The Student Room Group

Can I take art a-level if I want to do physics at uni?

I'm hoping to physics at, hopefully a good, university and I've already decided to take maths, further maths and physics a-level and I was going to take chemistry but I would much rather take art. I've checked a few university websites and they say I don't need chemistry but would it be harder without it?
i don't know about uni admissions much because i'm starting a levels too but I do know physics, maths (including FM) and art could help you get careers/degrees in architecture, video game design and animation, all interesting things to pursue with a fair amount of opportunity. so taking a-level art wouldn't at all be a void choice at all.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it would be useful if I know I want to do physics at university and as a career?
Original post by fernblaze
I'm hoping to physics at, hopefully a good, university and I've already decided to take maths, further maths and physics a-level and I was going to take chemistry but I would much rather take art. I've checked a few university websites and they say I don't need chemistry but would it be harder without it?

It really depends. You certainly can, and if you really enjoy art it will open up other options such as architecture.
The combination of Maths, Further Maths and Physics is the standard that most universities require to study Physics, however some top universities are likely to say that doing a fourth Science such as Chemistry would make you a more competitive candidate. Having said that, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage without Chemistry, as Physics at degree level is essentially a lot of Maths.
Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 4
I'd love to go to Oxford but I know that's going to be really hard so I'm also looking at Warwick and Birmingham.
I'd love to go to Oxford but I know that's going to be really hard so I'm also looking at Warwick and Birmingham.

In that case, Chemistry will make you a competitive candidate but is not essential for those Unis. You can almost definitely take Art without it having an impact - my offer for Warwick was only focussed on Physics Maths and Further Maths and I think it's the same for Oxford.

You'll be fine. If you took fm, maths and physics to full A2, along with art at AS, then you won't be disadvantaged.
Reply 7
ok, thanks for all of your help!
Reply 8
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You'll be fine. If you took fm, maths and physics to full A2, along with art at AS, then you won't be disadvantaged.

would that still be ok if I took art to A2 as well as we don't do AS at my school?
would that still be ok if I took art to A2 as well as we don't do AS at my school?

ONLY if you could cope with the other 3 subjects. I've heard from my friends that it's quite a workload with art.
Reply 10
Ok thanks for your help.
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
The combination of Maths, Further Maths and Physics is the standard that most universities require to study Physics, however some top universities are likely to say that doing a fourth Science such as Chemistry would make you a more competitive candidate. Having said that, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage without Chemistry, as Physics at degree level is essentially a lot of Maths.

What is this? You literally contradict yourself here. At first, you're convinced that the further maths/physics combo is a requirement, and hence a necessity which, without, would leave the OP disadvantaged. And later you state that without the combo, he wouldn't be at a disadvantage.

Now, let me debunk a few myths. If you want to study physics at degree level, physics at a level is the only requirement at the vast majority of institutes. Of course, maths will help you in your physics calculations as you will be required to some complex stuff, but the university will teach you all that. Otherwise, I doubt you'd be getting your money's worth.

And lastly, A levels is all about discovering the things you, OP, enjoy to do. If you enjoy art, then do it. You don't want any regrets. And you'd rather spend nights doing something you enjoy than grinding through anything you don't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr.purplelambkin
What is this? You literally contradict yourself here. At first, you're convinced that the further maths/physics combo is a requirement, and hence a necessity which, without, would leave the OP disadvantaged. And later you state that without the combo, he wouldn't be at a disadvantage.

Now, let me debunk a few myths. If you want to study physics at degree level, physics at a level is the only requirement at the vast majority of institutes. Of course, maths will help you in your physics calculations as you will be required to some complex stuff, but the university will teach you all that. Otherwise, I doubt you'd be getting your money's worth.

And lastly, A levels is all about discovering the things you, OP, enjoy to do. If you enjoy art, then do it. You don't want any regrets. And you'd rather spend nights doing something you enjoy than grinding through anything you don't.

What? You're the one not making any sense here, read my post again. I am stating that not doing Chemistry (which the OP said they could do instead of art) will not put them at a disadvantage, but would make them a more competitive applicant.

They are also talking about top institutions. Take it from someone with a Physical NatSci place at Cambridge that Maths is an absolute necessity at top universities such as Warwick, and Further Maths is most certainly favoured. In fact, lots of universities emphasise that without a level maths you are not doing yourself any favours for a Physics degree as they assume you already have the knowledge. Many who don't do A level Maths are left without the essential understanding of basic calculus that underpins a huge amount of Physical phenomena. I don't know of any good university that would spend precious lecture time teaching students basic A Level maths skills.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest