The Student Room Group

Gcse mistake?

Ok so I am anxiously waiting for my grades on Thursday. I realised quite a while ago I did something and I don't know if it was wrong.
Ok so whenever I ran out of space to answer and I needed a little more space I would write underneath the last line and above the next question, however sometimes I'd write a bit too much or would have to cross out which meant some of my answer would continue on next to the next question if that makes sense. So like this:

What is an isotope?
------------------------------------
(I would write here if the lines were not enough)
Charge of a proton? (And here)

So basically I would sometimes squeeze in my previous question's answer next to the side of my next question if I had no more space and it would sometimes go just below the next question but not near the line. Lol hopefully that makes sense.
I know I should've asked for more paper but I don't usually ask for more paper unless I have to write a fair bit. Also I wrote everything within the outer lines where you're not meant to write.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DamnDaniel2
Ok so I am anxiously waiting for my grades on Thursday. I realised quite a while ago I did something and I don't know if it was wrong.
Ok so whenever I ran out of space to answer and I needed a little more space I would write underneath the last line and above the next question, however sometimes I'd write a bit too much or would have to cross out which meant some of my answer would continue on next to the next question if that makes sense. So like this:

What is an isotope?

So basically I would sometimes squeeze in my previous question's answer next to the side of my next question if I had no more space and it would sometimes go just below the next question but not near the line. Lol hopefully that makes sense.
I know I should've asked for more paper but I don't usually ask for more paper unless I have to write a fair bit. Also I wrote everything within the outer lines where you're not meant to write.

It's an atom of an element with a different number of neutrons but same number of protons.
You should have asked for additional paper because the examiners usually dont get see anything outside the lines cuz the paper is cropped digitally. So that examiners can mark a bunch of past paper's in one go.
Original post by shohaib712
It's an atom of an element with a different number of neutrons but same number of protons.
You should have asked for additional paper because the examiners usually dont get see anything outside the lines cuz the paper is cropped digitally. So that examiners can mark a bunch of past paper's in one go.

Ahaha I know what it is. So does that mean that bit won't be marked? I heard and saw a video that they request for the paper if they see more has been written but to try and prevent that from happening a lot they try and make you write in the lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Ahaha I know what it is. So does that mean that bit won't be marked? I heard and saw a video that they request for the paper if they see more has been written but to try and prevent that from happening a lot they try and make you write in the lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will definitely be marked. Even if they can't see the content in their electronic copy, they would retrieve the hard copy and then mark the content off that.
Reply 4

What is an isotope?

I did the exact same thing in the majority of my exams. Like Vyres said, it will be definitely marked. They can just mark off your hard copy if they have any problems with the electronic version :smile:

Good luck on results day!
When an exam board recieves your paper they scan in the whole page .
Therefore EVERYTHING written on the page is seen
So as long as it was not written outside the margin (that says do not write outside the margin) and that it was clear which question the answer was associated too (which it would have been if you had started writing on the correct lines and just continued below) then yes it would be marked.
The only reason it would not be is if you did not use a black pen or that they could not read your writing.
Omfg thank you guys so much! I was so worried :s-smilie: aiming for A*s and so I thought that would limit my marks! Thank you all and will be repping all of you guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg I did that too. I totally forgot about it now but I was worrying about it a bit before.
Reply 8
People that write 5 lines on a question who's answer is 1 line piss me off. I don't know why.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Omg I did that too. I totally forgot about it now but I was worrying about it a bit before.

Ahaha yh I forgot about it as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fadel
People that write 5 lines on a question who's answer is 1 line piss me off. I don't know why.

Lol I understand! However, if I cross things out I don't write above the crossings but start writing after the crossings which take a lot of space. Sometimes I write extra just in case two things are so similar that they'd be counted as one mark so I would write an extra thing or two that's different which would get me the remaining marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do that all the time lol, but I sometimes put a zigzag line under the text. Good luck with your grades 👍👍
I always do this lmao if they don't mark them I'll literally fail
Original post by surina16

What grades are you expecting to get?
Original post by TheYearNiner
What grades are you expecting to get?

Hopefully a mix of As and A*s. You? :smile:
Hopefully a mix of As and A*s. You? :smile:

Thats great, i hope to get a few A's and some b's
Original post by TheYearNiner
Thats great, i hope to get a few A's and some b's

same, I think I'll get a mix of As and Bs.
Original post by umz_rana
I do that all the time lol, but I sometimes put a zigzag line under the text. Good luck with your grades 👍👍

Ahaha that's a good idea but I think next time I will write in the additional paper so the examiners aren't fed up by me ahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same :frown: so next time I will try and not do it ahaha but it will be marked :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by romansholiday
same, I think I'll get a mix of As and Bs.

Nice im not alone then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest