And from there I can then look at unis for that particular area and the ones that require lower for that one.

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello guys,

Thank you for your help

Hey! same results I got for AS. I just got A* A B and A* EPQ. i could go to many russel groups however have found a course at a none russel group which I really like. I had to choose between durham and this place and choose the latter. Don`t cancel out none russel group universities.

However it is possible to do it! It just depends on how hard you want to try to achieve it!

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by 1potato2potato
100% depends on the course so you should narrow that down somewhat first because most russell groups will defo take you with ABB or AAB for example if thats what your predictions might be (predicted grades are for the most part more significant than AS grades). Also pick a uni thats great for that course specifically as not all say top 10 overall uni's will be amazing for every course. Oh and also don't get bogged down in league tables as they aren't always indicative of much. Dunno if that helped but there's not much info to go on :smile:

Yes that did help!
I couldn't tag you for some reason, please read my reply I gave more info.
Hello guys,

Thank you for your help

UCL, Warwick, St Andrews are probably the best ones you could apply to with your grades, though it depends on what course it is. You can go to the vast majority of RG unis.
Reply 13
Original post by allofthestars
Hey! same results I got for AS. I just got A* A B and A* EPQ. i could go to many russel groups however have found a course at a none russel group which I really like. I had to choose between durham and this place and choose the latter. Don`t cancel out none russel group universities.

However it is possible to do it! It just depends on how hard you want to try to achieve it!

Good Luck :smile:

So are those your A2 results? really good well done!! How comes everyone gets higher in A2 I know so many that did. What course did you dicide to do is it related to chem or maths if so then I'm interested lol
So are those your A2 results? really good well done!! How comes everyone gets higher in A2 I know so many that did. What course did you dicide to do is it related to chem or maths if so then I'm interested lol

Hey!

So I had a really troubled time throughout year 12. I got 9 A*`s 5 A`s at GCSE and wasnt sure what I wanted to do for a-level but got pushed to do academic hard subjects.
First year I took Art and Design , Maths . Physics and History plus critical thinking. On results day AS I was devastated as Art had been marked wrong from the school and I`d completely under performed the rest. I came back in September and worked my ass off. I had to retake all my art modules ( HELL OF A LOT OF WORK) I was in school at weekends doing art etc. Physics I retook one module ( I asked to do both but the school wouldnt let me) and I made sure I did Maths every night. It`s all down to how much you want it and how far you go.

I went for Music in the end. Its completely what I wanted to do when I started sixth form and I felt pressured to do more academic things. I still wanted to do well for myself though even though the requirements are always lower for Music etc. I have a strong music background plus other requirements needed. I`m a bit nervous saying which uni though on here but its not r+Russel group. But the music department was amazing and the course seemed perfect for my needs. I was gonna study music at Durham but the course just wasn`t right. At the end of the day Uni rep is important but so is the course. If you love the course you will succeed at it!

I`m really disappointed i got a B in Physics as I tried to get an A. Plus my Art and design A2 work which was better than my AS got marked down due to moderation which I think is ridiculous.

Thank you! I was in your shoes last year but if you can take it , you can make it! Just do the best you can for next year and I`m sure everything will work out. :smile:

Also when you fill out your ucas you leave blank the results that are still pending! So the Uni will not know how you have done at AS. So for you itll just say A for the topic you are happy with *blank * blank next to the topics you wish to retake. its the predicted grades that count! Which at ABBB - AAA is achievable or higher depending on your determination! :smile:
Hello guys,

Thank you for your help

I would consider those to be good results and remember your predicted grades and personal statement is more important. All the best.
Reply 17
Original post by allofthestars
Hey!

So I had a really troubled time throughout year 12. I got 9 A*`s 5 A`s at GCSE and wasnt sure what I wanted to do for a-level but got pushed to do academic hard subjects.
First year I took Art and Design , Maths . Physics and History plus critical thinking. On results day AS I was devastated as Art had been marked wrong from the school and I`d completely under performed the rest. I came back in September and worked my ass off. I had to retake all my art modules ( HELL OF A LOT OF WORK) I was in school at weekends doing art etc. Physics I retook one module ( I asked to do both but the school wouldnt let me) and I made sure I did Maths every night. It`s all down to how much you want it and how far you go.

I went for Music in the end. Its completely what I wanted to do when I started sixth form and I felt pressured to do more academic things. I still wanted to do well for myself though even though the requirements are always lower for Music etc. I have a strong music background plus other requirements needed. I`m a bit nervous saying which uni though on here but its not r+Russel group. But the music department was amazing and the course seemed perfect for my needs. I was gonna study music at Durham but the course just wasn`t right. At the end of the day Uni rep is important but so is the course. If you love the course you will succeed at it!

I`m really disappointed i got a B in Physics as I tried to get an A. Plus my Art and design A2 work which was better than my AS got marked down due to moderation which I think is ridiculous.

Thank you! I was in your shoes last year but if you can take it , you can make it! Just do the best you can for next year and I`m sure everything will work out. :smile:

True you can most certainly improve, I'm not upset about my grades tbh I thought they are fine. Thank you for your help
Reply 18
Original post by Raizelcadres
I would consider those to be good results and remember your predicted grades and personal statement is more important. All the best.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest