The Student Room Group

First driving test in 2 days

So as the title says, dont really know what im looking for with the post but...

I know i drive pretty well and i know i have the potential to pass but like with many others my nerves are whats going to get me and theres absolutely no advice can be given to someone who is nervous theres no magical words thats going to make me see light and realise its only a driving test and not the end of the world. Im an over thinker! Im sure my instructor thinks im better than i actually am and i think i could have done with a few more lessons (reason ive just listened and booked anyway is because a lot of people thats seen me drive pretty much say the same and i know im my own worst enemy surely 4-5 people saying im good enough is better than the 1 voice in my head saying im not) i had a bad lesson yesterday done silly little things that would have been fails and it knocked me a little but todays lesson i dont know its strange i drove perfect and passed my mock test but it has me maybe just as much if not more nervous, what of it was a 1 off and it was wasted on a mock test. See over thinking again, being the enemy and all.

Anyone else have a test soon and can sympathise? Please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've got my first (and hopefully last!) driving test next week too. I know that I can drive well (without wanting to sound arrogant at all!), so I'm just hoping that nothing unexpected happens, or that I don't make some silly mistake like forgetting a shoulder check which causes me to fail.

The thing to remember is that it's not the end of the world if you don't pass first time, you can have as many goes as you need to pass. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi :smile: im so pleased ive found someone else close to their test. I think admitting that your a good driver makes you think itll make you look worse if you do fail (well for me anyway)

Thats the thing isnt it its knowing that its those tiny things that people who have been driving years probably never do anymore thats going to screw it all up. It irritates me when people are telling me to stop being silly because of course im going to pass i can drive, from what ive learnt knowing how to drive and knowing how to pass your test feel like 2 very different things!

Thank you :smile: i hope your test goes well! How you feeling about it?
Original post by Littleduck91
Hi :smile: im so pleased ive found someone else close to their test. I think admitting that your a good driver makes you think itll make you look worse if you do fail (well for me anyway)

Thats the thing isnt it its knowing that its those tiny things that people who have been driving years probably never do anymore thats going to screw it all up. It irritates me when people are telling me to stop being silly because of course im going to pass i can drive, from what ive learnt knowing how to drive and knowing how to pass your test feel like 2 very different things!

Thank you :smile: i hope your test goes well! How you feeling about it?

Yeah that's true I think! My instructor told me I have a 95% chance of passing first time, so now I'll probably feel even worse if I don't (even though I know it's nothing to be ashamed of).

I'm feeling somewhat confident for it, again it's just those easily forgotten/messed up things like shoulder checks, remembering to signal, timing mirror checks and signals right etc which might make me fail. I just hope I don't get asked to do a bay park honestly, because I'm hopeless at those :lol:

Thank you! How are you feeling for yours? :smile:
So as the title says, dont really know what im looking for with the post but...

I know i drive pretty well and i know i have the potential to pass but like with many others my nerves are whats going to get me and theres absolutely no advice can be given to someone who is nervous theres no magical words thats going to make me see light and realise its only a driving test and not the end of the world. Im an over thinker! Im sure my instructor thinks im better than i actually am and i think i could have done with a few more lessons (reason ive just listened and booked anyway is because a lot of people thats seen me drive pretty much say the same and i know im my own worst enemy surely 4-5 people saying im good enough is better than the 1 voice in my head saying im not) i had a bad lesson yesterday done silly little things that would have been fails and it knocked me a little but todays lesson i dont know its strange i drove perfect and passed my mock test but it has me maybe just as much if not more nervous, what of it was a 1 off and it was wasted on a mock test. See over thinking again, being the enemy and all.

Anyone else have a test soon and can sympathise? Please :smile:

Mine was meant to be in a weeks time but I've postponed it to December :frown: since I got back from uni my old driving Instuctor who was amazing was fully booked so I had to find another one who was a complete bi**h and completely put me off driving to the point I cried my eyes out in her lesson. My confidence since then has been completely knocked and I tried to drive with my mum today and couldn't reverse park to save my life even though I could do it fine with my old instructor and again I ended up crying in the car. Basically driving has just become a complete stress inducing thing and I'm doubting whatever I do when I drive now because of the horrid woman, her driving instructor license should be taken away from her as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry OP I know I'm not helping much but if you believe you're ready for the test don't let anyone else tell you otherwise because what I found out was driving is 50% about confidence. The new woman driving Instuctor I had completely knocked my confidence and so my driving now is abysmal and my mum knocked it even more when I drove with her
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Mine was meant to be in a weeks time but I've postponed it to December :frown: since I got back from uni my old driving Instuctor who was amazing was fully booked so I had to find another one who was a complete bi**h and completely put me off driving to the point I cried my eyes out in her lesson. My confidence since then has been completely knocked and I tried to drive with my mum today and couldn't reverse park to save my life even though I could do it fine with my old instructor and again I ended up crying in the car. Basically driving has just become a complete stress inducing thing and I'm doubting whatever I do when I drive now because of the horrid woman, her driving instructor license should be taken away from her as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry OP I know I'm not helping much but if you believe you're ready for the test don't let anyone else tell you otherwise because what I found out was driving is 50% about confidence. The new woman driving Instuctor I had completely knocked my confidence and so my driving now is abysmal and my mum knocked it even more when I drove with her

I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with your instructor! Can you find/have you found another one that you get on with better? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yeah that's true I think! My instructor told me I have a 95% chance of passing first time, so now I'll probably feel even worse if I don't (even though I know it's nothing to be ashamed of).

I'm feeling somewhat confident for it, again it's just those easily forgotten/messed up things like shoulder checks, remembering to signal, timing mirror checks and signals right etc which might make me fail. I just hope I don't get asked to do a bay park honestly, because I'm hopeless at those :lol:

Thank you! How are you feeling for yours? :smile:

I done an emergency stop today (after my mock test) and instead of slamming my breaks on i slammed back down on the accelerator haha like totally floored the peddal i hope i never make an instructor scream in that way again 😂 im not feeling too bad just keep getting moments of the worst panic of my life butterflies the works but generally not feeling too bad if worst case itll be isteresting to see what i actually fail on
I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with your instructor! Can you find/have you found another one that you get on with better? :smile:

Well before my old instructor (who's now fully booked) I had another guy for 5 lessons and he was abysmal: he'd turn up to lessons late, would run errands to his house in my lessons (eg pick up his manual car because he turned up to my house with the automatic car because he mixed me up with someone else), was rude to me (said I drove like I'd been drinking whiskey the night before) and never took me off small housing roads.
I literally thought it was me that was the problem until I found my old Instuctor :frown: I've booked some lessons with him in December though so I'll see how that goes :frown: I just feel really awful about my driving and almost have a phobia of the road now which I didn't before because of my horrible experience with the 2 driving instructors and driving with my mum :frown:
I done an emergency stop today (after my mock test) and instead of slamming my breaks on i slammed back down on the accelerator haha like totally floored the peddal i hope i never make an instructor scream in that way again 😂 im not feeling too bad just keep getting moments of the worst panic of my life butterflies the works but generally not feeling too bad if worst case itll be isteresting to see what i actually fail on

Haha, oh dear! I did a similar thing a while back, I was going round a roundabout with traffic lights halfway round, which were red. I put the clutch down but totally forgot the brake, so my instructor had to brake for me :tongue:
Reply 9

Do not stay with that woman! Honestly the quicker you drop her and find someone else the less damage shes going to cause! I was with someone else previous and although he wasnt horrible or anything he made me feel like i was the only person that ever made the mistakes i was making and i felt like every lesson i was having i was having to tell myself to just get it over with it isnt forever. I decided to go with the woman my friends were telling me i needed to learn with and my god im so glad i did she threw me straight in at the deep end and just has so much patience. Tell you what though i dont know how ive learned anything we seem to just yap away the whole 2 hours 😂 please dont give up because of 1 bad person theres so many others out there
Well before my old instructor (who's now fully booked) I had another guy for 5 lessons and he was abysmal: he'd turn up to lessons late, would run errands to his house in my lessons (eg pick up his manual car because he turned up to my house with the automatic car because he mixed me up with someone else), was rude to me (said I drove like I'd been drinking whiskey the night before) and never took me off small housing roads.
I literally thought it was me that was the problem until I found my old Instuctor :frown: I've booked some lessons with him in December though so I'll see how that goes :frown: I just feel really awful about my driving and almost have a phobia of the road now which I didn't before because of my horrible experience with the 2 driving instructors and driving with my mum :frown:

I'm sure your confidence will come back after you've had a few good lessons again! Maybe stop driving with your mum for a while, just so your confidence doesn't crumble any further? You'll be fine, I promise! :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
Do not stay with that woman! Honestly the quicker you drop her and find someone else the less damage shes going to cause! I was with someone else previous and although he wasnt horrible or anything he made me feel like i was the only person that ever made the mistakes i was making and i felt like every lesson i was having i was having to tell myself to just get it over with it isnt forever. I decided to go with the woman my friends were telling me i needed to learn with and my god im so glad i did she threw me straight in at the deep end and just has so much patience. Tell you what though i dont know how ive learned anything we seem to just yap away the whole 2 hours 😂 please dont give up because of 1 bad person theres so many others out there

Yes I cancelled her after 2 lessons because I had enough. I had booked 3 lessons (but not prepaid) and she tried to make me pay for the 3rd but I had enough and said you can't make me I haven't signed a contract so she gave up.
And your new instructors sounds like my old one :frown: in my first lesson with him he took me to all these new places and threw me in the deep end but he made it clear that he had the confidence and belief in me which increased my confidence in myself :frown:
I've booked a few lessons with him for December (when i get back from uni) so hopefully it'll be okay :frown:
Yes I cancelled her after 2 lessons because I had enough. I had booked 3 lessons (but not prepaid) and she tried to make me pay for the 3rd but I had enough and said you can't make me I haven't signed a contract so she gave up.
And your new instructors sounds like my old one :frown: in my first lesson with him he took me to all these new places and threw me in the deep end but he made it clear that he had the confidence and belief in me which increased my confidence in myself :frown:
I've booked a few lessons with him for December (when i get back from uni) so hopefully it'll be okay :frown:

It definitely makes more sence to wait it out and get back in with him, my instructor was telling me she recently took someone on whos old instructor only let him drive her car for 15 minutes a lesson (out of a 2hr one) and spent the rest either driving herself or going over theory stuff with him 😲 it'd be funny if they werent so bloody expensive! I mean hes baisically been spending £30-£35 to learn something he can learn for free on the internet, now thats a bad instructor
So its just 11 hours until my test 😧 im absolutely bricking it! My heart feels like its going to come out of my chest! I really really need to try and get these nerves sorted before tomorrow!

On a better note i had a drive to my test centre today in my own car and done a test route and all went fine so thats boosted my confidence a little

Fingers crossed i can update with some amazing news tomorrow 😊
So its just 11 hours until my test 😧 im absolutely bricking it! My heart feels like its going to come out of my chest! I really really need to try and get these nerves sorted before tomorrow!

On a better note i had a drive to my test centre today in my own car and done a test route and all went fine so thats boosted my confidence a little

Fingers crossed i can update with some amazing news tomorrow 😊

I really hope nerves don't get the better of you tomorrow! Best of luck! Let me know how it goes :smile:
I really hope nerves don't get the better of you tomorrow! Best of luck! Let me know how it goes :smile:

Thank you 😀i will do! Fingers crossed we both pass!
Thank you 😀i will do! Fingers crossed we both pass!

Thanks! Yep, fingers crossed! :biggrin:
Just 1hr to go oh god im a nervous wreck! Id really like to never have to feel like this again! Please let me pass 😂
Reply 18
Good luck, report back with the good news. :biggrin:
Just 1hr to go oh god im a nervous wreck! Id really like to never have to feel like this again! Please let me pass 😂
PASSED :smile: 2 minors 1 for hesitation and 1 for speed (not going fast enough) had a 3 point turn. Cant believe ive done it! Not nearly as hard as the mock tests. The examiner literally didnt speak a word to me other thab directing me, i thought that would make it worse but i was so busy focusing on what i was doing i didnt really care!

Good luck for your test hope you do just a good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending