The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forum User
I suppose it is just a question of perspective. If one is rated 1700 then a 2000 player seems very strong. 2300 players seem very strong to me, but to 2600 players they must appear to be blundering buffoons.

on lichess you mean??
Original post by john2054
That shows how much you know. a 2000 rated player, on lichess by all means, is not just a strong but a very strong player.

But like i said already, it's only a game. Don't get too hung up on the rating.

Idk about 2000s on lichess being 'very strong'. I know that lichess ratings are definitely higher than the corresponding ratings in real life: the number of 1700s, 1800s and even some 1900s playing chess like absolute beginners there is frightening (and no this is not based of provisional ratings).

2000+ is good, but I still notice that their play is far from accurate and often they have very little understanding of strategy; all some of them do is play moves that don't hang pieces and notice little tactics here and there. Not saying they're bad chess players, but certainly not 'very strong'.

Note that I'm only talking about classical chess here.
(edited 7 years ago)
on lichess you mean??

Yes those numbers were referring to lichess.
Anyone like to play a game? Would like ∞ time control if possible lol.
Open game, unlimited time control: https://lichess.org/W9094QZc
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem with unlimited time controls is there is nothing stopping you from using an engine to work out the best moves. Ratings are subjective anyway, as i have already said.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Anyone like to play a game? Would like ∞ time control if possible lol.

hey u up for one?? I could do one on chess.com if u want.
Original post by EnglishMuon
hey u up for one?? I could do one on chess.com if u want.

Oh you play chess as well, nice! I'm currently playing one right now, but would be cool if we could play sometime. Not straight away though, ∞ time control is pretty tiring lol.
The problem with unlimited time controls is there is nothing stopping you from using an engine to work out the best moves. Ratings are subjective anyway, as i have already said.

But what nob would use an engine in a casual game
Oh you play chess as well, nice! I'm currently playing one right now, but would be cool if we could play sometime. Not straight away though, ∞ time control is pretty tiring lol.

aha yea no problem. and yea i used to do all the competition stuff back in the day, youth british chess championship and stuff, but became a bit awkward when my coaches wanted me to do some in Macedonia/Hungary so not been too active the past couple years. A NM friend of mine is just organising a strong online league again this year, so if you're ever up for something like that feel free to join. let me know wen you want a game :tongue:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Not to mention it would probably be obvious when analyzing the board.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

I think you'd be surprised...
aha yea no problem. and yea i used to do all the competition stuff back in the day, youth british chess championship and stuff, but became a bit awkward when my coaches wanted me to do some in Macedonia/Hungary so not been too active the past couple years. A NM friend of mine is just organising a strong online league again this year, so if you're ever up for something like that feel free to join. let me know wen you want a game :tongue:

You must be pretty good! Yeah I'd like to join any online leagues you've got going.
Haven't actually had the chance to play OTB in about 6 years, so I've been trying to improve by playing online (obvs will join chess society at Warwick though).

I won my recent game with a fellow TSRian though, but too many mistakes I feel:
https://en.lichess.org/W9094QZc#41
I think you'd be surprised...

It would be pretty sad to go out of your way to sit there for like 5 minutes pretending to think about a move and then just dishing out the engine's move...
You must be pretty good! Yeah I'd like to join any online leagues you've got going.
Haven't actually had the chance to play OTB in about 6 years, so I've been trying to improve by playing online (obvs will join chess society at Warwick though).

I won my recent game with a fellow TSRian though, but too many mistakes I feel:
https://en.lichess.org/W9094QZc#41

ah nice! And yea in that case u might want to have a look at this post for more details https://www.chess.com/blog/SL0M/rapid-training-league-2nd-edition . I mean I can be good, but inconsistent :smile: About 1950 fide but yea sometimes I lost easily to 1800s but also got a couple of draws against 2450s.
It would be pretty sad to go out of your way to sit there for like 5 minutes pretending to think about a move and then just dishing out the engine's move...

Some engines take that long to calculate. Also it is possible to play assisted by an engine chess, you know??
Some engines take that long to calculate. Also it is possible to play assisted by an engine chess, you know??

Yeah I know. It'd be pretty annoying to put in a lot of effort only to realise you were beaten by a machine, but I trust the chess players in this thread not to be cheaters :smile:.
ah nice! And yea in that case u might want to have a look at this post for more details https://www.chess.com/blog/SL0M/rapid-training-league-2nd-edition . I mean I can be good, but inconsistent :smile: About 1950 fide but yea sometimes I lost easily to 1800s but also got a couple of draws against 2450s.

Yeah I'm a lot worse than you XD. I'm improving but I don't think I'll be eligible for that league. Will have to play some OTB at Warwick to first actually get a rating and second improve it to a decent standard lol.
Yeah I know. It'd be pretty annoying to put in a lot of effort only to realise you were beaten by a machine, but I trust the chess players in this thread not to be cheaters :smile:.

On my degree for some of the classes, cheating was the norm i'm afraid imho.

Quick Reply

Latest