The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In my ideal world there would be no religion at all... so... no.
Reply 41
Original post by Wōden
Oh, please do give us some examples of these "white supremacist" bellringing songs. :teehee:

I think they're just talking out of their ass in a poor devil's advocate attempt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by catgirlcatgirl
I completely sympathise with your petition. I believe that all religions should be treated equally- why should the Christian call to prayer be allowed (ie. bell ringing) when the Muslim version is not. I just wish the UK could become even more excepting of diversity.

Lets point out the slight difference, the bells in Christian churches toll on a Sunday morning, and some churches have them attached to a clock so they chime the time, but most only ring on a Sunday morning. On the other hand a muslim 'call to prayer' would go off 3 times a day every day, this is just not fair on the non-muslim people who have to put up with it. And really your point about diversity? As someone has already pointed out, muslim countries kill people just for being Christian, imagine if the Christians said they wanted bell tolling on a Sunday morning, the government would have them systematically slaughtered. We are, in my opinion already diverse enough, and if we continue to gain people from hundreds of different backgrounds, we will face losing the history and core values of the country.
Over my dead body. Would rather leave this country if anything like this happens
Reply 44
I appreciate that there's the suggestion this would be done in certain areas, at times that weren't anti-social and not necessarily loudly - but as some have pointed out here, there is far from a general right to go around amplifying noise and nor should there be.

From what I understand some Mosques in Britain do broadcast the adhan through a loudspeaker. If this is fine with the local authority and not violating any laws, I'm largely OK with it. It's really a matter for the local community.

On the point about religion and so on, Islam dates back to the 6th century. Loudspeakers, at the earliest, could've only been used in Mosques since the middle of the 20th century. I'm sure they'll get by. Even some Islamic countries are taking measures to reduce the level of nuisance caused by this.

Original post by Wōden
Why? What exactly is wrong with traditional British culture? Why should we feel obliged to dilute our own identity by accommodating cultures that have absolutely no ancestral connection to these lands and have nothing in common with us?

Because this isn't a cultural issue, it's a legal issue - and we have a right to equality of treatment before the law regardless of our religion or culture.

I completely sympathise with your petition. I believe that all religions should be treated equally- why should the Christian call to prayer be allowed (ie. bell ringing) when the Muslim version is not. I just wish the UK could become even more excepting of diversity.

I hardly think bell-ringing is the same as an amplified announcement. Were a vicar to start shouting through a loudhailer that his service was starting, I think we'd take a very dim view of it.

Not to mention, bell-ringing that presents a nuisance is actionable in the courts. There's not some sort of general legal exemption, which is what this petition seems to be calling for.

Original post by the bear
you wouldn't expect Saudi Arabia to allow bell ringing on Sunday for Christians....

Luckily we do not base our legal system on the practice in Saudi Arabia, so I'm not really sure what value this comparison has.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by AperfectBalance
Over my dead body. Would rather leave this country if anything like this happens

I think it does in a few areas and has been happening for a great many years.

When will you be booking your flight out?
Original post by L i b
I think it does in a few areas and has been happening for a great many years.

When will you be booking your flight out?

Doing it and the government agreeing it is ok are different things.
Original post by BobSausage
Lets point out the slight difference, the bells in Christian churches toll on a Sunday morning, and some churches have them attached to a clock so they chime the time, but most only ring on a Sunday morning. On the other hand a muslim 'call to prayer' would go off 3 times a day every day, this is just not fair on the non-muslim people who have to put up with it. And really your point about diversity? As someone has already pointed out, muslim countries kill people just for being Christian, imagine if the Christians said they wanted bell tolling on a Sunday morning, the government would have them systematically slaughtered. We are, in my opinion already diverse enough, and if we continue to gain people from hundreds of different backgrounds, we will face losing the history and core values of the country.

Actually you are wrong the mechanics in the bells makes them ring for long periods several times a day.
Inaddition just because someone does a bad thing does not give you the write to treat other people badly. Most people learn that at primary school
Original post by BaconandSauce
No such thing as a 'bell ringing song' for church bells

They do peals and method ringing (mathematical based)

yes, they are written in the way you say but their tunes are folk songs witch have lyrics that go along with them.
yes, they are written in the way you say but their tunes are folk songs witch have lyrics that go along with them.

name them

Well the christian stuff isn't 3 times a day for a start...

Maybe look at history.
You also fail to take into account the large portion of the popilation that are secular and dont wish to hear either.
Actually you are wrong the mechanics in the bells makes them ring for long periods several times a day.

again this is wrong
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Well the christian stuff isn't 3 times a day for a start...

actually it is
Original post by BaconandSauce
actually it is

3 options:
A) No
B) The churches in my area are slacking so hard
C) Those bells are so ****in quiet good lawd
Original post by Retired_Messiah
3 options:
A) No
B) The churches in my area are slacking so hard
C) Those bells are so ****in quiet good lawd

prob 2 and 3

there are 3 times the bells should ring (but note I shy should not HAVE to)

In Christianity, many Anglican, Catholic, and Lutheran churches ring their church bells from belltowers three times a day, at 6:00 A.M., 12:00 noon and 6:00 P.M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_bell#Call_to_Prayer
I don't think calls for prayer (loud) should be allowed for any religion - all it does is annoy other religions and make competition which can spiral easily out of control.

I believe in solidarity, and equality and everything, but I don't think it is necessary. If you want to go to the mosqu, church, temple, synagogue, or any place of worship, you should just remind yourself to go. There is no need for evangeliism, because if you look at history, forcing people to convert beliefs has only ended in tragedy. All religions are pretty much the same, so everyone should be allowed to do their own thing, but of course be aware that we live in a multicultural environment.
Original post by KingBradly
Because bell ringing doesn't feel like it dominates. The sound of calls to prayer are very dominating. The shahada asserts that there is only one God; their own. Do you think Hindus will be happy hearing this being blasted out?

This roughly translates to "I hate Islam so I am uncomfortable with this proposal"
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/132191

Are you trolling? Yes Britian is proud to be a multicultural country, but at the end of the day it's not a religious country. Our monarchy is Christian. If you want your loud call prayers and your sharia lifestyle go move to Saudia Arabia.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alevelstresss
This roughly translates to "I hate Islam so I am uncomfortable with this proposal"

No it doesn't. Stop looking for hate where hate doesn't exist

Latest