The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Almost 25,000 signatures. Oh Britain. :no:
Original post by Pinkberry_y
No it doesn't. Stop looking for hate where hate doesn't exist

A quick glance of this guys posting history, alongside the fact that he made some BS crybaby excuse about how its 'dominating' and you will rapidly be proven wrong.
Original post by catgirlcatgirl
Why???

This is not a Muslim country. No one is saying you can't pray 5 times a day, you're more than welcome to do that, but why should the majority of this country who aren't Muslim have to hear the call out prayers every single day?

Original post by McDonough
As much as it pains me to say, a move like this might continue to fuel the already growing far right in this country. Thinking about it pragmatically, it's not a good time to introduce something like this sadly.

Exactly.
Are you trolling? Yes Britian is proud to be a multicultural country, but at the end of the day it's a Christian country. Our monarchy is Christian. If you want your loud call prayers and your sharia lifestyle go move to Saudia Arabia.

We are certainly not a Christian country, nor does and should Christianity govern any aspects of our life - the same applies for all religions.
Original post by Sabertooth
Almost 25,000 signatures. Oh Britain. :no:

It's still no where near majority. Over 50 million people live in this country.
Original post by alevelstresss
We are certainly not a Christian country, nor does and should Christianity govern any aspects of our life - the same applies for all religions.

And we certainly aren't a Muslim country either to be having call out prayers 5 times a day here
It's still no where near majority. Over 50 million people live in this country.

Well obviously. But I'd still regard it as scary that so many people believe this is a good idea.

Though, like other petitions of this type, could just be a bunch of unwashed lefties signing multiple times. :rolleyes:
And we certainly aren't a Muslim country either to be having call out prayers 5 times a day here

Strangely I agree that we shouldn't have Islamic prayer calls, simply because I've been to Muslim countries and they are a bit noisy, that in a large residential area full of people of all kinds of religions would be unfairly popular of Islam and negligent of other peoples' needs.

But the justification many people are giving here is inherently Islamophobic and bigoted, making up some nonsense about how its 'dominating'.
Are you trolling? Yes Britian is proud to be a multicultural country, but at the end of the day it's a Christian country. Our monarchy is Christian. If you want your loud call prayers and your sharia lifestyle go move to Saudia Arabia.
We are a secular country.
If it was up to me, given recent events and the callous actions of people who call themselves Muslims. I would shut down all mosques and ban the Islamic "faith" in the UK. And may I add we are all untitled to our own opinions.
Original post by KingBradly
Because bell ringing doesn't feel like it dominates. The sound of calls to prayer are very dominating. The shahada asserts that there is only one God; their own. Do you think Hindus will be happy hearing this being blasted out?

It's not that much dominating, as the guy says "I" in the shehada, i.e. he says he witnesses that there is no god but Allah, however, it would take away the secular, or even Christian, origin and feel of this country. I enjoy walking around looking at pretty churches, and thinking about the history of this place, hearing the Adhan would disrupt that. It's not an argument, but if this country keeps losing its identity elements and "feel", the locals wont be happy about it and noone would benefit.

It would have the same effect of the numerous ethnic shops in places like Norbury, which don't feel that British anymore.

Not to mention the fact that not alot of Muslims are asking for it, it's probably just some butthurt Women's studies student trying to improve "diversiteh".

More wisdom here from Aliberalstresss. Asinine to its core.
This roughly translates to "I hate Islam so I am uncomfortable with this proposal"

It doesn't, but I do hate Islam and that makes me especially uncomfortable with this proposal.
Hahahaha yeah no I'd rather swim in the Ganges with an infected nipple than sign.
Original post by oShahpo
It's not that much dominating, as the guy says "I" in the shehada, i.e. he says he witnesses that there is no god but Allah, however, it would take away the secular, or even Christian, origin and feel of this country. I enjoy walking around looking at pretty churches, and thinking about the history of this place, hearing the Adhan would disrupt that. It's not an argument, but if this country keeps losing its identity elements and "feel", the locals wont be happy about it and noone would benefit.

It would have the same effect of the numerous ethnic shops in places like Norbury, which don't feel that British anymore.

Not to mention the fact that not alot of Muslims are asking for it, it's probably just some butthurt Women's studies student trying to improve "diversiteh".

Have you been to Muslim countries? I have, and I have to say, it is very very dominating, and I'm not talking about the lyrics, I just mean the sound of it.
Original post by catgirlcatgirl
I completely sympathise with your petition. I believe that all religions should be treated equally- why should the Christian call to prayer be allowed (ie. bell ringing) when the Muslim version is not. I just wish the UK could become even more excepting of diversity.

Who said that the call to prayer is not allowed?
This isn't a Muslim country and I can guarantee you that everyone who signed this ridiculous petition, is either a Muslim or a liberal extremist determined to undermine western culture.
Original post by KingBradly
Have you been to Muslim countries? I have, and I have to say, it is very very dominating, and I'm not talking about the lyrics, I just mean the sound of it.

Oh F*** yea, I used to live above a mosque and they had an especially shi*** guy who did it, man did bother me, even my family who were real Muslims hated the guy and his adhan. What I meant was that it's not dominating in the sense of the content of the Adhan, it doesn't say "There is no god but Allah", rather "I witness that there is no god but Allah".
Original post by Harold Godwinson
If it was up to me, given recent events and the callous actions of people who call themselves Muslims. I would shut down all mosques and ban the Islamic "faith" in the UK. And may I add we are all untitled to our own opinions.

Remember: you're not allowed to hate Islam for being a misogynistic, homophobic, antisemitic religion that considers a war-mongering child-molester as the perfect man, as this is considered intolerant. However, it is OK to sing praise for that highly intolerant religion from megaphones.
Reply 79
Original post by Harold Godwinson

Might as well go full Stalin and ban all religion. Unless you ain't got balls like him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending