The Student Room Group

Let's talk about piracy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexion
Think about it.

If piracy were legal, no-one would buy legitimately and the creator would entirely lose out.
Well yes. But my question was more in relation to whether Piracy is theft/stealing.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Well yes. But my question was more in relation to whether Piracy is theft/stealing.

It's not theft of the property, it's theft of the profits that stand to have been made from that property.
Original post by Alexion
Yeah, the small artists really rely on it more and so each instance of piracy is gonna hit them harder...

Huge artists and corporations aren't really gonna lose out on a lot but they've still earned it.

I agree- I suppose the (arguably subjective) "quality" of the pirated item is an important thing to consider, people who produce better quality of music are more likely to demand more money, which in a way invites piracy, but at the same time the artists will continue to push up prices because they're making no royalties (well not the most famous ones) then people have to fork out more money hence are more likely to pirate! It's a vicious circle. I pirate myself for that reason. (music software) it costs far too much for me to afford everything I need and is readily accessible hence...
Original post by Alexion
It's not theft of the property, it's theft of the profits that stand to have been made from that property.

Exactly. Imagine if you forced your way into a hotel, but rather than stealing anything, you forced the owner to allow you to sleep in one of the rooms. You're not stealing a physical item, but you are wrongly appropriating something which other people pay for.
I too, am disappointed this isn't a thread about piracy on the high seas.

Shiver me timbers, Jim lad
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alexion

Unless the pirates gain from that loss then that might be stealing. But aren't the profits merely lost if no one gains anything, the creators are simply deprived of what they could gain?
Original post by Trinculo
I too, an disappointed this isn't a thread about piracy on the high seas.

Shiver me timbers, Jim lad

What I expected :moon:

What I got

Unless the pirates gain from that loss then that might be stealing. But aren't the profits merely lost if no one gains anything, the creators are simply deprived of what they could gain?

Even if the pirates don't gain it still constitutes theft.
Original post by Alexion
Even if the pirates don't gain it still constitutes theft.
But they never had any sort of profit from the sale because it was pirated. Stealing is to take without consent and have no intent of returning it. If the creators never gained anything to begin with then no one could possibly steal it if it never existed hence it's not stolen just lost. What do you think?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Sexathlete
Exactly. Imagine if you forced your way into a hotel, but rather than stealing anything, you forced the owner to allow you to sleep in one of the rooms. You're not stealing a physical item, but you are wrongly appropriating something which other people pay for.
But can't the same be said for adding water to bottled soap to have it last longer. The store loses out on the possible revenue gained from a customer buying another bottled soap. By that logic wouldn't doing so be theft?
But can't the same be said for adding water to bottled soap to have it last longer. The store loses out on the possible revenue gained from a customer buying another bottled soap. By that logic wouldn't doing so be theft?

No because you never entered into a contract dictating how you use the soap.
No because you never entered into a contract dictating how you use the soap.
Point of the example is that it couldn't be theft if it was non-existent. You cannot steal an immovable object. It's morally wrong but it is not stealing.
Point of the example is that it couldn't be theft if it was non-existent. You cannot steal an immovable object. It's morally wrong but it is not stealing.

intellectual property does exist, do you think your laptop runs on magic or electricity?
intellectual property does exist, do you think your laptop runs on magic or electricity?
Of course it does. But it was clearly outlined previously in the post that piracy is not theft in regard to property but the profits that could have been made. If no profit ever existed and the pirates (who don't use trojan viruses) don't gain any sort of money how is it theft if it's non-existent, if its an immovable object? Nothing has been taken because it was never there in the first place?
(edited 7 years ago)
Piracy is illegal, yes. But morally, I think it can be ambiguous at times.
Piracy against small artists = nono. Piracy when it comes to a thousand pound software necessary for your computing coursework on the other hand...

Quick Reply

Latest