The Student Room Group

Mathematics help!

Hey all,

Hope you all got the results you were hoping for! As for myself, I got a B grade overall, which I am very pleased with. However, I am a bit confused as to what options this result actually leaves me with. Like most I am hoping to apply to uni next year, after looking at the course requirements (which included maths a level), it left me unsure of my maths result.
Due to this and previous comments and conversations with different people, I can't make sense of the grading of the full qualification.
So my question is, what is the highest grade I could achieve next year assuming I weren't to resit? Could I get an A or would I need to resit? (I'll more than likely resit anyway to try to improve).

Any help anyone can offer will be very much appreciated! :smile:

(Not sure if it matters, but the course is Mathematics GCE).
Original post by TwoThirds
Hey all,

Hope you all got the results you were hoping for! As for myself, I got a B grade overall, which I am very pleased with. However, I am a bit confused as to what options this result actually leaves me with. Like most I am hoping to apply to uni next year, after looking at the course requirements (which included maths a level), it left me unsure of my maths result.
Due to this and previous comments and conversations with different people, I can't make sense of the grading of the full qualification.
So my question is, what is the highest grade I could achieve next year assuming I weren't to resit? Could I get an A or would I need to resit? (I'll more than likely resit anyway to try to improve).

Any help anyone can offer will be very much appreciated! :smile:

(Not sure if it matters, but the course is Mathematics GCE).

I'm confusing what you're asking. If you're not resitting then obviously you will not achieve an A as that is higher than what you've achieved. Best for you to resit and get an A just in case but that really depends on what course you want to do at uni how relevant maths is to it. You might get away with a B if they allow it.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
I'm confusing what you're asking. If you're not resitting then obviously you will not achieve an A as that is higher than what you've achieved. Best for you to resit and get an A just in case but that really depends on what course you want to do at uni how relevant maths is to it. You might get away with a B if they allow it.

I've been told that to get an A at the end of the course I will need an A this year, which is what I've thought for months as it makes the most sense. However, the course requirements for what i want to study at uni gives me two options, which are AAB or A*BB with maths being the A*.

This is what confuses me as I thought the max grade you can get is an A? (Should've been more clear).
I've been told that to get an A at the end of the course I will need an A this year, which is what I've thought for months as it makes the most sense. However, the course requirements for what i want to study at uni gives me two options, which are AAB or A*BB with maths being the A*.

This is what confuses me as I thought the max grade you can get is an A? (Should've been more clear).

Max grade at AS is an A. Max grade at A2 is an A*. Unis looks at your A2 grades. Your AS and A2 modules are combined to give an overall grade based on total UMS across all 6 modules.

If you have just completed AS Maths, then you still have a chance to get an A/A* at A2, but I would suggest resitting the module(s) you did the worst in if you believe you can achieve better. This would increase your chances of attaining A/A* overall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

Max grade at AS is an A. The grades the uni says it requires are the A2 grades it wants you to achieve, in which an A* is possible.
Your maths shouldn't be reformed yet right? (I'm from NI, sorry) So then your AS marks will count towards your final grade.

Don't worry, it's still very much possible for you to get an A in Maths with a B in AS. Likely even, if you got a high B of say 238 UMS, or if you'd maybe like to resit some modules. You could even still get an A* with a B in AS, depending how you do next year if you worked hard. :smile:
Reply 5
Max grade at AS is an A. Max grade at A2 is an A*. Unis looks at your A2 grades. Your AS and A2 modules are combined to give an overall grade based on total UMS across all 6 modules.

If you have just completed AS Maths, then you still have a chance to get an A/A* at A2, but I would suggest resitting the module(s) you did the worst in if you believe you can achieve better. This would increase your chances of attaining A/A* overall.

Ah right that makes more sense haha, thank you! An yeah I'll be resitting at least the one, worth a shot.
Reply 6
Original post by Xsk
Max grade at AS is an A. The grades the uni says it requires are the A2 grades it wants you to achieve, in which an A* is possible.
Your maths shouldn't be reformed yet right? (I'm from NI, sorry) So then your AS marks will count towards your final grade.

Don't worry, it's still very much possible for you to get an A in Maths with a B in AS. Likely even, if you got a high B of say 238 UMS, or if you'd maybe like to resit some modules. You could even still get an A* with a B in AS, depending how you do next year if you worked hard. :smile:

No it's not reformed yet you're right. Thank you for making it clear! But how does getting an A next year work out exactly? Like, what's the requirements for the grade? I'll be happy if I could get an A:smile:
No it's not reformed yet you're right. Thank you for making it clear! But how does getting an A next year work out exactly? Like, what's the requirements for the grade? I'll be happy if I could get an A:smile:

You'll get an A next year if you get 240/300 UMS or more across your 3 modules.

Keep in mind though, to get an A* overall, you need to have an average of over 90 UMS across C3 and C4 while making up at least 480/600 UMS across all 6 modules from AS and A2. Otherwise, you would get an A with simply 480 UMS across all 6 modules.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
You'll get an A next year if you get 240/300 UMS or more across your 3 modules.

Keep in mind though, to get an A* overall, you need to have an average of over 90 UMS across C3 and C4 while making up at least 480/600 UMS across all 6 modules from AS and A2. Otherwise, you would get an A with simply 480 UMS across all 6 modules.

So how does my B this year count towards an A overall? As in how do the AS and A2 grades get combined? An whilst it would be great to get an A*, I don't see it happening, i'd be happy with just an A:smile:
So how does my B this year count towards an A overall? As in how do the AS and A2 grades get combined? An whilst it would be great to get an A*, I don't see it happening, i'd be happy with just an A:smile:

What UMS did you get across your modules this year? Add those up, then subtract that number from 480. The result should indicate how much UMS you would need to achieve in A2 to score an A overall. This is doesn't take into account you retaking of course, so it would be the worst-case scenario.
Reply 10
What UMS did you get across your modules this year? Add those up, then subtract that number from 480. The result should indicate how much UMS you would need to achieve in A2 to score an A overall. This is doesn't take into account you retaking of course, so it would be the worst-case scenario.

I only just about scraped a B this year (214 UMS), but it was down to very stupid mistakes. I am definitely going to resit, but I don't really want to resit two of the modules because there's still C3, C4 and M1 for next year which I haven't learnt yet. If I were to resit one it would be C2 but to get an A I would have to find 26 UMS in it alone which would mean I would have to get 90 UMS for C2. Thanks for your help anyway!:smile:
I only just about scraped a B this year (214 UMS), but it was down to very stupid mistakes. I am definitely going to resit, but I don't really want to resit two of the modules because there's still C3, C4 and M1 for next year which I haven't learnt yet. If I were to resit one it would be C2 but to get an A I would have to find 26 UMS in it alone which would mean I would have to get 90 UMS for C2. Thanks for your help anyway!:smile:

You should retake C1 as well if you got less than 80 UMS. Because if you only retake C2 to get 90 UMS, you would need to get an average of 80 UMS per A2 paper. If you retake C1 as well and get a much better score (which is pretty much guaranteed after you learn C3 and C4), this average would reduce. So I recommend retaking C1 and C2.
Reply 12
You should retake C1 as well if you got less than 80 UMS. Because if you only retake C2 to get 90 UMS, you would need to get an average of 80 UMS per A2 paper. If you retake C1 as well and get a much better score (which is pretty much guaranteed after you learn C3 and C4), this average would reduce. So I recommend retaking C1 and C2.

One thing I'm certain of is that I don't want to resit S1. C1 I had an A in, which makes me not want to resit it but again this is the one I feel like I made the most mistakes in. But C2 I will retake definitely!

Quick Reply

Latest