The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into Cambridge?

I know there are probably countless threads like this (sorry!) but after getting some surprisingly good results I've began to consider Cambridge as an option.
With AAAA I had initially though that I'd have a fair chance , but I've heard that an average of 95%+ UMS in maths is an absolute minimum? I'm not too far off that, but do most people applying have close to 100?
(Also I hope they're not too concerned about General Studies?)
Thanks

(Applying for Maths)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BurdMan
I know there are probably countless threads like this (sorry!) but after getting some surprisingly good results I've began to consider Cambridge as an option.
With AAAA I had initially though that I'd have a fair chance , but I've heard that an average of 95%+ UMS in maths is an absolute minimum? I'm not too far off that, but do most people applying have close to 100?
(Also I hope they're not too concerned about General Studies?)
Thanks

Retake FP1 and you should be fine. Are you (going to be) doing STEP?
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
Retake FP1 and you should be fine. Are you (going to be) doing STEP?

If one of my offers will require it then yeah :P
So you'd definitely recommend resitting FP1?
Reply 3
Original post by BurdMan

Yeah, how much is it bringing down your average UMS (of subjects you're taking to A2 level) by?
Is this to study maths?
Original post by BurdMan

Personally wouldn't waste my time resitting FP1.
Reply 6
Which course? Maths?
Reply 7
Yes, this is for maths, sorry for not including that in the OP i'll do that now
Reply 8
Don't bother re-sitting FP1. Waste of money and time. I had a very similar set of results to you. 100 in C1 M1 D1 S1 and 92 in C2, 83 in FP1, got an offer for NatSci phys. Your results are good enough, just make sure you do well in interview and brush up your maths before you go in
Reply 9
Original post by jamestg
Yeah, how much is it bringing down your average UMS (of subjects you're taking to A2 level) by?

Excluding FP1 I'd have an average of 97%
Including it my average is just over 94%
Reply 10
Original post by C0balt
Don't bother re-sitting FP1. Waste of money and time. I had a very similar set of results to you. 100 in C1 M1 D1 S1 and 92 in C2, 83 in FP1, got an offer for NatSci phys. Your results are good enough, just make sure you do well in interview and brush up your maths before you go in

When you say "Brush up your maths" do you mean go over the modules I'm studying? Or should I be focusing on more STEP type work?

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by BurdMan
When you say "Brush up your maths" do you mean go over the modules I'm studying? Or should I be focusing on more STEP type work?

Thanks

Well I didn't apply for maths so can't really advise (you should ask maths people, maths is a particular subject) but you really have to convince them in interview that the 81 one was a bad day rather than from a lack of understanding
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BurdMan

i resitted FP1 mainly because it was my first exam and I used it as a kind of warm-up as doing a familiar module I was confident in would help with the initial nerves etc.

So you'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone next May; Higher UMS when you resit (provided to revise for it :tongue:) plus a nice exam to get you going :biggrin:
Reply 13
Well I guess it can't hurt to resit FP1, I'll see how it goes.
Reply 14
Original post by BurdMan
Well I guess it can't hurt to resit FP1, I'll see how it goes.

You won't have time because you will be be finishing your A-levels AND preparing for STEP. Do not underestimate the effort needed to do well at STEP...
Original post by DylanJ42
i resitted FP1 mainly because it was my first exam and I used it as a kind of warm-up as doing a familiar module I was confident in would help with the initial nerves etc.

So you'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone next May; Higher UMS when you resit (provided to revise for it :tongue:) plus a nice exam to get you going :biggrin:

Sup man, haven't seen you around here in a while, you going Uni this year or reapplying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your average looks fine I think, just focus on making sure you understand the content inside out for interviews tests etc, no real need to sit FP1 I don't think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Sup man, haven't seen you around here in a while, you going Uni this year or reapplying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, how have you been? :biggrin: how did alevels and step go?

I thought I was spending too much time on here so i stopped for a few months to focus on my own work, back now though!

not sure what to do yet, i've been thinking a lot about reapplying but to do maths with computer science instead of straight maths, but i honestly dont know. wbu? :smile:
Original post by DylanJ42
hey, how have you been? :biggrin: how did alevels and step go?

I thought I was spending too much time on here so i stopped for a few months to focus on my own work, back now though!

not sure what to do yet, i've been thinking a lot about reapplying but to do maths with computer science instead of straight maths, but i honestly dont know. wbu? :smile:

Ahh fair enough, hit and miss really, going to KCL for maths and got 2,2 A*AD (D in chemistry, missed the A* condition in D2/M2) what unis were you looking at?shoot for Cambz? Or elsewhere?
Original post by drandy76
Ahh fair enough, hit and miss really, going to KCL for maths and got 2,2 A*AD (D in chemistry, missed the A* condition in D2/M2) what unis were you looking at?shoot for Cambz? Or elsewhere?

well you got into uni so you cant ask for much more :biggrin:

i wish when they scanned our test papers to mark them they also uploaded them for us to see privately on their website or something (although I guess they need to make money through people buying physical paper copies to review) because I got <90 in FP3 and S3, both exams I thought went pretty good, but i dont wanna spend money to see them you know

If I gap year Ill defo try for camb yea, I mean I dont have much to lose really. Imperial also looks nice, I like the idea of living in London despite the prices. Haven't read the course structure of other unis yet but have lots bookmarked. Still trying to decide whether to go for a gap year or not first

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending