The Student Room Group

Should i retake? Im so lost

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Honestly your parents are very foolish, then. That's me being polite. They should understand about patience and long term benefits.

Better uni =

Better regarded degree.
More chance of you being happy= less chance of failing or being miserable.
More chance of you doing a course that you want and is useful= more chance of getting a job.

I heard unis may ask for higher grades or something if you retake A-Levels.
How true is this and which unis ask for this do you know?
Original post by ronaldo222
I heard unis may ask for higher grades or something if you retake A-Levels.
How true is this and which unis ask for this do you know?

Its common for unis to ask for one or two higher grades if its a reapply. Fresh apply they may give you the same offer. Check with the uni.
From where you are at better grades will get you into a better uni. You have scope.
Its common for unis to ask for one or two higher grades if its a reapply. Fresh apply they may give you the same offer. Check with the uni.
From where you are at better grades will get you into a better uni. You have scope.

I've been trying to find more information on reapplys, how did you find out that unis ask grades to be higher and which unis were they?
I've been trying to find more information on reapplys, how did you find out that unis ask grades to be higher and which unis were they?

Just ring up the uni/ department you are interested in and ask them on their policy. Its not uncommon for them to ask for slighlt higher for someone who is retaking.
Sometimes the info is on their website.

You should start off with looking ay Heap on University grades to see what the base level offers are.
Original post by naomi288
Thanks and yes, just goes to show that hard work does pay off if you have a goal.

And yes I did take maths but unfortunately, I saw no improvement in my overall maths grade this year as the C3 and C4 exams were solid. Therefore my maths grade remained a B. My advice with maths is just practising lots of questions although when it comes to the exam, a lot of it is on luck. I felt ready to sit my maths exams but when the time came, I just didn't have good exam papers. I ended up achieving a C in C3 and a D in C4 which obviously wasn't enough to boost my grade to an A.

I was tutored by a university student last year (2nd year of my A-Levels, before my resit year). However that obviously didn't really help me so in my 3rd year of A-Levels I studied everything independently. I worked harder without tuition as I had the pressure to complete the revision myself. And thankfully everything worked out well for me in the end.

And yes my sixth form also offered external candidates which some people had done but I wanted to attend the lessons at sixth form.

Just remember resitting your exams is a second lifeline so revise from the beginning. Possibly start your revision now because over the summer holidays, you will most likely to have forgotten a lot of things. Also try to work out what went wrong in your exams last year, possibly purchase your exam scripts. I purchased 6 of my exam scripts last year which helped me work out what areas I needed to work on improving.

I did OCR MEI for maths and the A2 exams I sat were a joke. It really did go down to luck of how good your paper is since some years' papers are great while other years' are really hard- is that even fair? People may argue saying the grade boundaries decide everything but if a paper is really easy then I feel you are more likely to scrape a good grade even if there are high grade boundaries rather than there being a hard paper since then the grade boundaries make no difference as you have failed either way.

Everyone says how great tuition is but I really like studying on my own as weird as that sounds. I might just consider tuition towards exam time (ahh how I wish we had Japanese cram schools).

I am actually grateful of this lifeline :biggrin: I made my timetable this morning and have applied to volunteer at some places already. Now all that is left is to contact my school and tell them my situation and hope for the best! :smile:

How much do the exam scripts cost? Do I contact the board or do I ask via my old sixth form?

Thanks dude! :smile: Advice is much appreciated!! <3

I am slightly confused with what you mean by "fresh apply" and "reapply"?
Are you referring to retaking the a levels or applying to the same university through UCAS?
Original post by Applepiex3
I made my timetable this morning and have applied to volunteer at some places already.

What sort of things are you volunteering for? Could I see your timetable please, when do you plan to start revising, etc.?
Thanks
I am slightly confused with what you mean by "fresh apply" and "reapply"?
Are you referring to retaking the a levels or applying to the same university through UCAS?

If you applied this year, go an offer, but failed, then of uoi reapply they cna sometimes raise the offer by a grade to reflect the advantage you are at by doing a retake.

If you have bever applied there before, then they may just give you the offer they give everyone else. You need to do your research and check.
I did OCR MEI for maths and the A2 exams I sat were a joke. It really did go down to luck of how good your paper is since some years' papers are great while other years' are really hard- is that even fair? People may argue saying the grade boundaries decide everything but if a paper is really easy then I feel you are more likely to scrape a good grade even if there are high grade boundaries rather than there being a hard paper since then the grade boundaries make no difference as you have failed either way.

Everyone says how great tuition is but I really like studying on my own as weird as that sounds. I might just consider tuition towards exam time (ahh how I wish we had Japanese cram schools).

I am actually grateful of this lifeline :biggrin: I made my timetable this morning and have applied to volunteer at some places already. Now all that is left is to contact my school and tell them my situation and hope for the best! :smile:

How much do the exam scripts cost? Do I contact the board or do I ask via my old sixth form?

Thanks dude! :smile: Advice is much appreciated!! <3

I did the OCR maths syllabus and it was just as bad.

And I'm glad you've got firm plans ahead. I hope you get to where you want next year.

And I paid £13 per exam script last year but I think you need to ask your old sixth form to submit a request to the exam board about your scripts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does retaking A2 always mean you have to do it as an external student?
What sort of things are you volunteering for? Could I see your timetable please, when do you plan to start revising, etc.?
Thanks

Yh sure!! I will attach the timetable!
Mine is really simple and repetitive but thats just how i prefer it to be, I might change it in a couple of months time so I don't start getting bored.

I dedicated mornings to maths since I am usually very tired in the afternoons so I prefer something lighter in the evening.
There are two timetables which would be used for alternate weeks. One week I can just study hardcore and then the next week, I can study lightly and volunteer.

I am just going to finish volunteering where I used to last year since I still owe them 100 contract hours haha :biggrin: I am going it at a care home :smile: And after I am finished with that I will finish my hours with the hospital I used to volunteer at.

I am going to start studying from september, hopefully! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
So my alevel results were not what I expected and I dropped from predicted ABB to A*DE
I was hoping to study computer science at a good uni this year but I dont think thats possible now

Should i retake? Or should i keep trying in clearing? I have been made an offer with a uni but Its not where I want to go and its not the exact course i want to do.

And where am I supposed to get ucas help from next year if I want to retake as an external candidate? Pls help I am so lost

Check out DMU and Wolverhampton uni for computer science through clearing
Original post by jayeshforce1

I don't think its possible to retake A2 by retaking the whole year as it was possible last year and in the earlier years. Now you can only retake privately as an external candidate.

Although I think SFX and some colleges take you in but you might have to do two years. Its worth emailing them and asking if they offer one year a level courses?
Original post by lizzyktaa
Check out DMU and Wolverhampton uni for computer science through clearing

They are too far away from London, I was sorta hoping for a closer university :biggrin: Thank you for the suggestion tho! :smile:
Yh sure!! I will attach the timetable!
Mine is really simple and repetitive but thats just how i prefer it to be, I might change it in a couple of months time so I don't start getting bored.

I dedicated mornings to maths since I am usually very tired in the afternoons so I prefer something lighter in the evening.
There are two timetables which would be used for alternate weeks. One week I can just study hardcore and then the next week, I can study lightly and volunteer.

I am just going to finish volunteering where I used to last year since I still owe them 100 contract hours haha :biggrin: I am going it at a care home :smile: And after I am finished with that I will finish my hours with the hospital I used to volunteer at.

I am going to start studying from september, hopefully! :smile:

Thanks
My friend is planning to do work experience/volunteer from now till March ish, then start revising from March to exams.
Not sure what I want to do yet :/
If you applied this year, go an offer, but failed, then of uoi reapply they cna sometimes raise the offer by a grade to reflect the advantage you are at by doing a retake.

If you have bever applied there before, then they may just give you the offer they give everyone else. You need to do your research and check.

Ohh, thank you for explaining that :smile: I was considering whether I should apply to the same unis next year and now I shall keep this in mind!

I guess its hard work time :biggrin:
Thanks
My friend is planning to do work experience/volunteer from now till March ish, then start revising from March to exams.
Not sure what I want to do yet :/

We are in the same retake boat! :biggrin:

I want to start revising early and volunteer at the same time from September since it is possible/ doable rather than volunteer and then study when exams are close. By then I would have forgotten everything (rather than atm I still know a little bit despite summer holidays). It is also because I don't want to take any risks this year, I've learnt my lesson :|

I think another good idea is to just study now until when the kids actually have holidays and then during those term breaks, volunteer; since most care homes and hospitals don't get many older volunteers around that time (most are busy revising). Just a suggestion tho! :smile:
Original post by naomi288
I did the OCR maths syllabus and it was just as bad.

And I'm glad you've got firm plans ahead. I hope you get to where you want next year.

And I paid £13 per exam script last year but I think you need to ask your old sixth form to submit a request to the exam board about your scripts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I researched a little and AQA maths have it so easy with no coursework or comprehensions :| But perhaps i should stick to the same exam board this year :biggrin:

Thank you so much again dude!! I will contact my old school about that :smile:
They are too far away from London, I was sorta hoping for a closer university :biggrin: Thank you for the suggestion tho! :smile:

Oh you want to stay in London, that's fine. Check out Westminster, Kingston, City, Brunel, South Bank

Quick Reply

Latest