The Student Room Group

Student Finance - What would I get?

Hi.. been ages since I posted on here..

So I want to go to University again.. what would I likely get from SFE?

I live in my own flat with a mortgage etc and I would really like to stay there and commute to and from university.. but obviously if finances dictated otherwise that wouldn't be possible :-(

I currently work as a Deputy Manager in a food store, I would drop to part time hours to support my studies but just wondering what they'll base my application on etc etc

TIA
How old are you and how many years have you previously studied for?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
How old are you and how many years have you previously studied for?

Sorry, I'm currently 22, and I studied for 3 months in Year 1 before I left.. HTH
Reply 3
You get funding for the number of years the course is plus an extra year. So you would get funding for the whole course since you haven't even gotten funding for a whole year.

I'm not sure how the living away from home is counted. As living at home is considered that you live with your parents meaning that your rent is most likely paid for which means you don't need as much money.
What did you study previously, what was the main reason why you left, and what are you planning to study now?
Reply 5
If you have supported yourself financially for three years then what you get is based on your earnings - if not it is based on your parent's earnings.

You will be entitled to have your tuition funded for your full course as you have only used up 1 years worth of funding.
Original post by Devify
You get funding for the number of years the course is plus an extra year. So you would get funding for the whole course since you haven't even gotten funding for a whole year.

I'm not sure how the living away from home is counted. As living at home is considered that you live with your parents meaning that your rent is most likely paid for which means you don't need as much money.

A few weeks counts as one year funding.
Reply 7
Original post by Devify

But I'm the one paying for my mortgage :-(

Original post by Jenx301
If you have supported yourself financially for three years then what you get is based on your earnings - if not it is based on your parent's earnings.

You will be entitled to have your tuition funded for your full course as you have only used up 1 years worth of funding.

I haven't for 3 years, but obviously I'm the one paying and they don't run my household etc..

Original post by William Pitt
What did you study previously, what was the main reason why you left, and what are you planning to study now?

Business Management, Depression/Mental Health issues, again a Business based subject.
Reply 8
Original post by 9217niall
But I'm the one paying for my mortgage :-(

You'll struggle. I could only afford uni once I'd paid off my mortgage. Student Finance assumes an undergrad will be living either in a rented room in Halls, or a room in a shared house. I can't see it covering any kind of mortgage. SF calculations take no account of your outgoings.

I haven't for 3 years, but obviously I'm the one paying and they don't run my household etc..

Unless you have been self-supporting for three full years before your course's start date, your SF entitlement will be based on your parents' income. Once you reach the three year mark or you're aged 25 (whichever comes first), you will be assessed on your own income.

Have you considered Open University study? You would only get a Tuition Fee Loan, but it's part-time so you could work alongside it.
Reply 9
Original post by 9217niall
I haven't for 3 years, but obviously I'm the one paying and they don't run my household etc.. .

Doesn't matter - if you haven't been supporting yourself 3 years then your student finance will be assessed based on your parents income

Quick Reply

Latest