The Student Room Group

Are there any ways to make money at 16?

I'd like to first of all start by saying that I live in a pretty small area. Both that, and that I've been to pretty much every cafe or small business within sensible travelling distance that I believe would be able to hire me, and yet I'm not hearing back from anybody about anything. A lot of these places are ones which I've been to multiple times (my parents are constantly telling me that the only way I'll get hired is if I keep returning to each place I hand in a CV), and I've also been looking for local jobs online via sites such as 'Indeed', and searching and messaging local businesses on Facebook.

Not only is this frustrating due to the fact that I can't buy anything for myself (books, clothes, etc), but I'm starting college in September and there's no way that I'm going to be able to afford the £40 a month for a bus ticket (My parents said that they won't help, and I don't qualify for support with travel payments). I considered dog walking, but I recently found out that there are particular issues with insurance and first aid and things which I won't be able to pay for to begin with, let alone make enough money to pay insurance off, and I also considered babysitting, but a large number of people in my area are elderly, and my parents don't have any friends with small children.

Honestly, any sort of help or suggestions would be appreciated; I've been looking for a job since around June (as well as looking from June to December last year), and I'm just really stressed about how I'll be able to pay for the bus as of September.

Thanks.
Original post by chloeturner
I'd like to first of all start by saying that I live in a pretty small area. Both that, and that I've been to pretty much every cafe or small business within sensible travelling distance that I believe would be able to hire me, and yet I'm not hearing back from anybody about anything. A lot of these places are ones which I've been to multiple times (my parents are constantly telling me that the only way I'll get hired is if I keep returning to each place I hand in a CV), and I've also been looking for local jobs online via sites such as 'Indeed', and searching and messaging local businesses on Facebook.

Not only is this frustrating due to the fact that I can't buy anything for myself (books, clothes, etc), but I'm starting college in September and there's no way that I'm going to be able to afford the £40 a month for a bus ticket (My parents said that they won't help, and I don't qualify for support with travel payments). I considered dog walking, but I recently found out that there are particular issues with insurance and first aid and things which I won't be able to pay for to begin with, let alone make enough money to pay insurance off, and I also considered babysitting, but a large number of people in my area are elderly, and my parents don't have any friends with small children.

Honestly, any sort of help or suggestions would be appreciated; I've been looking for a job since around June (as well as looking from June to December last year), and I'm just really stressed about how I'll be able to pay for the bus as of September.

Thanks.

Try doing odd jobs such as gardening, car washing etc.
Is there any chance of getting a paper round?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending