The Student Room Group

Why do poor people have children?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by catholicgirl
Not all Catholics are the same.I am quite liberal (and so are other young Catholics nowadays). DON'T PUT US ALL IN ONE BOX.

You mean like you're doing with poor people?
Reply 41
Original post by Pudge666
Why so bitter? Cause you'll never find a boyfriend ?

I'm not bitter actually. Plus I have been happily married for a year and a half now :u::smile:
Reply 42
Original post by TercioOfParma
It's because welfare systems give them money for having children. Also, it is because they want children.

Perhaps.

But it is an economic fact that is seen over and over all over the world and over time, that the richer a country becomes, the lower the birthrate becomes. Several factors at play, the main ones being opportunity cost and needing children to work if you are so poor.

It's a very controversial topic, but I personally think that yes, poor people should under certain circumstances not be allowed to have children. But try telling that to people, many will explode with anger for moral reasons, then there is the pragmatic reason of how to enforce and what's the punishment. But I see it, well we are a rich country we should help others if they run into misfortune. However, if we need to help them because of a choice they make, having kids, then that "should help others" becomes a lot less true in my eyes. In my eyes it's not a human right to have kids. It's nothing special (cue the people saying oh I know person x and y and they tried for years and couldn't get pregnant) and it's your choice. In addition, of course children of poorer parents will have a less equal start in life so for the children, too, it is unfair in a sense. But again, try telling that to people and you will hear many be outraged and say "I am a better parent than any rich ***** and absentee working father could ever be" (and in some cases they will be right).

It's too complicated and controversial.
Reply 43
Original post by frankielogue
Because they want children????? Just because they have a deprived socio-economic status shouldn’t mean they are denied the chance of parenthood. Live n let live

They want.

What about their kids?

They want sounds, and is, rather selfish.
Reply 44
The welfare system needs to change. It was originally put in place to encourage people to have children after the war, but now its just being abused. Moreover, wanting something should not be justification for getting it. I want to travel the world but I don't have the income for it

Perfect point. Kids are not a human right. It's not something the rest of us should pay for someone (you being general here, not you specifically).
Reply 45
Because it's their primary human function.
Bennerfitts.
I don't understand why people who can barely afford to look after themselves will then bring children into the world who will grow up with a low standard of living.

Isn't pro-creation an integral part of Catholicism?

The biological reasoning is that organisms typically have cognitive desires to reproduce and colonise areas, which is evident by all organisms in all kingdoms. It's the main reason why the gland of the penis (head) and the vagina are so sensitive. It makes sex feels good, and hence it encourages people to do it.
It's just genetic fact that the vast majority of people just have desires to have children...
Original post by 99_Problems
But then you have the cost of raising a child negating that so if anyone is trying to make a buck from that then that's pretty sad. Income support is around £60pw and child benefit can be claimed even if you earn £40,000. I think it's more likely that they want children and a family, quite a normal thing to want even if you're poor.

Depends on the level of care the parent is giving the child. A lot of the time the child just has to take care of itself in many homes.
Sorry, putting in another reply.
A lot of you are going on and on about benefits and yeah, some people do take advantage, but have any of you personally been unemployed for a certain period of time? I personally have for a small period of time (1 or 2 months) and found it really depressing and more difficult seeking work than being in one.*
Reply 50
How poor is poor? My family have earned well below the poverty line for years but my needs were met and then some
Original post by inhuman
They want.

What about their kids?

They want sounds, and is, rather selfish.

They want:
- The joy of bringing up a child
- The joy of seeing their child having opportunities they couldn’t
- To have kids for the exact same reasons as rich people

You don’t call rich people selfish for wanting kids, so why poor people? They literally just want to live a decent, fulfilling life.
My parents have always been on the poor side and brought my brother and I into the world, they have done alright to give us what we want/need okay we never had latest luxuries etc. But we always had a roof over our heads clean clothes to wear even if some were hand me downs. Just because someone is poor they're still entitled to have children, doesn't mean they rely on child benefits to provide for them

Posted from TSR Mobile
More kids = more money so that the parents can 'feed' their children
I don't understand why people who can barely afford to look after themselves will then bring children into the world who will grow up with a low standard of living.

The Virgin Mary and St. Joseph were dirt poor.

If only they'd been sensible and said no to God's plan, the world would be a much better place.

SS
I'm not bitter actually. Plus I have been happily married for a year and a half now :u::smile:

What a sympathetic kind catholic girl you are bashing poorer people for wanting to have kids. Would you rather they had an abortion?
There is no organisation more hypocritical than the Catholic Church, and I say this from personal experience with accompanying scars- physical, sexual and emotional. 'Don't do as I do - do as I say' comes to mind.
Perhaps all these large families on benefits could become Catholics, then the Church could feed them. After all, 'Suffer little children to come unto me, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.' An open invite. It would relieve the State of its obligations and the Catholic Church can afford it.
Reply 57
Original post by frankielogue
They want:
- The joy of bringing up a child
- The joy of seeing their child having opportunities they couldn’t
- To have kids for the exact same reasons as rich people

You don’t call rich people selfish for wanting kids, so why poor people? They literally just want to live a decent, fulfilling life.

And others must pay for that?
Lol god damn catholics , that **** is corrupted from the core

As a Catholic and as part of your marriage preparation, you will know that 'openness to life' (I.e Children) is necessary for a Catholic marriage to be valid. (Can. 1055 §1)**

If you're a Catholic, got married in a Catholic wedding ceremony and never want children in your marriage, your marriage is invalid.

I'm only taking umbrage at this because people will look at your name and assume you represent the views of Catholics. You don't.

I'll also state more explicitly that which I mentioned earlier, Jesus Christ was dirt poor and so were His parents. If you sincerely believe that poor people shouldn't have children - Jesus Christ would never have entered the world.

TLDR; Stop chatting sh*t.

SS

** This is a reference to Canon Law (The law that guides marriages, baptisms, for Catholics)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply