The Student Room Group

Who is resitting Edexcel Maths C1 next year due to the difficult paper set in May 16'

So for those of you that sat the extremely difficult Edexcel Maths C1 paper in the UK last May to which even made it to the news (I'm sure this still haunts you). Who is resitting? Also what UMS did you get?

Link of news headline: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/05/18/they-must-have-given-us-the-wrong-paper---students-fume-after-be/

Scroll to see replies

Yep definitely. I got 77 in C1 but 92 in C2 and 96 in M1, so clearly it was a bad day/exam for me
I think me retaking will greatly depend on how I find the workload in all my subjects next year, I heard C3 and C4 help to solidify your knowledge in C1 so I'm considering it. My UMS was 88.
Original post by TianaEsther
I think me retaking will greatly depend on how I find the workload in all my subjects next year, I heard C3 and C4 help to solidify your knowledge in C1 so I'm considering it. My UMS was 88.

I think you should resit it. I got 100 this year on the resit after getting 79 in 2015; it is much easier once you've done C3 and C4. The workload won't really be a problem as you can revise like 1 or 2 days before the exam, as it pales in comparison to the A2 units.
Oh c'mon guys.. the C1 paper really wasn't bad.. if you UNDERSTOOD the content thoroughly you would have got 100 UMS
Original post by NotNotBatman
I think you should resit it. I got 100 this year on the resit after getting 79 in 2015; it is much easier once you've done C3 and C4. The workload won't really be a problem as you can revise like 1 or 2 days before the exam, as it pales in comparison to the A2 units.

Wow 100 that's truly amazing, well done! I think I'll definitely consider it
Original post by iMacJack
Oh c'mon guys.. the C1 paper really wasn't bad.. if you UNDERSTOOD the content thoroughly you would have got 100 UMS

Tbh I didn't think it was as horrible as people made it out to be but it just caught me off guard seeing as I thought it would've been my easiest exam :redface:

I understand that you achieved really high marks for C1 (at for the whole AS for that matter) but that doesn't mean you have the right to belittle people and make us feel dumb for not achieving the same marks as you. I picked Maths up as a self-taught student around a full time job after not having studied Maths for 7 years. So obviously my knowledge of the subject would no where near have been on the same par as you. Instead of gloating why don't you give advice and the motivation to do better next time?

Original post by NotNotBatman
Wow, congrats to you! Any study/revision tips for an 'average Joe' like me?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TianaEsther
Tbh I didn't think it was as horrible as people made it out to be but it just caught me off guard seeing as I thought it would've been my easiest exam :redface:

While I agree it got harder, people cannot complain. Do they really expect Edexcel to carry on giving out the same trivial exams? If they did that what would they be giving someone a grade based on, their actual mathematical ability, or their ability to recite a method from an older paper?
Original post by Philip-flop
I understand that you achieved really high marks for C1 (at for the whole AS for that matter) but that doesn't mean you have the right to belittle people and make us feel dumb for not achieving the same marks as you. I picked Maths up as a self-taught student around a full time job after not having studied Maths for 7 years. So obviously my knowledge of the subject would no where near have been on the same par as you. Instead of gloating why don't you give advice and the motivation to do better next time?

I'm not gloating, I am humble with my results - I don't consider myself anything special at all, I just believe that if a student took the time to understand the module rather than be good at past paper questions, then 100 UMS isn't hard to attain, especially in a module like C1! I obviously wouldn't intentionally belittle someone, I am not a malicious person at all, if someone wants help or advice I'm always here and that's the way it should be, we're a community - I just don't think people can be annoyed that the exams got harder
I got an A in the C1 paper and Bs in C2 and S1 strangely.
I think I could work harder in Maths, therefore I will be retaking all three.
I'm not gloating, I am humble with my results - I don't consider myself anything special at all, I just believe that if a student took the time to understand the module rather than be good at past paper questions, then 100 UMS isn't hard to attain, especially in a module like C1! I obviously wouldn't intentionally belittle someone, I am not a malicious person at all, if someone wants help or advice I'm always here and that's the way it should be, we're a community - I just don't think people can be annoyed that the exams got harder

I guess that's definitely what set you apart from the pack! You understood the modules you were learning. What would you consider your most efficient way of understanding/learning a module? Also how many past papers did you do across the year?
Original post by RCLeahcar
I got an A in the C1 paper and Bs in C2 and S1 strangely.
I think I could work harder in Maths, therefore I will be retaking all three.

They are all still fantastic grades! Well done. What other exams will you be sitting alongside your C1, C2 and S1 next year?
I guess that's definitely what set you apart from the pack! You understood the modules you were learning. What would you consider your most efficient way of understanding/learning a module? Also how many past papers did you do across the year?

Understand your modules by questioning things, why is it that you cannot divide a number by 0? Why is it that the quadratic formula and completing the square can both be used to find roots? Things like this help you understand your modules, also watching videos and just taking in information, learning the little tricks (for example, if the discriminant of an equation is a square number, then it can be factorised!), little subtle things like that will set you apart from the rest :smile:

How many papers did I do?? Too many! I did all of the Edexcel papers for all of my modules (apart from D1, I hated that module too much) & for C1/C2 I then went onto the Madasmaths IYGB papers (I think it was those that helped me get 100 in C1 and C2)
They are all still fantastic grades! Well done. What other exams will you be sitting alongside your C1, C2 and S1 next year?

Thank you! I'm a bit of a perfectionist at times though so I always want to do better heh (*^^*)
I'm also taking A2 Computer Science (new spec), A2 Music Tech, and the C3, C4 and M1 modules.
Nah cos i got 95 UMS... it wasn't that hard, you're just bad at mental maths and rely too much on a calculator.
I got 90/100 which was my target, but I think I can push for a bit more. Unless there is no point and I only need to get 180 in C3 and C4.

How do you get an A* at A2 again?
Original post by richpanda
Nah cos i got 95 UMS... it wasn't that hard, you're just bad at mental maths and rely too much on a calculator.

I think it was wrong to put all those fractions in there, there obviously needed to be some but it was very off putting. I did every C1 paper and don't recall it being as bad as 2016.
Understand your modules by questioning things, why is it that you cannot divide a number by 0? Why is it that the quadratic formula and completing the square can both be used to find roots? Things like this help you understand your modules, also watching videos and just taking in information, learning the little tricks (for example, if the discriminant of an equation is a square number, then it can be factorised!), little subtle things like that will set you apart from the rest :smile:

How many papers did I do?? Too many! I did all of the Edexcel papers for all of my modules (apart from D1, I hated that module too much) & for C1/C2 I then went onto the Madasmaths IYGB papers (I think it was those that helped me get 100 in C1 and C2)

Yeah you definitely sound like you took the time to really understand the subject. I just find that the modular textbooks don't really explain 'Why?' to examples. How did you get your answers when questioning why things are done a certain way?

Original post by RCLeahcar
Thank you! I'm a bit of a perfectionist at times though so I always want to do better heh (*^^*)
I'm also taking A2 Computer Science (new spec), A2 Music Tech, and the C3, C4 and M1 modules.

Hopefully the workload will be ok for you to concentrate on your A2's as well as the Math modules you are hoping to resit!
Original post by jamestg
I think it was wrong to put all those fractions in there, there obviously needed to be some but it was very off putting. I did every C1 paper and don't recall it being as bad as 2016.

Do you mean in terms of not being sure of your final answer?

Quick Reply

Latest