The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2017 University of Edinburgh hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raffaele1617
Hiya peeps! I'm not quite sure if I belong in here since I'll be starting in 2017, but technically I've already been accepted (taking a gap year, then doing Linguistics and Japanese xD). Regardless, I'm American, so if any Americans are in here and have any questions about stuff (entry reqs, SATs, etc.), feel free to say hi or shoot me a message! :biggrin:

I saw the word 'linguistics' and I'm in love with ya already! It's awesome that you've already been accepted, and I have a billion questions. Firstly, what made you choose Edin and where else did you apply? What kinds of things did you talk about on your personal statement? What books have you read? How much knowledge of linguistics do you already have, like have you been taught about it prior? Japanese is such an amazing language I'd love to pick up bits and pieces but I just cannot get my head around kanji (that's the traditional """alphabet""" right?)! Sorry for all these!!!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Hey everyone. Nice to see an applicant thread up :smile: My careers teacher is advising me against Edindurgh, says it's too difficult lmao, but I'll see where I get with it :biggrin:

GCSE Grades: 7 A*s, 2 As
AS Grades: AAAA
Predicted A Level Grades: A*A*A*A (based off UMS... will update when I get 'em)
A-level Choices: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Biology, Physics
Course: Maths
Extra Curricular: (Maths)
Other Universities Applying To: Not entirely sure yet aha
Reply 22
Original post by Xsk
Hey everyone. Nice to see an applicant thread up :smile: My careers teacher is advising me against Edindurgh, says it's too difficult lmao, but I'll see where I get with it :biggrin:

Mate, those predicted grades are amazing. Dunno why your teacher is putting you off it, you'll easily get in!
Reply 23
Original post by joemfm
Mate, those predicted grades are amazing. Dunno why your teacher is putting you off it, you'll easily get in!

Lmao, thanks. Certainly boosts my confidence :tongue: Not sure if she knows just how well I've done in my AS results, so she may encourage me more when I come back to school
Does this include the College of Art hopefuls? Because I'm one of them!

GCSE Grades: 5 A*s, 4 As 1 B
AS Grades: AABC
Predicted A Level Grades: Don't have any official ones yet, realistically I'm thinking A*AA
A-level Choices: Graphic Design, Photography, Geography (English Language AS)
Course: Graphic Design
Extra Curricular: I'm a member of our Student Union at college, part of the 'Media Academy' design department, done some work experience at a local print company - hoping to do some more this year.
Other Universities Applying To: Falmouth, Cardiff Metropolitan, maybe UWE and Leeds.

I absolutely fell in love with Edinburgh as a city when I visited on the open day and the arts campus is gorgeous. It's so competitive though, I don't know how I have a change of getting in!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by leafscatter
Does this include the College of Art hopefuls? Because I'm one of them!

GCSE Grades: 5 A*s, 4 As 1 B
AS Grades: ABBC (getting them remarked because I've been working at an AAAB all year!)
Predicted A Level Grades: Don't have any official ones yet, realistically I'm thinking A*AA
A-level Choices: Graphic Design, Photography, Geography (English Language AS)
Course: Graphic Design
Extra Curricular: I'm a member of our Student Union at college, part of the 'Media Academy' design department, done some work experience at a local print company - hoping to do some more this year.
Other Universities Applying To: Falmouth, Cardiff Metropolitan, maybe UWE and Leeds.

I absolutely fell in love with Edinburgh as a city when I visited on the open day and the arts campus is gorgeous. It's so competitive though, I don't know how I have a change of getting in!

Hi!
Im looking to do the same course and am just wondering what you are doing for your portfolio?
Also I am yet to look around Edinburgh, how does it compare to other unis and anything you could tell me about it?
thank you
:smile:
Original post by luvlieliza
Hi!
Im looking to do the same course and am just wondering what you are doing for your portfolio?
Also I am yet to look around Edinburgh, how does it compare to other unis and anything you could tell me about it?
thank you
:smile:

Honestly im not quite sure about my porfolio yet. Edinburgh only judge on a mini portfolio (5 final pieces, 5 development work, 5 inspiration) if i remember correctly. Im hoping to put in my work from my personal project that im doing this term, and also some of the work ive done outside of college work. What about you?

Well for me the thing that singles it out is the year size - they accept no more than 30 per year sort of thing - which i think is really great. The studio is on the 4th floor and its really bright with a view of the castle. From the work i saw they are a little bit more leaning towards traditional techniques rather than digital work, but still oppurtunity for both. I got the feeling that they cared about you wanting to go there more than at other open days ive been to.

Sorry this is so long, hope it helps
Original post by leafscatter
Honestly im not quite sure about my porfolio yet. Edinburgh only judge on a mini portfolio (5 final pieces, 5 development work, 5 inspiration) if i remember correctly. Im hoping to put in my work from my personal project that im doing this term, and also some of the work ive done outside of college work. What about you?

Well for me the thing that singles it out is the year size - they accept no more than 30 per year sort of thing - which i think is really great. The studio is on the 4th floor and its really bright with a view of the castle. From the work i saw they are a little bit more leaning towards traditional techniques rather than digital work, but still oppurtunity for both. I got the feeling that they cared about you wanting to go there more than at other open days ive been to.

Sorry this is so long, hope it helps

No problem that really helps thanks! I am thinking the same and am pleased its only a small portfolio :smile:
Sounds like a lovely location too! Thanks for the help
GCSE Grades: 10A* 3A
AS Grades: AAABBC
A-level Choices: Biology, Maths, and Chemistry at AAB (SO close to the A in chemistry so I'm getting a remark)
Course: Biological sciences
Extra Curricular: Hospital shadowing, 2 years of working in a charity shop, shadowing a barrister, some writing.
I'm also beginning a gap year so I'm going to get a full time job and start up yoga.
Other Universities Applying To: I'm not certain yet but I'm considering Exeter, St. Andrews, York, Sheffield, Warwick, and Leeds.
GCSE Grades - 2 A*s 6 A's, 1 B and 1 D (D in Latin, never liked it 😖)
AS Grades - 4 A's
A-Level Choices - RS, Classics, and Psychology
Predicted A-Level Grades - 2 A*s and 1 A
Course - Philosophy and Theology
Extra Curricular - Just reading around the subjects, attended some lectures relating to them, watching documentaries/ lectures online. (Also volunteered at a charity shop for a year, Bronze DofE and spent a week at a Law Firm in London but those aren't directly related)
Other Universities I'm applying to - Cambridge (Jesus College for Theology, Religion and Philosophy of Relgion), Exeter (Philosophy and Theology) and King's College London (Religion, Philosophy and Ethics)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Xsk

You are definitely a very competitive applicant for Edinburgh! May even be worth applying for second year entry!
GCSEs - 9As
A levels 3As English Lit, Latin and Greek.

Currently studying for Advanced higher Maths and mechanics and A level physics.

Course maths. Attempting to enter at level 2.

Extra curricular, I'll be a mature student. Sitting Step. Whatever other maths I can manage.
Reply 32
Original post by DonAchille
You are definitely a very competitive applicant for Edinburgh! May even be worth applying for second year entry!

I probably will apply for 2nd year entry aha - the less debt accrued the better :tongue: 4 years rather than 5 suits my budget better too...
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*AABBB
AS Grades: ABB (certain extenuating circumstances hindered my performance this year)
A-level Choices: Physics, maths, chemistry and EPQ
Course: Theoretical Physics
Extra Curricular: Cambridge University Undergraduate shadowing scheme, Loughborough University science residential, Nuffield Research project, physics and maths tutor to younger students, army cadets, DofE Gold, Holocaust Educational Trust ambassador, head boy, physics club haha
Other Universities Applying To: I'm thinking of Durham, King's College, Southampton and Warwick.
My case is a bit weird, since I didn't actually want to go to university until this year! I was going to join the army as an officer after A levels, but decided I wanted to get a degree first, and thought Edinburgh would be an awesome choice! :smile::biggrin:
Original post by TomMiller28

My case is a bit weird, since I didn't actually want to go to university until this year! I was going to join the army as an officer after A levels, but decided I wanted to get a degree first, and thought Edinburgh would be an awesome choice! :smile::biggrin:

http://armyofficers.tumblr.com/gyc - This might be good
Original post by DarkEnergy

Oh my this sounds absolutely perfect, thank you!
Reply 36
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*AAAAABB with a Btec merit in PE
Predicted AS grades: A(only done one AS due to Linear A levels for physics and chemistry)
Actual AS grades: A (Product design)
Predicted A Level grades: A*AA (Product design, chemistry and physics respectively)
Course : BA Product Design
Extra curricular: Scholarship in product design, completed a physics/design Nuffield research placement at Liverpool university, competed in annual physics olympics at Liverpool university, experience in a teaching assistant role in a GCSE graphics class, represent product design department in annual college open evening and work experience in an educational chemistry museum
Other universities applying to: Loughborough, Huddersfield, maybe Cambridge and Leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE Grades: 2 A*s, 8 As, 2 Bs
AS Grades: AAD (fml about the D but it is a linear A-level so hopefully I can get a B prediction)
Predicted A Level Grades: Idk but I'm hoping for AAB
A-level Choices: Psychology, maths and physics (the D subject)
Course: BSc Psychology
Extra Curricular: Wider reading around psychological theories and research.
Other Universities Applying To: I'm still undecided on my final 5 because it depends on my predicted grades but I'm considering Glasgow/Strathclyde/St Andrews, Loughborough, Bangor, Surrey, Bath, Lincoln, East Anglia.
Higher: AAB (hopefully getting the B remarked to an A as only one mark off)
Predicted S6 Results: AB (Highers) AA (Advanced Highers)
Course: Biological Sciences
Other Unis applying to: Stirling, Aberdeen, Napier and Dundee
PS. I'm aware of how little chance I have of getting an offer however I'm applying anyway 😌
Highers- AABB :smile:
I'm doing 2 advanced highers, an extra higher and nat 5 maths this year. And a B at advanced higher overrides the higher and is equivalent to an A at higher so I'm doing advanced higher in the classes I got B's in. :smile:
Courses interested in are international relations or business.
I wish they had a politics and business course because that would have been ideal.
Extra curricular- mock court trial, shadowing an MSP, outside of school reading, YPI, member of the SNP, subscribe to newspapers, volunteering for charity.
Good luck to everyone though, I really hope I'll be seeing you next year! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest