The Student Room Group

Do i need to fix my a levels to do a masters in anything, assuming i get a first?

Got the equivalent of BBC. Although I did get the highest politics mark in the country which was pretty cool(failed chemistry, did okay in biology)

Do i need to perk up my a levels or would a first degree in politics, plus my A******* at a level be good enough
They will only look at you degree classification when it comes to applying for the masters. By the end of 3+ years of studying your A-levels will be pretty much irrelevant. Getting a first/2:1 shows that you can buckle down and do well at uni, so unless you seriously mess up your undergrad, I don't think you'll have a problem
Reply 2
Alevels rarely factor in to it. Its based on degree class and reccomendations.
Reply 3
You don't have to give your A-levels in your master's application.
Original post by Mvpmb
Got the equivalent of BBC. Although I did get the highest politics mark in the country which was pretty cool(failed chemistry, did okay in biology)

Do i need to perk up my a levels or would a first degree in politics, plus my A******* at a level be good enough

If you get a first, don't bother fixing up your A Levels. Your first class would show you've come along way and improved a lot. Plus, your A Levels were years ago now, they're now a bit outdated with regards to gauging your ability.

Jeremy Corbyn had utter **** A Level grades. Yet he's been an MP for probably half a century and has probably amassed quite a bit of money . Shows you can propel yourself quite high in politics, even if your A Levels aren't a clean set of A*s.
Reply 5
My A levels were appalling but I got a 1st in undergrad and just got into UCL for the masters so I can only assume that A levels do not matter one bit in terms of securing a masters.
No.

At postgrad level no-one gives a monkey's about your A levels.
Original post by returnmigrant
No.

At postgrad level no-one gives a monkey's about your A levels.

This.
Reply 8
I have very bad GCSEs from 16 years ago. Never done A-levels. Worked in a totally different sector. After finding my passion (filmmaking), I created a portfolio and got myself onto a HNC Media course. Then went to University and got a 1st class honours. Now I'm about to start my masters this September after working for a year at the University I graduated from. My interviewee, for my masters, didn't care in the slightly about my previous qualifications, but was impressed that I took the courage to switch careers after finding my passion. The course was actually full as well. He got me onto a reserved list and someone dropped out and I dropped in lol. A good 1st degree and passion with some experience is all you need for a masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending