The Student Room Group

Am i aiming too low?

First of all **** off if you're gonna say useless things like 'nice troll' or 'only on tsr' im not trying to brag or whatever hence the anon but im really wondering about this ok.

Ok so basically i want to do Ba product Design at uni because i love art and PD and stuff however 2 days ago i found out that i got AAAA at AS and for GCSE i got 8 A*s and 2 As.

The problem is that the unis i've been to and really like all want quite low grades considering im predicted A*AA next year, they want BBB or BBC and idk if i'm really fulfilling everything of what might be open to me.

The problem is that this course is quite specific and not many unis offer it and i do really like the courses that i've seen. Ik in the grand scheme of things it is more about the course itself and for instance there is a course offering ABB but i didnt like it when i visited. I just dont want to have regrets later on.

Any advice? :redface: btw im not saying im guaranteed good grades, anything can happen but idk if i should be a bit more aspirational than what i am being.
thanks.

@SeanFM what do you think? since i cant pm :redface:
I think that if you enjoy this then you should do it, after all you won't be happy if you do something that you don't like!
Reply 2
Do what you love.

Ignore grades, just be happy you are not in the position where you have too poor grades you cant apply to what you really want to do.
Reply 3
There really isn't anything wrong with that :cute:

It's an easy trap to fall into: I can get high grades so I NEED to do something that needs high grades.

Just do what you want to do.
consider engineering instead of product design. it will make you more employable because you can apply to engineering jobs. there's also some overlap depending on the engineering discipline. e.g. look at design engineering courses.
Imperial Design Engineering A*AA - http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/713122/design-engineering?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2017&Query=design%20engineering&IsFeatherProcessed=True&MaxResults=1000&page=3&ret=providers#coursedetailsmenu
Bristol Engineering Design A*AA - http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/751167/engineering-design-with-study-in-industry?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2017&Query=design%20engineering&IsFeatherProcessed=True&ret=providers
Glasgow - Product Design Engineering AAB http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/745869/product-design-engineering?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2017&Query=design%20engineering&IsFeatherProcessed=True&MaxResults=1000&page=3&ret=providers
There's a ton more just use UCAS search

I hope that helped
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by xSailorMoonQueen
I think that if you enjoy this then you should do it, after all you won't be happy if you do something that you don't like!

Thank you :hugs:

Original post by soLit
Do what you love.

Ignore grades, just be happy you are not in the position where you have too poor grades you cant apply to what you really want to do.

That is true :yep: i suppose it will be less stressful next year if my choices are more realistic than aspirational

Original post by Napp
Troll.

This is why i hate this ****ing website.
Cant even ask a genuine question.

Original post by Alexion
There really isn't anything wrong with that :cute:

It's an easy trap to fall into: I can get high grades so I NEED to do something that needs high grades.

Just do what you want to do.

Thanks Alex :hugs:
it is mostly because the school always wants us to go to places like Cambridge and the fact that im doing 'arty' things in the first place is going against the norm as it is in a sea of potential lawyer, medics etc.
also some girl said i was wasting myself hence what triggered this post :redface:
Original post by Anonymous
First of all **** off if you're gonna say useless things like 'nice troll' or 'only on tsr' im not trying to brag or whatever hence the anon but im really wondering about this ok.

Ok so basically i want to do Ba product Design at uni because i love art and PD and stuff however 2 days ago i found out that i got AAAA at AS and for GCSE i got 8 A*s and 2 As.

The problem is that the unis i've been to and really like all want quite low grades considering im predicted A*AA next year, they want BBB or BBC and idk if i'm really fulfilling everything of what might be open to me.

The problem is that this course is quite specific and not many unis offer it and i do really like the courses that i've seen. Ik in the grand scheme of things it is more about the course itself and for instance there is a course offering ABB but i didnt like it when i visited. I just dont want to have regrets later on.

Any advice? :redface: btw im not saying im guaranteed good grades, anything can happen but idk if i should be a bit more aspirational than what i am being.
thanks.

If it's truly what you want to do then go ahead. But, keep in mind that's it's not the most finanicially viable course in terms of income after graduation.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-design-engineering/design-engineering/

This could be up your alley. It's a artistic and scientific take on engineering at one of the best universities in the U.K.
Reply 7

You can absolutely ask a genuine question and I can absolutely take the piss.

Either way it's more because you and i'll quote you here said '**** off' :rolleyes:
Reply 8
There is nothing better than doing what you love!
Thank you :hugs:

That is true :yep: i suppose it will be less stressful next year if my choices are more realistic than aspirational

Thanks Alex :hugs:
it is mostly because the school always wants us to go to places like Cambridge and the fact that im doing 'arty' things in the first place is going against the norm as it is in a sea of potential lawyer, medics etc.
also some girl said i was wasting myself hence what triggered this post :redface:

I would say don't forget about the unis you've looked at, but have a look round for the ones that have slightly higher entry requirements and see if you like them as well. I'd be surprised if you liked every uni you see but worth looking anyway :redface:
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If it's truly what you want to do then go ahead. But, keep in mind that's it's not the most finanicially viable course in terms of income after graduation.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-design-engineering/design-engineering/

This could be up your alley. It's a artistic and scientific take on engineering at one of the best universities in the U.K.

Thank you both for your advice, im not too worried about employability as the creative sector is massive and pretty much every corporate business/company has a design/marketing sector.
Those courses do look interesting but unfortunately im terrible at maths and didnt take maths or physics a level so wouldnt be eligible for them.
thank you for your advice though x

thanks.

Just aim to your maximum... maybe try a better university?
Just do what makes you happy!
if you took maths and physics, consider engineering. any of the disciplines (mech, civil, aeronautical). with one of these degrees, there's nothing to say you cant do something design relating after uni
As well as entry requirements, you also need to consider things like whether you want to live there for the next 3 year+.
Like other people said its better to do what you would enjoy then which one is higher rated. What is the job sector like in product design? Is it easier to get a job related to it if you go to a better uni or is the one your going to will be fine? If so then just go to the one you prefer the course at.
Also its other factors like the location of it. Would you prefer to go to a uni in a city like London or somewhere else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending